Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Jelly had her 2 chicken quarters; everything was fine. :biggrin: But then I figured, hey she's got this raw food figured out - no problems. So, what do I do??:redface: - I give her some of my beef barley (homemade) with dumpling stew that I couldn't finish. Just about a 1/4 of a cup. She has always loved this. So today - she won't eat her raw food again. :frown:

Arrggh :mad:

Any suggestions? Just let her get hungry enough and NEVER again feed her scraps??

Carol

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Tough love again. Don't offer her anything but her raw food til she eats that.

Not to mention I wouldn't offer her any other foods til she is well adjusted to raw, just to minimize the chance of digestive issues.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yep, just like Natalie said...

No more food til she eats the 1 piece of food you're offering. 15 minutes alone and then take it away. Give the same piece the next meal til she finally eats it

If you think things are going well remember that adding in new things too fast can really complicate the process. Stick to your guns and follow the transition period :wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
oops. LOL

don't worry....if this is the least of your goofs, you're doing well. :)

every time i goof, ..... i figuratively whack myself in the head once or twice and then start over....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay!

Yeah, today she wouldn't even take the chicken quarter I gave her. Then my other dog ate his one piece and started circling her. So she picked it up and kept it in her mouth. Then my daughter's new violin teacher came, so I had to leave the window where I was watching. When I came back the meat was gone. So I THINK she ate it...but she could have gotten excited about the doorbell, and rushed to the door, whereupon he ate it. So I'm not sure if she ate anything at all.

Also, she has pooey grass clumps hanging from her butt. So I imagine she has been eating grass. This has long been a thing with her - having poo that only half comes out. Hopefully if she ever gets used to raw, this will be a thing of the past!!!

I just wish she loved raw food, like my brown dog does.

Carol - thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
carol, she honestly reminds me of malia in the beginning...whilst bubba was dancing with food, she was circling and licking and walking away.....she missed a few meals in the beginning.

now? whilst she is not out of control with joy....i think that's her demeanour anyway.....she eats methodically and eats it all, licks the towel, licks bubba, and is right there when the fridge opens.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re - really??!! That really makes me feel better!! I was thinking that my dog was the only one - that maybe raw food wasn't for her. Most of me wasn't giving up; but a small part was going - really - should it be this difficult - it's MEAT!!!! She should be shuddering with joy!!

Thanks!!

CArol

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Re - really??!! That really makes me feel better!! I was thinking that my dog was the only one - that maybe raw food wasn't for her. Most of me wasn't giving up; but a small part was going - really - should it be this difficult - it's MEAT!!!! She should be shuddering with joy!!

Thanks!!

CArol
the first week? malia was an absolute diva.....looking at me, as if to say...REALLY?

this is your story that you're writing, carol...picky dogs are created, not born.

they know hunger...eat....satisfaction.

they get hungry enough....they eat. keep putting the raw down. if she doesn't eat it in 15-20 minutes, then put it away for the next meal....

hold the guilt inside so she doesn't see you feeling that way....

i am a firm believer that dogs pick up on human behaviour and play it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I get that :smile: - I can do tough love. But part of me wonders if her teeth aren't good enough to eat raw food. The vet said that her teeth were very badly worn. So if her teeth were not like that, I would just say eat it or not. If I took her to the vets and asked if they thought she could eat raw meat/bones, then I would KNOW if it was her attitude or her teeth. But I don't want to go to the vets, because I think, they'll say - put her back on kibble - which I don't want to do.:confused:

So....yes I'm going to continue with the tough love... because I saw her eat a whole chicken quarter. It took forever...but she did it. So my gut feel is that she's playing me...stick to my guns. But part of me is well.....

I could just kiss my brown dog - he makes it all so easy!!!

Sigh :rolleyes:
No one said it would be easy!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Carol

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i think i would do what we did and that was to have their teeth checked....

'course, that was after they were on raw for over five months and their teeth blinded him LOL

but, if you're concerned, have your dog's teeth checked to make sure there is nothing going on...

if there is placque the raw food should take care of it.

something else i remember from the beginning...

when my dogs ate kibble, they didn't crunch very much....and having read tom lonsdale's books...i also suspect they had gingivitis...tender gums....or inflamed gums....mild, but still....

it took a while for them....in the beginning, it took everything bubba had to get through that chicken back, now he just grinds it like it's nothing....

he couldn't eat a baby back pork rib...now he eats real dog pork ribs....

i think it could also be a time thing....their teeth have been subjected to kibble....which didn't do them any good. they never had to work at eating...which didn't strengthen their muscles or jaws or clean their teeth....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you've hit it Re - she ate a whole chicken quarter this morning. Now that the kids are back in school, and the cooler weather has come, I've started walking at the off-leash nature place (technical term:smile:). So we went for the first time since spring (we go every day in the fall,winter,spring), and we were there for 1 1/2 hours throwing balls, racing with dogs tromping through the fields. They were exhausted when we got home. And since Jelly hasn't eaten very much lately - she ate the whole chicken quarter! So she probably does have sore gums - but I think it will get better. So thanks for listening to my worries!

Carol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts