Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what, if any natural glucosamine supplements are best, was using dasuquin till I read it has soy and a bunch of other crap, holistic pet shop lady says velvet antler (something like that) anyone have any suggestions

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Annie gets chicken/turkey/rabbit heads/feet for the natural source of glucosamine.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Chicken feet are a great source of glucosamine/chondroitin. People on my lab board also talk about using something called Canine Hylasport, and act like it is pretty great. You would have to google it though, I know nothing about it. I have also heard of using antler velvet.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This is what I have started giving Mateo--- (from Hare-Today)

" Green Lipped Mussel Powder, Human Grade $15.99
Green Lipped Mussel Powder, Human Grade

The Green Lipped Mussel has been found to have beneficial effects in relieving the pain, inflammation and symptoms associated with:

Osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease)
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Bursitis
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Sports Related Injuries
Lyme Disease
Inflammatory Skin Conditions
Connective Tissue Repair

The Green Lipped Mussel is grown on ropes suspended from platforms on the surface of the ocean.
The ocean is continuously monitored to ensure that the growing environment is free from pollution and other contaminants.
The mussels obtain their nutrients directly from the phytoplankton and minerals contained in the sea water.
When the mussels are at their peak, they are harvested.
The edible portion (excluding the shell) is freeze dried using low temperatures and vacuum to remove the water.
This preserves the integrity of the bioactive molecules and ensures the stability of the activity of the many nutrients.
Each lot of freeze dried Perna must pass the strict quality guidelines of the New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries.
Each batch is analyzed to insure the absence of pathogenic bacteria and heavy metals.

Container size: 6 ounce

Feeding Instructions:

Used as a top coat.
Dosage: 1000 - 2000mg daily for an optimal effect.
One level teaspoon is approximately 2000 MG
After two weeks or when you see results, reduce to ½ tsp/day which is about 1000-1200mg for maintenance.
There is no risk of toxicity ….so complete accuracy is not critical.

If used as a top coat or mixed with a serving each pound would yield approximately 650 daily servings. Added cost would be less than $.10 per daily serving.

Storage:

Store in a tightly, sealed container in a cool and dry area.
Keep away from strong light and heat.
This product is Non-GMO.
This product is not treated with ETO, nor is it Gamma irradiated."

I started taking it myself, too...

Also, I started him on a human grade glucosamine/chondroitin and MSM. However, because he eats trachea/gullet and chicken feet, it's not an every day thing...

·
Registered
851 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I use chicken feet and ground beef trachea lots of good stuff, worked for my boy pictured jumping in the pic, along with exercise physical therapy
He had a little tear in his knee and an inside pulled muscle he is awesome now

No surgery

·
Registered
218 Posts
Rosey gets connectin, a therapeutic dose of salmon oil, plus laser and water therapy. The combination of these things is working out great for her :) Plus she gets feet and trachea/gullet as well.

Reactions: magicre

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Here's what I do for my arthritis girl:

Acupuncture/aquapuncture/laser therapy 2 times monthly. I've found that a good variety of treatments are best by mixing things up on a rotational basis.

Aquapuncture treatment is basically where a small injection is made at each acupressure point either using vitamin B12 OR her monthly Adequan dose.

Laser acupuncture is using a therapy laser beam to hit the acupressure points instead of dry needles.

If you can't find any TCM/acupuncture vets I would at least recommend giving monthly doses of Adequan. I've had really good success with this stuff. Read up more here:

Animal Health Products - Horse Arthritis - Luitpold Animal Health

I found that the glucosamine supplements never really worked well for miss Emmy. But this stuff above works wonders.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
When I looked up Connectin I was really impressed with the ingredients. So, on to Amazon I went and discovered that there are 2 formulas: one with Hyaluronic Acid, and one with Mucopolysaccharides. The other ingredients appear to be the same.

Which one do you all swear by?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have looked at the ingredients in the connectin, I worry cause she is on prozac that something will not react well with it... I have down the laser and water therapy, my husband and I where just talking about putting her back on the regimen.... calling a holistic vet in the am to see what is safe for her, and calling her regular vet to lower her prozac dose ( I think this is whats making her seem like she has a bit of dementia

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why is she on prozac?
Dr Dodman from Tufts put her on it 8 years ago, for fear/protective agression.... he started using it to treat dogs with certain behavior issues. it work well she had only an problem every once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
we use joint aid 4 dogs. it really seems to work for our 14 yr. old cattle dog. it is made by a small company in woodinville WA."Grizzly pet products". we use the sensitive tummy formula, this aids in loose stool problems.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts