Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had NO luck w/ my pup, I posted about who wont eat raw anymore. I tryed everything that you all suggested and she wouldent eat anything! Afterclose to 20 hours I had to give her something she would eat because She has a past w/ low blood sugar seizures. So I thought I would quickly cook her meat to sear the outside and maybe she would prefer that better!
SCORE! She ate a huge plate of food!
So for her next meal, I did a even shorter searing on one side of the meat and she ate! So im wondering what you all think about this? I dont mind doing it, and she prefers it. Im hoping that since im not fully cooking her meat that it's not killing as much nutrients as fully cooked. Am I wrong?
Im hopeing to eventually moving into a half seared meat half fully raw and see if she is still picky over the smell. Then maybe moving to all raw once again when she is used to it...what do you think?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm not sure what I call "seared" and what you call "seared" are exactly the same thing. I call it searing when you drop a piece of meat into a hot pan for 2 or 3 seconds, turn it over for 2 or 3 seconds and take it up. The whole process is about 5 seconds. From your wording, I think you may be doing much more than that.

But to answer your question, I see nothing wrong with what you are doing as long as over time you cook or sear less and less. Over time you should be able to get it down to nothing. Regardless, what you are doing is far better than feeding kibble. Hopefully you are not cooking or searing enough to make bone brittle.

One more quick note: If you are feeding a strictly prey model raw diet, I don't think low blood sugar seizures will be as much of a problem. Without carbs in the diet, sugar levels should be much more stable.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i think that sometimes we have to be smarter than the dog...and i think you're doing that...

why not try it for a week....and then next week, sear it for two seconds per side instead of three...

every dog moves at their own pace...

maybe your dog has a problem with skin..have you tried removing the skin?

RFD can tell you that my dogs had to be started out with no skin, no excess fat and no excess organs and they were fed chicken backs for two weeks just to kick it off...

i've read where owners have given their dogs beef and liver the first week and everything was rosy...

i've also read where dogs had to be force fed liver...

it's like having kids....figure out a way to hide the broccoli and you'll outsmart the dog :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the sweet responce! The funny thing is, when I started both dogs (maltese and lab) they both dug into every type of meat and organs they could get. My lab will still eat ANYthing, but my Malt is the problem child!

I never give her skins really, she has never eaten them, the few times she did she had some messy poops...not fun! lol
but thank you, im still quickly searing and only on one side for a few seconds. I think it's the smell of the seard meat that she just cant resist...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts