Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it really was time for me to divide up all that chicken I bought at Walmart today. After dividing up the chicken into doggie meals our little chest freezer was full and we only had enough for 4 days of dog food once we added it to the people food already there. There's no way to get meat on sale or bargains.

We're just sitting here now and I looked at my husband and said 'you know, we're gonna need another freezer' and he just sighed and said "I know, we've overflowed that one already".

Chalk up another win for the dogs! We're gonna be a two freezer family! (Time to sell more stuff on eBay to pay for it)

Now I can really shop for meat bargains!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Two freezer family!! We just graduated to a one freezer family. We had one of those two sided fridges where one side is a freezer and the other is a fridge. I don't know how we managed to jam in the stuff we had. But once we started the dogs on raw - there was no way that was going to do!!

Your husband sounds like a wise man :biggrin:!!!! Maybe we all need a freezer for beef, one for chicken, one for pork and another for miscellaneous!

Carol

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Congrats! There can never be too much freezer space for meat! We just went "shopping" at my moms house where we have taken over her freezer, now we're all stocked up again!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
We just got a new 2 sided fridge/freezer for the kitchen and the old one is now in the garage. My lord here comandered the fridge part of the garage fridge and its now packed to the gills with Bud Light. So, in my eyes its only fair that the freezer side is now chocka block full of dog and cat (haha dreaming!) meat.
Actually, now I've got use to being spoilt, I really don't have a clue how on earth I managed with only the one freezer.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now the debating starts.....I automatically started looking at BIG freezers and he said "How much meat are you planning on buying!!!" I can rationalize a WHOLE lotta meat on sale and a really big freezer .....same way he can rationalize needing a really big screen tv....

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You definitely want a big freezer because if you start with a smaller one it will be no time and you will need a another one. Once you start shopping or join a co-op it becomes obsessive compulsive to get great deals on food. Just ask as I now have 3 large freezers full of food.:eek:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we weren't feeding our dogs raw, so we got a 7 cu.ft chest freezer for our needs.

that worked out pretty well for a while, until we realised that the depth is just a wee bit inconvenient for the short chick who fell in one day....laugh all you want, but i'm not the only short chick LOL

we were going to get another freezer anyway and sell the chest freezer.....and then we started feeding raw.

mind you, we only have two dogs, 18 lbs and 36 lbs.

the 14.1 freezer is packed with their stuff, the house freezer is packed with their stuff, the chest freezer is packed with their stuff.

we have a drawer in the 14.1 section with our stuff.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a 7.0 Chest freezer that I thought was fine for us two years ago. Then one son moved back home to go to college. Then the dogs started to eat raw. I dove into it yesterday and realized there are things at the bottom of it that I haven't seen in over a year (and I'm not too sure what they are!) I like upright freezer's but my husband is adamant that they are the biggest energy waster there is and should be banned from the planet (we used to have a big one until it died years ago).

So now we're thinking maybe of selling the tiny chest freezer and getting a big chest freezer. Then I can really lose a lot of stuff on the bottom. :biggrin: I'd have to get organized and have some kind of buckets for it I guess. Geez, these dogs are really making me work!!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I have a large chest and 2 uprights, if you get a new one look for one that has the dividers and baskets that come with it, its a great way to seperate the types of meat by compartment and all the organs go in the baskets. Good Luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
dont kid yourself about freezer size.. around the holidays turkey will drop to 40-45 cents a pound... thats when i pick up 18- 20 turkeys. You'll want all the space you can get. You never know what deals are gonna pop up.

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Speaking of deals, sorry to hijack! because its Labor day weekend at our local Haggens they have on sale Beef back ribs for .99lb, me bought lots!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts