Dog Food Chat banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks. I need you to think like a potential puppy owner and answer this question. OK?

When you have decided to buy a puppy, which is easier a easier program for the buyer when getting a new pup - kibble or raw?

As a breeder, we are faced with the difficult decision when it is time to wean the pups from their mom. So do you think puppy buyers find it more convenient to get a pup that is on kibble or one that is on a raw diet.

Part of me says that kibble pups can be switched to raw once the owners get comfortable with and a handle on raw feeding. Many puppy owners have never heard of feeding a raw diet and would have to taught how to do it.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I say start the OWNERS in the right direction from the beginning by telling them you will only honor your health guarantee if they continue with the raw diet and if they need guidance then you will do that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
As a potential and futur3 pupy buyar i wud probabley b put of by raw fedng unlas da bredar rilly put a lot of 3fort in educatng me
as!1111!11 wtf a pupy bred3r i wud probabley try mah bst 2 get teh pot3ntial buy3rs on board wit raw!!!1!11 wtf lol i wud s3nd tham information etc on da hows and y of raw fedng!1!!!!1 omg lol i bleive it si important 2 start a pup on raw as son as posible for maximum health bn3fit!1!!!!1! Wtf lol

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Anyone who was put off and unwilling to educate themselves about canine nutrition wouldn't be a candidate for a potential buyer of one of MY puppies. Bull Terrier breeders that I know who feed raw to their litters have no problem finding the right candidates for their puppies, but then again these breeders don't advertise their litters, they already have potential buyers on a waiting list.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Personally, I would much prefer a raw feed puppy, but, I think kibble would be more acceptable to the majority of potential new owners.
The reason being that in all my travels round here for the past 3-1/2 years, talking and meeting untold dog owners at agility, dog park, just all round the place, I have met only one other raw feeder.
It seems that most people think it is too much bother, listen to their vet who tells them its dangerous, they worry about the kids and contamination, all the normal reasons we come across, or, they just gaze at me as if I'm nuts. In short, most people (round here anyway) would not comtemplate buying a puppy if they had to feed raw.
But, maybe you live in a more open-minded part of the country!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Many of the raw feeding breeders I know will only sell to buyers who agree to feed a raw diet. I guess a lot depends on how much in demand your pups are as to how demanding you can be about their life after they leave you. I would still wean them to raw.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
As a potential and futur3 pupy buyar i wud probabley b put of by raw fedng unlas da bredar rilly put a lot of 3fort in educatng me
as!1111!11 wtf a pupy bred3r i wud probabley try mah bst 2 get teh pot3ntial buy3rs on board wit raw!!!1!11 wtf lol i wud s3nd tham information etc on da hows and y of raw fedng!1!!!!1 omg lol i bleive it si important 2 start a pup on raw as son as posible for maximum health bn3fit!1!!!!1! Wtf lol
*jaw drops*

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Who the heck wrote THIS illegible junk? Can't be spookychick!

·
Registered
62 Posts
What's easier for the dog to change? from kibble to raw or from raw to kibble? then go with the lowest common denominator it will make things easier for the dog.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many of the raw feeding breeders I know will only sell to buyers who agree to feed a raw diet. I guess a lot depends on how much in demand your pups are as to how demanding you can be about their life after they leave you. I would still wean them to raw.
My dogs are usually sold before they are born. :biggrin:

I have converted several buyers to raw but the majority want a kibble. And it is by far easier to from kibble to raw!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My dogs are usually sold before they are born. :biggrin:

I have converted several buyers to raw but the majority want a kibble. And it is by far easier to from kibble to raw!
You asked what I thought and I told you. :smile: I think if someone gets a puppy alread fed raw, he is more likely to stay on raw than to go through the process of switching. BUT, saying that, I have never raised a litter of puppies nor have I delt with buyers.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You asked what I thought and I told you. :smile: I think if someone gets a puppy alread fed raw, he is more likely to stay on raw than to go through the process of switching. BUT, saying that, I have never raised a litter of puppies nor have I delt with buyers.
And I appreciate your thoughts and would prefer to wean to raw; BUT, some buyers can be a real ..... challenge? LOL :eek:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
And I appreciate your thoughts and would prefer to wean to raw; BUT, some buyers can be a real ..... challenge? LOL :eek:
Life is a challenge. :smile: Like I said I know some raw feeding breeders who will absolutely not sell their puppies unless the buyers agree to feed raw. Then there are the breeders who will not guarantee their puppies unless the pups are fed Purina Puppy Chow. Most are somewhere in between. :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Obviously some people on here are way to serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I thought it would be endearing, like Doc's redneck shtick! ;)
Sorry. It was so painfully difficult to decipher that I thought that someone illiterate tweener had spoofed your account. :redface:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I HATE "leet speak" like that, so it was freaking painful to write too. ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
y shucks. it aint dat hard to type how uins talk. Ma and Pa sayz jest writ it like it sounds. And mosta da foks will knowd wot you iza tryin to say. Now y'all lower urself a tad and enjoy bein enter dused to sum coltur. Besides, I cant understand a dayum ting all uins yanks are a sayin!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
As a breeder, I would keep the best interest of the puppies above the convenience of the "buyers." I would structure MY breeding program the way I feel it should be done, and care for MY puppies the way that I feel they SHOULD be cared for. As a breeder, YOU call the shots. I wuld not tweak my procedure to accomodate "the market" by any means. If a "buyer" has an issue with the way you do things, don't sell to them. They'll find a breeder that better suits what they're looking for. this applies to ALL breeding ethics and practices, not just feeding. none of this convenience and in demand junk matters if you're breeding for the right reasons and not for a quick sale.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.