Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
pork feet?

canned clams, crab and shrimp?

Octopus?

Oxtail?

Chicken feet?

Duck feet?

Can Chicken Hearts replace beef heart?

Whole rabbits, inclusive of skin and fur from a rabbit breeder who breeds for reptile food? (a CL find I'm unsure of)

What's your take on these items. Benefits, risks, use, etc.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
pork feet?

Sure! I think they can be stinky though

We'll feed some shrimp as a treat when we're thawing some for ourselves. Never had much interest in canned clams though

Octopus?

I'd give it a try. We got a shark steak in one of our scores from CL!

Oxtail?

Why not? Can't hurt to add into the rotation

Chicken feet?

Yep

Duck feet?

Yep

Replace? They're a definite alternative. I'd feed both if I could

Whole rabbits, inclusive of skin and fur from a rabbit breeder who breeds for reptile food? (a CL find I'm unsure of)

HECK YES!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I'm hesitant to suggest shrimp or other shell fish for dogs to eat. For one, its really not a part of a diet they would get in the wild, for obvious reasons. I think that shrimp have given Bailey a mild allergic reaction before. Slight swelling of the face and hives.

The rest of it is ok...but not ideal. Not worth throwing into the mix in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, variety is great, but you don't want to go over board with it and do more harm than good. Me personally would just stick to the protein sources that would be obvious prey to a wolf, or as best I can (tilapia is not something a typical wolf would eat on a regular basis...but hey, its cheaper/safer than salmon which can be a part of their natural diet).

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pork feet?

Sure! I think they can be stinky though

Chicken feet?

Yep

Duck feet?

Yep
Okay, would these be considered as something to give as a treat, or can I include it in meal time? I have no idea the texture/ density of these, juse saw them at Ranch 99 for < $1/lb.. and wondered if I could use them for anything. Do I remember reading something about chicken feet having joint benefits or am I totally imagining things? Champ has weak knees.

We'll feed some shrimp as a treat when we're thawing some for ourselves. Never had much interest in canned clams though

Octopus?

I'd give it a try. We got a shark steak in one of our scores from CL!
Okay, is there any kind of seafood to stay away from? I know to freeze salmon for a couple weeks first. I went

HECK YES!
Should I ask Jon to skin them?Annie ate a mouse with fur once ad the fur came out... well, as fur... and she had a hard time passing it.
Can I trust that "bred-for-reptile-food" is ok quality?

·
Banned
493 Posts
Hey, check out my thread I just put up called Prey 4 Pets. There's a site that also included some of these things for your pet. It isn't that badly priced wither. You can get all kinds of feet, wing, intestines, organs, whole carcasses, etc. As I said, check out my thread for more info.:smile:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've fed pigs feet and chicken feet (paws). As i've read chicken feet are good for joints because of all the cartilage. They are no more than a quick snack for my guys though, I usually keep them frozen and give as a treat. They aren't cheap enough to make a regular part of the diet, plus they are very bony.
Pigs feet take mine a long time to chew/eat so it's good to keep them busy... however they don't seem to like them a whole lot and will sometimes just leave them after a while.
I buy oxtail any time I find it on sale. The dogs love it. I get it because I don't get much beef otherwise.

I would love a local source of whole rabbit! I would prefer them skinned, just because I don't have a yard and it'd be way too messy to deal with in the house but there is no reason they couldn't eat it with the fur/ most of which they would probably pull out before eating. It is normal for the poop to contain fur since they don't digest it. Sometimes I see scat in the woods that is almost nothing but fur.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to buy the chicken feet as an every now and then treat for them. Mostly for Champ.
I emailed the rabbit guy, and we're going to buy 5-10lbs from him... I'm hoping I can work out a deal with him. At 1.25/lb I don't mind buying about 5 lbs a month but if I could get it for $1/lb, I'd buy about 15lbs a month. we'll see. I might have Jon skin them, though. Poor bunnies, i could never do it!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Okay, would these be considered as something to give as a treat, or can I include it in meal time? I have no idea the texture/ density of these, juse saw them at Ranch 99 for < $1/lb.. and wondered if I could use them for anything. Do I remember reading something about chicken feet having joint benefits or am I totally imagining things? Champ has weak knees.

Okay, is there any kind of seafood to stay away from? I know to freeze salmon for a couple weeks first. I went

Should I ask Jon to skin them?Annie ate a mouse with fur once ad the fur came out... well, as fur... and she had a hard time passing it.
Can I trust that "bred-for-reptile-food" is ok quality?
I found someone that gives me whole rabbit, and the boys LOVE it. They like figuring out how to get thru a new thing. :) I asked them to just take off the skin and bag up the rest... so they did. I still have a couple of whole rabbits sitting in my freezer.
They have also had chicken feet. I usually will feed those with a chicken meal and not as a meal itself. Pretty much the same with the other feet. They are not the meal of the day, but they are an addition to keep them busy.
As for the seafood. I usually only feed fish. I tried to see if they would eat some of those ocotpus rings, but they wouldn't go near them. I don't see any reason that they would need it, so I didn't push it. I only got some from one of my CL responders. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chicken feet were what I broke the guys and gal in on when thinking about the raw diet. Also used chicken feet to break ground with my partner on feeding raw to the pack.

When we added larger amounts (10-12 oz meal) of turkey breast to their diet, just to add a bit of bone without really upping the total weight of their total food intake, we added a few feet. Will be doing the same this week when the pork quanity gets upped to a mostly pork meal. Don't know if it is necessary for them but figured it may help to prevent major soft poop.

They are still a couple of day a week treat, particularly for the two yet to convert.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
pork feet?
They make a nice chew but I think they may have a lot of fat on them so watch out for that and digestive upset. Not really a meal though.

Probably keep those to a minimum since they aren't really a natural part of a wolf's diet, and as danemama said, there is a potential for shellfish allergy.

Definitely not a normal part of a wolf's diet. Might make for an interesting chew toy though.

Yep, my dogs love it. You can either use it as a very bony meal (like if you've just fed a really meaty boneless meal) or as a chew.

Chicken feet?

Duck feet?
Yes and yes, but only as supplements. Remember chicken feet are a great source of glucosamine. I wonder if duck feet are too.

I'm sure they'd be a fine substitute if you are that hard-pressed to find beef heart. You'd just have to feed a lot of them! But yeah, I like to throw my pups (and kitties) some chicken hearts and gizzards as a snack when I have it. They love it!

I say try it out with the fur on and see if they'll go for it. There are lots of raw feeders who do that for their dogs, I think it's called whole prey raw or something like that. About as natural as you can get without turning them loose in the woods and telling them to go for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
CorgiPaws--

If your guys don't like the octopus, send the rest to us. We'll be happy to test the quality--in marinade recipe that was given us by a little ole Greek lady-- pull out a bottle of Ouzo and tell you how it was when we sober up.:biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts