Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought TOTW made dogs gain weight! Ruckus has already lost three lbs since I switched him. It didnt make him underweight, i mean... maybe a little. but the vet said that weight was good on him and its good to be a little thin. he is 19-20 inches tall, heavy boned, and 41lbs. He is eating two cups a day

Do some dogs lose weight on more protein? When I used to feed raw, and of the reasons that i stopped was that Ruckus lost a lot of weight and we could not get him to gain any on raw.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Have you had his thyroid checked recently? If he isn't gaining weight on 2 cups (which should maintain him just fine unless he's super active), then feed him more until he does.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Actually its not uncommon for a dog to lose weight if theyre overweight on grainfree since carbs are responsible for weight gain, so its possible that the weight balancing out, if you feel like your dog is eating sufficient ammount and not hungry afterwards, but 2 cups sounds plenty to me, my dog is 65 lbs and he only eats 1 3/4 cups total.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What breed is Ruckus?

If you look at the calorie count in TOTW it is actually quite low. Maybe for your individual dog you will have to increase the amount. But if Ruckus doesn't seem hungry or losing too fast, then he is probably fine.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If he is at his ideal wieght then hes ok, But if he is a bit underweight and you want to bulk him up feed him a bit more! I have 2 labs I have to constantly watch becasue my goodness they will eat forever so I with 4 dogs watch them at meal time and they are pretty good walk around the other two while they eat as of course they finish first haha so any spillages from the others, they seem to think ok thats mine haha! But I would increase the doseage then if your pups underweight! Good Luck!:wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts