Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what cuts of beef are good to feed dags...

Obviously anything without a bone, but what cuts with bone are decent? I know it's different per the size of the dog as well. My dog is about 25lbs. if that helps anything. :smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Beef ribs are great but don't have a ton of meat on them. I basically feed any cut of beef I can get at a decent price. However, you aren't supposed to feed weight bearing bones or odd-shaped bones.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Beef is tricky. The ONLY bone in beef source we feed is beef ribs. And those are more of a treat than meal. The bones are not too tough but also not too soft that they just crunch up. We give one rack of beef ribs to the girls a week. We throw out all the old bones from the previous week and replace them with fresh ones. Some of them will be eaten entirely, but others will be cleaned of the meat and left alone.

Beef heart is really the only other cut of meat that we feed. Most beef sources are just way too high in price for us to spend on, we have ~400 pounds of dog to feed on a daily basis!!! :eek:

I know that stew beef can be relatively cheap $2-3 per pound range depending what your budget is.

I know that some people here feed oxtail, which is beef, but I don't like it enough to feed it on a regular basis...kinda like pork neck bones.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My MIL gave me a ton of ground beef, so I have used that to add meat to a beef rib. it's not the most ideal, but at least she's getting the meat from the ground beef, and still chewing off the bone from the rib.

Beef is really expensive. I have a hard time finding it at a decent price. An asian market here sells boneless beef shank for $2/lb and I buy it when it goes on sale for less, but that's not very often and they don't seem to have a lot to stock up on sales.

I buy ox tail if it is on really really good sale, but it's very rare it's marked down enough to convince me to buy it. It's not my favorite thing to buy, grissom loves it though so if it's cheap enough I let him indulge a little.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...that's pretty much what I've heard across the board. And beef is quite expensive here too.

Since it doesn't seem that much can come out of the beef department, what else besides chicken do you feed? Do the majority of people keep their PMR diet chicken based?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Our dogs only get chicken once a week, if that. Ours eat turkey, fish, pork, beef heart, organs, game meats (venison, elk, etc). We strive to feed a different protein source each day. If they have a bone dense meal one day, the next we will do something that is mostly if not exclusively muscle meat. We also fast them once a week or so.

Bailey the biggest dog gets 2 whole tilapia every morning for breakfast, and whatever everyone else is getting for dinner at night (she is the only dog of ours that eats AM/PM because she is twice the size of everyone so its easier to feed her two meals)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Yeah...that's pretty much what I've heard across the board. And beef is quite expensive here too.

Since it doesn't seem that much can come out of the beef department, what else besides chicken do you feed? Do the majority of people keep their PMR diet chicken based?
I feed two meals per day. One of them is always chicken.
I feed turkey and pork a couple times a week. I do beef once a week, and fish once a week. I throw in other things when I can get it at a reasonable price, like game meat, rabbit, goat, lamb, etc. but I can't always get my hands on them.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha...so from the sound of it, it can be pretty much anything I want it to be...

Thing that I'm wondering too...how much bone should be ingested? I'm more concerned about him getting not enough than too much if I slowly use less chicken and more big-boned critters. :confused: So much stuff to think about!!! lol

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Haha...so from the sound of it, it can be pretty much anything I want it to be...
That is one of the biggest perks of the raw diet. You are in control of what your dog eats and when. But it has to be done right, not just arbitrarily. Keep in mind the 1:1:8 ratio of bones to organ to meat ratio and you should be good. Feed mostly meat, some bone and some organ :wink:

Thing that I'm wondering too...how much bone should be ingested? I'm more concerned about him getting not enough than too much if I slowly use less chicken and more big-boned critters. :confused: So much stuff to think about!!! lol
Bone ingested is only 10% or so of the diet...that is not very much in the grand scheme of things.

I would say that we feed at least 3-4 bone in meals a week. If you do a chicken, turkey and pork meal a week, you are set on bone because all three meats are typically bone in.

The thing to look for when gaging how much bone your dog needs is to keep an eye out on their stool. If it comes out all white and kinda powdery you know that he is getting too much bone. If it comes out kinda soft serve gooey you know that he is getting too little bone. With studying poo for a while you will soon become a poo expert and know exactly is too much or too little.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep in mind the 1:1:8 ratio of bones to organ to meat ratio and you should be good. Feed mostly meat, some bone and some organ :wink:
Oh I am so glad you posted that...I knew there was a ratio to follow and that I had seen it somewhere I just didn't know where. I was hoping I was remembering it right...thankfully I was. :biggrin:

Bone ingested is only 10% or so of the diet...that is not very much in the grand scheme of things.

I would say that we feed at least 3-4 bone in meals a week. If you do a chicken, turkey and pork meal a week, you are set on bone because all three meats are typically bone in.

The thing to look for when gaging how much bone your dog needs is to keep an eye out on their stool. If it comes out all white and kinda powdery you know that he is getting too much bone. If it comes out kinda soft serve gooey you know that he is getting too little bone. With studying poo for a while you will soon become a poo expert and know exactly is too much or too little.
Well from the sounds of it, so far, so good. I must say...I'm loving the no smell thing. :tongue:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome!!! Thank you so much for all your help in this thread, and my rabbit one, and future ones I'm sure. :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts