Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Khan has just turned 10 months old. We have been feeding raw for about 5 months. He has been steadily gaining about 10 lbs every month since Jan. When I weighed him in May, it showed he had only gained about a pound, and when I weighed him last week, about the same. He is around 98lbs.
He looks great, I was feeding close to 2lbs twice a day (not exactly, just usually didn't worry if I was on the + side of 1.5lbs) I have dropped him back to be closer to the lighter side of 1.5lbs. I noticed his stool starting to get loose, and when I cut back his intake, we were back to "normal"
Like I said, he looks great, has great muscle tone, and energy. Just wondering since he is still a puppy. If we were talking about a dog over the age of 2 I would be ecstatic for his weight staying the same.
I know he will continue to fill out for another 12 months. Just thought I would put this out there.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Khan has just turned 10 months old. We have been feeding raw for about 5 months. He has been steadily gaining about 10 lbs every month since Jan. When I weighed him in May, it showed he had only gained about a pound, and when I weighed him last week, about the same. He is around 98lbs.
He can't gain 10lbs/mo for the rest of his life. He would get bigger than an elephant. You gotta expect him to stop gaining so fast. :smile:

He looks great, I was feeding close to 2lbs twice a day (not exactly, just usually didn't worry if I was on the + side of 1.5lbs) I have dropped him back to be closer to the lighter side of 1.5lbs. I noticed his stool starting to get loose, and when I cut back his intake, we were back to "normal"
Over feeding can cause loose stools so I think you are learning how much to feed him. :smile:

Like I said, he looks great, has great muscle tone, and energy. Just wondering since he is still a puppy. If we were talking about a dog over the age of 2 I would be ecstatic for his weight staying the same.
I know he will continue to fill out for another 12 months. Just thought I would put this out there.
This paragraph tells you all you need to know. Even for a mastaff, thin is better than fat. You want to be careful and not let giant breeds get heavy. It's hard on their hips & shoulders. Generally, raw fed pups tend to grow more slowly than kibble fed dogs but eventually reach their programmed size.

To answer your question, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It is very common for large and giant breed dogs to plateau in their growth around 8-10 months of age. It's like their body just needs a break from growing and then they pick up their weight gain again around 12-14 months. I have seen this happen with countless Danes (I was a member of a Dane social group with about 300 members and we had puppy meets all the time when Bailey was growing). I would say that you are seeing this plateau just like many Danes I've seen go through this. Or he might just be done growing.

Just continue to feed him an ideal amount to keep him in good body condition and see if he hits another growing period in a few months. This second growing phase is not nearly as drastic as the initial one at 10 pounds a month. But I will also say that feeding raw has probably slowed his growth a lot already. I definitely have seem more gradual growth on raw than on kibble with my dogs!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts