Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs just started eating pork this week (I couldn't find turkey necks). I have some deer meat in my freezer that we don't want to eat and would like to give to the dogs. Some of it is deer burger, and I can't remember what the other is, probably roasts or something like that. When is a good time to start them on deer meat?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dogs (45-pound collie/terrier mix and 15-pound JRT) tolerated the pork very well and seemed to really enjoy it, acting like they wanted more. (The bigger dog sometimes leaves some of his chicken but didn't leave any of the pork!) I gave them pork steaks because they were cheaper than chops. I cut the meat off the bones. I was kind of surprised that the bigger dog tolerated it so well since he didn't tolerate the chicken at first, especially since I read a post about someone else's dog throwing up after eating pork.

The bigger dog is doing pretty well now, although still not eating that much, sometimes not eating until evening. (I don't think he's a "morning dog.") He's not skin and bones yet, so I guess it's okay. When he starts looking like a skeleton with fur, I guess I should worry then?

About the deer meat, does it matter if it's burger?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The bigger dog is doing pretty well now, although still not eating that much, sometimes not eating until evening. (I don't think he's a "morning dog.") He's not skin and bones yet, so I guess it's okay. When he starts looking like a skeleton with fur, I guess I should worry then?
Is he still losing weight?

About the deer meat, does it matter if it's burger?
Yes, it's ok but I wouldn't feed more than one ground meal in a week this early into raw feeding. In a couple of months you can try more but for now your dogs need bone to keep stools solid. I feed 2 or 3 boneless meals a week now and could feed more I'm sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is he still losing weight?
I think he's losing weight - his skin is a little baggy - but he's still pretty solid and doesn't look actually skinny - I can't see his ribs yet.

Yes, it's ok but I wouldn't feed more than one ground meal in a week this early into raw feeding. In a couple of months you can try more but for now your dogs need bone to keep stools solid. I feed 2 or 3 boneless meals a week now and could feed more I'm sure.
I think I goofed (again). Since I couldn't find turkey necks, which were recommended to be alternated with chicken quarters, I started them on pork and was alternating that with the chicken quarters. I had to cut it off the bone so they weren't getting bones every other day in the evening. So what would I alternate with the chicken quarters in the evening if I can't get turkey necks?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I think he's losing weight - his skin is a little baggy - but he's still pretty solid and doesn't look actually skinny - I can't see his ribs yet.
When overweight dogs switch to raw, fat is often replaced with muscle. Muscle is smaller and heavier than fat. He may or may not be losing weight. Your eyes aren't good judges in this case. If you can't see his ribs, he is still fat. Don't be concerned at this point.

I think I goofed (again). Since I couldn't find turkey necks, which were recommended to be alternated with chicken quarters, I started them on pork and was alternating that with the chicken quarters. I had to cut it off the bone so they weren't getting bones every other day in the evening. So what would I alternate with the chicken quarters in the evening if I can't get turkey necks?
You could try turkey wings. It's not necessary for dogs to have bones every meal. As long as stools aren't soft, don't worry about them. In the wild, dogs/wolves diet is comprised of only about 15% or so of bone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could try turkey wings. It's not necessary for dogs to have bones every meal. As long as stools aren't soft, don't worry about them. In the wild, dogs/wolves diet is comprised of only about 15% or so of bone.
I'm not sure I can find turkey wings. I found turkey legs but they looked awfully big. My dogs are still having a little difficulty eating large pieces of meat.

I haven't been a very good poop watcher but haven't noticed any signs of diarrhea. I gave them both deer burger today. I haven't started them on organ meat, raw eggs or fish yet.

They are both "hacking" a good bit. The JRT "spits up" more than usual. Is this common?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Turkey wings really aren't that easy to find, when I have to use turkey legs, I get out the cutting board and that big hack chopper looking thing and cut it in half for my dogs.:cool: I also feed my dogs chicken necks with no problems, (knock on wood) I did find some duck necks the other day and boy did they like that.:tongue: Last week my dogs went through a coughing phase too, but I think it was because of all the pollen out there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Turkey wings really aren't that easy to find, when I have to use turkey legs, I get out the cutting board and that big hack chopper looking thing and cut it in half for my dogs.:cool: I also feed my dogs chicken necks with no problems, (knock on wood) I did find some duck necks the other day and boy did they like that.:tongue: Last week my dogs went through a coughing phase too, but I think it was because of all the pollen out there.
Really, you have to cut the turkey legs? I just give legs and wings whole to Owen and he does just fine. I like watching him also. He chomps right through the bones like they are paper in his way!! :) He's funny!
Because it is a bird bine, it isn't as hard for him to go though. Now if it were any other animal, I would chop it, but avian bones are hollow in the center.
Basically, if you can find ANY kind of avian/poltery in your grocery store, then go ahead and get it. You don't have to stress about what part you are feeding. I just watch Owen when he starts a new food group a few meals till I know he has the hang of it and then I let him go at it!! Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm not sure I can find turkey wings. I found turkey legs but they looked awfully big. My dogs are still having a little difficulty eating large pieces of meat.

I haven't been a very good poop watcher but haven't noticed any signs of diarrhea. I gave them both deer burger today. I haven't started them on organ meat, raw eggs or fish yet.

They are both "hacking" a good bit. The JRT "spits up" more than usual. Is this common?
Owen will occassionally eat too fast and will 'hack' half of his meal up. He just eats it before it gets cold and he is fine! :eek: :biggrin: :wink: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Owen will occassionally eat too fast and will 'hack' half of his meal up. He just eats it before it gets cold and he is fine! :eek: :biggrin: :wink: :rolleyes:

Ugghhh!! Both dogs have been hacking and act like they're going to vomit but it's usually a dry hack. A couple of days ago, Vito (the JRT) hacked up a small puddle of whitish stuff a few times. He usually cleans up his own puke when it looks like food but he didn't bother cleaning up the whitish stuff. I better stop there before I puke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts