Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When looking at a dogs weight aside from portion size is the calorie amount the only other factor to look at? Is one kibble with 450 cal with 40% protein and 18% fat going to impact a dogs weight the same as another kibble with 450 cal with 30% protein and 14% fat? Does the amount of filler effect the dog's weight given the same amount of calories.
I'm looking for a new food.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
When looking at a dogs weight aside from portion size is the calorie amount the only other factor to look at? Is one kibble with 450 cal with 40% protein and 18% fat going to impact a dogs weight the same as another kibble with 450 cal with 30% protein and 14% fat? Does the amount of filler effect the dog's weight given the same amount of calories.
I'm looking for a new food.
You definitely need to look at more than calories. If you are feeding a low-calorie food that is mostly carbs and fillers, it will be like trying to diet on Cheerios. I would say go for the one with the higher protein content and look at the quality of the ingredients. If it has very little meat and mostly carbs, fruits, and veggies, it probably isn't your best option. My dog did really well losing and maintaining her weight on Wellness Core when I had her on kibble. However, Evo also has a reduced fat formula that looks pretty darn good: Meat-Based Pet Food – Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats – EVO Pet Products

1 - 2 of 2 Posts