Dog Food Chat banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sorry guys, I'll little behind this week, with new job and my back has been acting up, I havent had a chance to go to the gym. Plus weaning off the sugar is making me really cranky and lethargic. But I did log my walk with the dogs today, its not much, but its a start. I'm going to write up a schedule of when would be the best time for me to work out that fits between school and work.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well with no real exercise, just taking sugar out of my diet (going in depth and finding out the natural sugars in foods as well, etc), I have lost just over half a kilo this week (around 1.3lb I think), super stoked :biggrin: I'm quite happy with a steady loss of half a kilo a week, thats a good amount for permanent weight loss :smile:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've been slacking on work outs but I've been working hard trying to cut out grains...only had a few itty bitty slip ups, but this should be interesting.

I started counting calories but it makes me feel so guilty I'm not sure I'm going to keep counting or not..yesterday I nearly doubled my calorie goal..

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Okay, I forgot to log anything for like 4 days in a row!! We need some kind of reminder system or someone to post on here to nudge us all to post on that website!!

And apparently working out does not make you lose weight. I've actually gained two pounds :frown:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I hurt my back at work earlier this week so I haven't been able to work out

Don't know when I'll be able to get back into it. Maybe Tuesday?

I wouldn't worry about weight gain the first few weeks if you're eating right and exercising... This is common.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I can't get on the game forum, I keep getting this error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

Does anyone have a clue what the hell I've done? I mean, what manual? Who stole my manual?

I've yet to weigh myself too. Not holding my breath, wouldn't be surprised if I've put on a lb or 2. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Yeah, thats like me, in the chat section, thats the only message I get. I've tried googling that message but it was a waste of time. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
WOw I'm slacking big time. Haven't been doing many workout but I am trying very hard to cut grains out of my life. Today I broke down because I was starving and I am trapped babysitting in a house with no other food options..hopefully a few bites of mac and cheese won't be the end of me....Currently ordering a salad though, can not wait!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have completely forgotten to log on to the site haha I haven't updated anything. But the good news - I've lost 1.3kg in 2 weeks (approx 2.9lb)

I keep forgetting to log my workouts, but I do hit the gym 3 times a week, and walk a lot/do yoga the rest of the time. Its been hard giving up sugar, but I'm doing my best.
I read the book about giving up sugar, and gave it up, two weeks ago. One week ago, a sunday night primetime news program (kind of like 60 minutes) featured a story about it, and mentioned that book. Since then, the book has sold out lol. As for giving up sugar, I'm surprised I've been ok with it. I was a huge sugar junkie, eating a small chocolate bar every day pretty much, as well as soft drink, muesli bars and snacks that are full of sugar, flavoured milk, sauces etc etc. I cut them out cold turkey 2 weeks ago, and haven't looked back. We have a big box of chocolate bars in our fridge and I haven't touched them (except to put them with hubby's lunch, palming them all off on him till they're gone haha). I've done no exercise, I still eat other fatty foods that dont have sugar (pringles, chips, etc), eat a lot of meat, and I've lost 1.3kg... that says something to me about how bad sugar is!

In trying to give up sugar, have you done research into what sugars are ok (e.g. glucose and lactose) and what to avoid (e.g. fructose) or anything like that? And are you checking the labels of things you put in your meals and stuff? I found that one brand of tinned tomatoes has over three times as much sugar as another brand, and I've switched from tomato paste to tomato passata, which has less than half the sugar. Anyone who asks me how I'm doing it, I tell them to read the book lol, it really helped me clarify what I can have, and made me realise there is sugar in everything, so I really have to check labels and make sure I'm getting the lowest sugar combination. By inadvertantly eating sugar in other everyday things, that you may not have even realised were full of sugar, you will be feeding the addicition and it'll be harder to avoid super sugary treats

I spent most of a family birthday party on the weekend talking with mum and my aunty about quitting sugar, and we've started private group on facebook where we can encourage each other and "weigh in" (which has kind of over taken my blog that I started lol). It's encouraging to have other people on board with it :smile:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Thanks, I dont buy sweets, but there are still hidden sources of sugar, even "healthy" organic cereal. One of the things that I love are berry preserves in my oatmeal and they tend to have ton of sugar, so I'm trying to wean off by just using real fruit instead.

The hardest thing will be saying no to baked goods when I visit my family in couple weeks, my mom always bakes a ton of stuff for easter.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yep, fruit is full of sugar! The key is finding things that have lots of fibre to go with the sugar, because the fibre helps metabolise the sugar or something... but once the fruit is juice/turned into jam/dried, it becomes a lump of sugar, no fibre lol. Also, anything "low fat" is generally high sugar - weight watchers bars/cereals etc are some of the most sugary! Almost all cereal is sugary, but oats etc on their own are good. I'm sticking to a cooked breakfast or toast whenever I have the time.

As long as the family don't pressure you to eat the baked goods, you may not find it too hard. Like I said, I've only been doing it two weeks, and I managed to avoid the HUGE chocolate cake at my uncles birthday on the weekend, as well as all the other sweets. I even avoided the potato salad (my FAVOURITE side) because I was sure it would've been made with traditional or low-fat mayonaise, both of which are full of sugar - whole egg mayonaise is the only one I'll eat now (from Australian brands, anyway). Being someone who has never said no to desert in my life, this was a big accomplishment for me :wink: lol

ETA: On Friday night we had pizza for dinner, and I decided to just have two small pieces, after checking the nutritional info of the pizza we ordered. I decided I could get away with that amount of sugar for the day, and most of it would've come from the BBQ sauce base. Well, when eating it, I was surprised to find the sauce was actually quite sweet to me - so already, my tastes are changing! It wasn't sickly sweet by any means, but it was sweet considering the rest of the foods I've been eating lately!

Reactions: Unosmom

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I don't know how you do it Hayley. I've eliminated mostly all man made sources of sugar in my diet for a month, it might be longer but my brains not good, I'm not coping very well. I haven't been so strict on the natural sugars, but have made a concentrated effort to cut those down as well.
And, HELL'S BELL'S is it hard. What I would do for a chocolate bar or chocolate chip merianges, or chocolate cheesecake or chocolate cake, or banana bites or pascals hard jubes, or jaffa's, or jetplanes, oh God, I've got to stop thinking about this.
Big, Huge Sigh. All I can say is that I had better live a hell of a lot longer.....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I don't know how you do it Hayley. I've eliminated mostly all man made sources of sugar in my diet for a month, it might be longer but my brains not good, I'm not coping very well. I haven't been so strict on the natural sugars, but have made a concentrated effort to cut those down as well.
I've been trying to cut back on the man-made and processed stuff also, but they are so darn sneaky about hiding this stuff! My husband picked up some new English Muffins that were suppose to be made of corn and better for you so I thought I would try one. It tasted really really sweet and just plain bad so I actually tossed half of it away and went and read the nutrition label. The thing was made with SUCRALOSE and artificial flavors and yellow dye. You'd think they would have to put that on the front somewhere if they were using sucralose in it instead of real sugar but I guess they don't anymore.

Now I have to read the nutrition labels of everything I buy.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Sugary stuff we don't eat on a regular basis:

Potatoes in any way, shape or form (yams, sweet potatoes, regular)
Carrots, beets, peas
ANY grain products (pasta, rice, bread, etc)
Plain ol' sugar in any way, shape or form
Sweet fruits

My back is finally feeling better so I'm going to get a work out in this afternoon. WOOT!!!!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm really really trying to improve and you guys are beating me badly at this eating game. So last night when I just had to have a snack during a tv show, instead of the Cheetos', I made a salad with organic romaine lettuce, spinach, walnuts, and LIGHT raspberry vinegrette dressing.

Do I get extra credit for this week ? I think that alone should count as a workout ! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
A+ for the salad as a snack!

Things we tend to snack on at night:

Almonds (15 is a serving size, so count them out first because its easy to go over board)
Pickles (either store bought or "quick pickles" which is just fresh cucumbers sliced up and marinated in balsamic vinegar and spices)
Peanut butter (the good kind...not crap with sugar added)
Hummus and celery
Sliced bell peppers
Air popped popcorn with minimal oil and lots of spices added for flavor (Jon does this and I usually scoop out a small bowl for myself and limit it to that) so its very low calorie and whole grain...downside is its high carbohydrate/sugar

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
A+ for the salad as a snack!

Things we tend to snack on at night:

Almonds (15 is a serving size, so count them out first because its easy to go over board)
Pickles (either store bought or "quick pickles" which is just fresh cucumbers sliced up and marinated in balsamic vinegar and spices)
Peanut butter (the good kind...not crap with sugar added)
Hummus and celery
Sliced bell peppers
Air popped popcorn with minimal oil and lots of spices added for flavor (Jon does this and I usually scoop out a small bowl for myself and limit it to that) so its very low calorie and whole grain...downside is its high carbohydrate/sugar
Well, as part of this new 'life plan' I've gone on a 'low tyramine' diet. It's approved by the National Headache Foundation and University Of Berkeley and is suppose to be part of the overall plan to get rid of migraines. You would be surprise at what foods are full of tyramines and you can't eat!

So, no peanut butter, hummus, or pickles here. I'm not suppose to have nuts but I eat a few walnuts or pecans a day because they are good for you and a few won't kill me!

It does seem to be working though, so I will keep it up. I've had to give up Kahluah though :pout:

101 - 120 of 151 Posts