Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in here that the reason to give chicken wings with bone in is to give the dog fiber and keep stools moving. What else can replace chicken bone? I guess more specifically, what's another good source of fiber?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Chicken bones. :wink:

Seriously though, bones are also the main source of dietary calcium for dogs so they are pretty essential. That's why a lot of commercial dog food has bone meal in it. But when fed as whole raw bones, there is a huge dental benefit that is unavailable through meals or other "fiber" sources.

You should feed chicken bones ONLY when they are raw and they should always have enough meat on them to force your dog to chew on them rather than gulp them (the amount of meat depends on the size of your dog and its eating habits). Wings are ideal for smaller breeds.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Bones do not have fiber in them. The minerals within the bone acts as a constipator which binds stool to REPLACE a dogs need for fiber.

You can replace chicken bones with other sources of bone like turkey or pork. But to replace bone with other actual fiber sources you will have to cross over into the homecooked or kibble section, both of which are not a species appropriate diet.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
So without feeding bones I shouldn't be feeding raw?
If you feed prey model raw or raw meaty bones style, absolutely not. Bones are an essential part of the diet. Even though you only feed a small amount of bone overall, it's not something that can be omitted. You'd see horrible diarrhea first off, but also all the vitamins and minerals provided from the bone would be missing...

You could feed BARF style or homecooked and skip the bones. You'd have to add in rice, corn or potatoes AND a mineral/vitamin supplement to the diet to replace bone. I cannot help you with this style of feeding. But there are some here that can.

You seem afraid of bones...do you mind talking about it? This way we may help you get over your fears and really headed in the right direction!

Good luck with whatever you decide...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WHY would you feed raw without bones? :confused: :confused:
She doesn't do chicken. Other poultry is questionable. Really don't see that I'll be getting rabbit at an affordable price.

I'm not planning on doing prey model raw. If it's PMR or nothing then I guess we're headed back to kibble, but I was hoping to keep the raw I've been feeding going.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even though you only feed a small amount of bone overall, it's not something that can be omitted. You'd see horrible diarrhea first off, but also all the vitamins and minerals provided from the bone would be missing...
I've been giving her raw for the last week or so (no bones) and her poops have been tiny and hard. In fact she had a bit of diarrhea before the raw (she had an upset tummy, which is why I decided to do a few days of raw and ended up just sticking with it) but now she barely seems to poop at all! lol! :biggrin:

You could feed BARF style or homecooked and skip the bones. You'd have to add in rice, corn or potatoes AND a mineral/vitamin supplement to the diet to replace bone.
She gets a daily multi with breakfast and dinner. It's Joint Mobility by Wholistic Canine Canine Complete (it's a daily blend of vitamins and minerals called Canine Complete, plus joint supplements). I was adding rice the first few days but stopped because of all the anti-grain info. I'll add it back in though since it seems important. I guess I could try potatoes too, she's never had those. I've also been adding in banana, mainly because she loves them. Figured the potassium wouldn't hurt either

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, bones are essential to a raw diet.

But ... they are only 10% of the diet. I wouldn't give up yet. Especially if she is doing well on it.

Have you tried bashing up a chicken wing with a hammer so it's floppy? She might eat it that way if it was easier to eat.

Some pork bones are edible. What size of dog is she? Pork ribs work for many larger dogs. Also, riblets have edible bone. My Walmart carries lamb breast which has a lot of fat on it, but it is a rack of lamb bones with a little meat. If you trimmed off the fat, that would be great edible bone.

If it came down to stopping raw because she won't eat bones at all, then I'd do a ground mix that was bone heavy (maybe grind chicken necks or backs with some beef or chicken) and feed that on the days when she needs bone.

You CAN do this. Don't give up just because you hit a snag.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I find it strange you haven't seen diarrhea yet with no bone added in. What kind of dog do you have?

When you say "she doesn't do chicken" that is a classic sign of a picky eater. If you cater to her whims she will walk all over you in other aspects as well. I would use the tough love approach with her. You are the owner and you decide what she eats and when. Eventually she will come around and eat what you choose for her, whether that be chicken bones or whatever. This is personally my opinion on what I think you should do and what the best solution to your dilemma.

ETA: I would definitely try smashing or grinding up the bones for her and see how she doesn't with that. Sometimes that's all a dog needs to figure out how to eat raw bones, eventually you'd smash and grind less and less until she is able and willing to eat whole bones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I guess I should have been more clear. She'll eat chicken, but it gives her horrible diarrhea and other problems. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it an allergy (I don't like how every eating problem seems to be called an "allergy" now) but it is definitely an intolerance. Turkey is slightly better but not for long. She does best on red meat and I've been adding some pork in because she loves it.

As for the no diarrhea, I guess I'm just lucky? She's full lab, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not. She does have a bit of a sensitive tummy so if diarrhea is the usual result then I'm thanking my lucky stars :smile: We've had zro diarrhea, not even loose stools. In fact there's so little poop at all, and it's so hard, that sometimes I wonder if she's constipated. Doesn't seem like it though.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The chicken you have given her, was it raw? Or in kibble form?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She's had it all. I first noticed when she had chicken kibble. Raw chicken had the same effect. Boiled chicken doesn't seem quite as bad but after a few days it's squirt city. She just doesn't do well on chicken. That's not really up for debate. My question is about what can replace chicken bones.

Sorry, I appreciate all the info offered, but I don't want to feel forced into feeding her something that she clearly does not do well on. Right now she seems to be doing very well on the meat I'm feeding her, I just want to make sure she's getting everything she needs in the long term.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sorry, I appreciate all the info offered, but I don't want to feel forced into feeding her something that she clearly does not do well on. Right now she seems to be doing very well on the meat I'm feeding her, I just want to make sure she's getting everything she needs in the long term.
Nobody is trying to force you into doing anything. Just educate you on something you're learning about. Collectively we have a LOT of experience helping people with these issues.

If you won't feed chicken because you believe she has an intolerance (I'd wager she doesn't though if properly introduced to it) you can feed just about any other kind of bone that's not weight bearing.

She's had it for as long as 3+ weeks. She's had breast and thighs. No skin.
There's the problem right there. When starting out they need HIGH bone content like chicken backs. There's too much meat on the breast and thighs.

The bone acts as a "constipator" essentially binding things up til their system adjusts.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, as far as raw chicken goes, I wouldn't expect anything less than diarrhea if it was fed without bone. It's highly unlikely that your dog has an allergy to chicken, particularly to raw chicken. But if it was boneless, diarrhea would be a normal outcome.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, thanks for all the help but I guess we're at the end of the road here. Her first chicken was in kibble form. It wasn't until much later she had it in any other form. And she has no diarrhea on ANY other meat. No bone in any of them.

I realize no one is forcing me to feed her anything but when I have repeatedly stated she does not do well on chicken (not just diarrhea, that's just what I notice first) and all I get back is to feed her chicken, well it's not very helpful. I was asking for a solution that would ensure my dog is getting a balanced diet overall. If that can not be accomplished without chicken then I guess raw is not the choice for us.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I haven't seen anyone tell you that it's chicken or nothing??

I said in my last post that if you feel you cannot feed chicken just feed other bone in meats that aren't weight bearing bones.

There is a plethora of options that aren't chicken.

Again, we're just trying to help you understand things...

Back to your original question... "what can replace chicken bone"

rabbit bone
turkey bone
fish bone
pork bone
deer bone
antelope bone
llama bone
rat/mouse bone
etc
etc
etc

ANY bone from an animal that's not a major weight bearing bone (like cow bones)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"what can replace chicken bone"

rabbit bone
turkey bone
fish bone
pork bone
deer bone
antelope bone
llama bone
rat/mouse bone
etc
etc
etc

ANY bone from an animal that's not a major weight bearing bone (like cow bones)
Thank you that's what I've been wanting to know. Some of them will be out of my price range, but I'm working on getting a lower price at my local store for ground turkey wings. She can only do turkey for a short bit before the bad effects kick in but then I'll switch to something else.

Is it correct that canned mackerel has the bone in it? And as far as pork bone goes, which cuts should I be looking for that have small enough bones to eat? Do I need to hammer those out too so they're small enough?

I would love to get some salmon with bone because of the Omegas. With fish bones I don't need to worry about her choking on them?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts