Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm starting (slightly) to warm up to the idea of raw, and though going the prepared route to start might be a good way to make the transition. (please don't jump all over me).

The Next Generation Raw

i have contacted them to see if they can provide ingredient analysis, for some reason, i can't seem to find anything about ingredients on the site. the price is supposed to be comparable to a premium kibble which we are currently feeding now anyways (1 on Acana provincials, 1 on CaliNat)
this was recommended to us over Nature's Variety version, and i like that it is local.

any thoughts are much appreciated.
tia.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You have to start somewhere!!! And even pre made raw is a step in the right direction. You ultimately have to do what you feel comfortable doing.

It's hard to give an opinion on the product with no ingredient list...so if/when you hear back let us know what they say :wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i'm starting (slightly) to warm up to the idea of raw, and though going the prepared route to start might be a good way to make the transition. (please don't jump all over me).

The Next Generation Raw

i have contacted them to see if they can provide ingredient analysis, for some reason, i can't seem to find anything about ingredients on the site. the price is supposed to be comparable to a premium kibble which we are currently feeding now anyways (1 on Acana provincials, 1 on CaliNat)
this was recommended to us over Nature's Variety version, and i like that it is local.

any thoughts are much appreciated.
tia.
it would also concern me about not having ingredients and ratios listed.

do you live near one of their retailers? perhaps you could call?

i would also be concerned about cost, even though they are pugs...i have a pug too and a corgi mix....and these things come in 1/4 pound patties...that's expensive...even for small dogs....

one of the things i've learned about feeding raw is by allowing them to dance with their food and become one with it and gnaw, crunch, mash....it builds their jaw and neck muscles....allows them to, in a way, get back to nature....eat the way they were meant to.....and allow their digestive systems a chance to go back to the way it was meant to function...

by feeding ground, certainly, it's better than kibble....and i'm not jumping on you at all...we all have to begin in a way that is comfortable for us...

on the other hand, you're taking this wonderful step for your dogs' benefit and ground with bone allows them to inhale their food, rather than do what used to come naturally....

i won't comment on the veggie matter, since some feed prey model and some feed a barfy model....i personally don't think dogs need veggies...but that's my thinking...

i'm sure there are people who don't give their dogs supplements, but i do...

so in many ways we are all different....

one thing is for certain.....since i switched over...watching my malia crunch and methodically gnaw her way through a hearty piece of beef or chicken or pork or llama...it's a thing of beauty to watch....and so satisfying to her...

there might come a time when i feed ground, only because i want to give them buffalo and i can't find it....or some other food that isn't readily available to me...otherwise...

read some of the stickies, why don't you.....and maybe it will change your mind, not to mention, save you some money.....

by the way....your pugs are adorable...:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to give an opinion on the product with no ingredient list...so if/when you hear back let us know what they say :wink:
This is the response I got :

"I don't have all the ingredients listed on the website, no. But I CAN tell you that all the vegetable blends do contain the same veggies in every batch: In order by weight: Romaine lettuce, carrots, dandelion, kale, collards, sweet potato, zucchini, apple

The Do It yourself meats only contain that particular protein: ie: the Beef & organ contains beef trim, beef heart, and beef liver. Nothing else.

The Botanical blends contain no veggies, but do contain a selection of grasses and herbs, as well as oil, kelp and alfalfa. "

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
read some of the stickies, why don't you.....and maybe it will change your mind, not to mention, save you some money.....

by the way....your pugs are adorable...:)
Thank you :) I should post a newer picture, Stanley is the same size as Bella now!!

We still have 2 small bags of kibble to finish which will give me lots of time to continue reading stickies and do more research.
Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
24The Do It yourself meats only contain that particular protein: ie: the Beef & organ contains beef trim, beef heart, and beef liver. Nothing else.
Yes, it may contain those things but in what percentage of each...is it mostly heart, mostly liver or mostly trim? Is every batch exactly the same? How much fat is there percentage wise?

What do the other protein patties contain by weight? What is their exact composition?

The Botanical blends contain no veggies, but do contain a selection of grasses and herbs, as well as oil, kelp and alfalfa. "
What herbs? What grasses? And why do they choose these ingredients?

Personally I wouldn't consider this food source because its just too vague. They should have exact ingredients, their compositions in each formula, how much fat/protein is included, etc. There are about 1000 other questions I could come up with for this food, but they should have that information readily available to anyone who asks. My guess if they don't have nutritional break down and ingredients already configured, that they don't really know for sure, which to me is not acceptable.

Ask them the questions that I have asked and see what they say...

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Pre-made raw is a step in the right direction, so good for you!

I'm with natalie on this one though. They just don't provide enough information for me to have any confidence in the food. Ingredients especially are not something you should have to email to obtain. Even after getting a response, can you really say you know much about the makeup of this food?

I prefer to see companies who lay it all out on the line, and this one really seems to have something to hide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts