Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First raw meal was fed today!! Remy, 17 wks. and Kona, 7 years got a chicken quarter each. They took quite a while to gnaw away at them. Remy still hasn't finished his, but he walked away from it and didn't want to go back. I'm guessing it was because he was full. Should I pick up that bone, or leave it for him to find later?
Thank you to all of you for your supportive and informative posts. I don't think that I would have the guts to go for it without you!:smile:
I'll keep you posted on how it goes! We're off to puppy class now.

Kathryn

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is it just a bone left? If there is meat on it still, I would pick it up and offer it to him at another meal. Switching to raw is such a change for the dog. It looks, smells and tastes nothing like kibble, so a lot of dogs are a little freaked out by it at first. If Remy still doesn't eat it next time you offer it, take it away and don't feed him anything else. Offer it to him again at the next meal and see what happens. If he still won't eat that same piece, then maybe start with a fresh one. Don't "force" him to eat, let him eat when he chooses. He will get hungry enough to eat the right amount. If it is just the bone, I would throw the bone away and see if the next time he eats a quarter, if he crunches the bone with the meat. good luck!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree, if there's still meat on it, put it back in the fridge til the next meal. If not, you can probably just throw it away. Congrats on the successful switch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts