Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's interested? I know that some of you are looking to lose some weight and get in shape....heck I am! A little competition seems to really motivate people, keeping us on track. There's a website that will allow us to track the workouts, etc for free which makes it super easy.

Another thing to make it even more competitive is to all put some money in the pot...whoever loses the most weight/body fat/however we handle it...wins the money in the pot.

What are all your thoughts and ideas on this matter? I'm game to set it up if there's enough interest!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm certainly game whether there is money involved or not. My weight (converting it to pounds for all you americans :wink:) is currently around 158lb, and would ideally like to be around 132lb... so my aim is to lose 26lb. I havent been 132lb since I met my hubby, 5 years ago... and thats only because I was sick for about 8 months prior to that and lost about 15lb. I've never been "skinny", and I know my body shape isnt going to see me being as skinny as some of my friends, but I would feel a WHOLE lot better about myself if I could slim down and tone up a bit, before it gets out of control. My weight now is the most I've ever weighed.

Also, I am willing to post "before" photos WITHOUT holding my stomach in etc haha, but only because I figure I don't know any of you in real life, why should I care if you look at the photos and agree with me that I look gross? haha. And hopefully at the end of it, I can show off my "after" photos with pride :biggrin:

I'm game! Lets do this!

Does the website have a forum or discussion board or anything where we can discuss diets/healthy eating etc?

Reactions: rannmiller

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm in! This is something I think will help motivate a bunch of people, I know it will me!

Reactions: hmbutler

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm in if the Chip-in isn't too much and if I'm allowed to exercise after my doctor's appointment Friday. I started exercising again at the beginning of January and like always when I try to exercise I'm hurt. I always go SUPER slow and have my doctor's guidance but my body sucks- it couldn't even handle swimming long-term. Last time I hurt my back it was 12 weeks of complete rest so we'll see what the verdict is Friday.

Oh and I have about 50# to lose. I'd like to be about 140# and am currently just under 190#.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ok I'm super motivated now :wink:

As well as doing this, I'm going to start a blog, and document everything... what I eat, what I drink, what I'm feeling, what exercise I did, and maybe once a week or so I will include measurements and weight too. I'll probably link my mum to the blog so she can tell me off if I'm slipping :lol: I figure if I am documenting everything and anyone on the internet could stumble across it, I don't want to be failing miserably and embarrassing myself... I think it will motivate me :biggrin:

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think 90 days is really the best for a competition like this because most people wont see real results until after 30 days. I'm really just now starting to see it and feel it. Today I put on a treat bag that goes around my waist and there was about 2-3 inches of slack in the strap, I was so happy :biggrin:

I think money would also make it more interesting and motivating...and depending on how many people we get in on it, I think that will be the deciding factor of how much each of us put in. I'm doing another competition right now and the buy in was $20 per person and there are 20 of us in the group. I'm on day 50 of 90 in this competition....but I want to stay motivated past that 90 day mark.

If you can't do really "formal" workouts thats fine. Do what you can as long as you go out of your way to do so....this might just be a walk at the park for an hour. As long as your intensity level has your heart rate up and moving. We've had some trouble with some of the participants in my current competition counting their job as a workout...which just isn't fair. SO we have limited what can count as a workout. As long as you make a point to go OUTSIDE of your normal routine to get some physical activity thats fine with the rules. But if you do physical work at your job...that can't count. Does that make sense?

I'd love to get a group blog going if anyone has interest/time/effort/etc...so we can ALL participate. I've thought about doing a Facebook group for it...thoughts? I know not everyone has a FB account.

Keep the ideas coming! Lets "plan" to start this thing on Monday of next week...sound good?

I'm excited :thumb:

·
Registered
839 Posts
The DFC 12 week challenge :cheer2:

I am fine with the $20 buy in and agree that you can only count EXTRA activities as part of your workout.

What does everyone think about how the pot could be divided. I know that not everyone has as much weight to lose (unlike myself, lol) so it would be nice to divide the chipin a couple of ways. So much for % of weight lost or body fat lost, so much for the person who does the most exercise etc

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does everyone think about how the pot could be divided. I know that not everyone has as much weight to lose (unlike myself, lol) so it would be nice to divide the chipin a couple of ways. So much for % of weight lost or body fat lost, so much for the person who does the most exercise etc
The way we are dividing the pot in my other competition is below:

50% of the pot goes to whoever drops the most body fat %.....this makes it fair to those who don't have weight to lose, but muscle to gain! But still is good for those who have weight to lose. Since its based off of a %age lost...

25% of the pot goes to whoever logs the most HOURS worked out

25% of the pot goes to whoever ears the most points....points are earned for every workout over 45 minutes. If you workout twice in one day you earn the ability to flip someone for their point, if you miss....oh well...if you hit you steal their point. This will motivate you all to work out more than once per day! Although, I'm in 3rd place out of 20 people right now and have yet to flip someone for their point...I've earned every single point I still have (3 points of mine have been stolen....)

How does this sound to y'all?

·
Registered
481 Posts
This is great! This will start up slightly before out Biggest Loser at work competition is ending, so I can stay on track!

Deeken and I are almost in the same spot. I weighed in at 186 yesterday and I want to get down to 130, although I'll be ecstatic when I get down to 150.

I don't know when I'll be able to pay, though.

Also, I suggest that everyone joins MyFitnessPal.com (there's an iphone/ipad/droid app, too) and we "friend" each other. That way, we can see each others workout and food logs... that has really helped me stay focused! My user name is MissusMcElroy if anyone wants to friend me.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I can't do the money chip in, so i might have to skip out on this :( trying to move, school, switching to PMR and spending the extra money on healthy whole foods takes alot out of our pockets.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Sounds good to me! Let's start next week!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
This is great! This will start up slightly before out Biggest Loser at work competition is ending, so I can stay on track!

Deeken and I are almost in the same spot. I weighed in at 186 yesterday and I want to get down to 130, although I'll be ecstatic when I get down to 150.

Also, I suggest that everyone joins MyFitnessPal.com (there's an iphone/ipad/droid app, too) and we "friend" each other. That way, we can see each others workout and food logs... that has really helped me stay focused! My user name is MissusMcElroy if anyone wants to friend me.
Mrs McElroy was my high school band teachers name. I will forever pictures you as a tall thin grey hair tight lipped strict woman that sometimes cracked a smile and her eyes would sparkle. Haha

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mrs McElroy was my high school band teachers name. I will forever pictures you as a tall thin grey hair tight lipped strict woman that sometimes cracked a smile and her eyes would sparkle. Haha
LOL! I look nothing like that, and I'm 23... but as long as she was nice, I'll take the association!

·
Registered
447 Posts

I signed up and added you!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm in. Hopefully this will help get me moving and motivated if nothing else!!
I got to start somewhere.

The thing is I don't have a clue how to measure body fat percentage..and that point system seems a bit confusing though I'm sure I'd figure it out...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. motivation is defo the bit that I lack when it comes to keeping my weight down.

One question though. Dog walking!

do we count it or not. I have just got a 44lb jacket to ware when walking the pups ( I go about 6 miles a day ) are we counting that or not?

all my walks will now be logged on runtastic (iphone app) just so people know I am doing them ( or at least my phone is :)) )

1 - 20 of 151 Posts