Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many of you are interested, but here goes.

The Whole Dog Journal (WDJ) just came out with its 2009 list of approved dry dog foods.

In alphabetical order:

Addiction Foods of New Zealand: Venison and Salmon formulas.

Artemis: Fresh Mix, Power, Natural 6 Mix, and Osopure formulas.

Back to Basics: Honesty Chicken formula.

Bench & Field Pet Foods: Holistic Natural Canine Formula.

Breeder's Choice Pet Foods: AvoDerm, Pinnacle Holistic, and ActiveCare formulas.

By Nature (Blue Seal): By Nature Adult, By Nature Organics formulas.

Burns Pet Nutrition: Brown Rice & Chicken Formula.

Canidae: ALS formula.

Canine Caviar: Holistic, Chicken & Pearl Millet, Grain-free Venison formulas.

Castor & Pollux: Organix and Natural Ultramix formulas.

Della Natura: Wenaewe formulas.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance: Organics, Ultra, Limited Ingredient formulas.

Diamond Pet Products: Chicken Soup, Premium Edge, Taste of the Wild, Professional Pet Food formulas.

Dogswell: Vitality and Happy Hips formulas.

Drs. Foster & Smith: Chicken & Brown Rice Adult Dog formula.

Evangers: Chicken & Brown Rice, Pheasant & Brown Rice formulas.

Fromm: Four Star Canine formulas.

KLN Enterprises: Natural Planet Organics, NutriSource, PuraVita formulas.

Life4K9: Chicken & Barley formula.

Lincoln Biotech: Zinpro

Merrick: all formulas

Natura: California Natural, Innova, Evo, HealthWise, and Karma formulas.

Nature's Variety: Instinct Grain-Free formulas and Prairie formulas.

Perfect Health Diet Products: PHD Viand Lamb formula.

Pet Chef Express: Salmon & Potato formula.

Petcurean Pet Nutrition: Go! Natural, Summit, Now! Grain-Free formulas.

Peton Distributors: Performatrin Ultra formulas.

Precise Pet Products: Precise Plus formulas.

SmartPak: LiveSmart formula.

Solid Gold: All formulas.

Taplow Feeds: FirstMate Grain Free and FirstMate Classic formulas.

Verus Pet Foods: VeRus Life Advantage formulas.

WellPet: Wellness Core, Wellness Super5Mix, Wellness Simple Solutions, and Eagle Pack Holistic Select formulas.

All this and more detailed information is on The Whole Dog Journal's web site.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I certainly DO NOT recommend Addiction. It does not contain enough meat to sustain a dog.
And they aren't the ones sending you money, right? Don't forget that part!

Dogs need much more meat than is in this food. I would reconsider using Whole Dog Journal as your primary source of information. They obviously do not know enough about canine nutrition to be recomending foods.
Instead, listen to the biased vet who is lab09 by day and plymouth09 by night!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
is this magazine no good?

And here I just subscribed to this magazine for 20 dollars! :mad:So its really no good? :frown:Or at least is it OK?:confused:

·
Registered
241 Posts
And here I just subscribed to this magazine for 20 dollars! :mad:So its really no good? :frown:Or at least is it OK?:confused:
Most of the mainstream pet material is somewhat "misguided" in animal nutrition, apparently, but I don't think the magazine as a whole is trash. Besides, I wouldn't consider $20 to be a waste for a subscription that covers a little bit of everything in your dog(s)' life.. You're ok :smile:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think your right you could throw 20 dollars away on anyhting that is really not worth it ! But I do have to admit I really do enjoy reading the articles. I went on line and you got to download one of their magzines with your subcription so alls not wasted. Your right it wasn't that bad! Thanks!:smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, the articles are fun, just be sure to read it with an open mind and take everything with a grain of salt and do your own research, but that's with anything :smile:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I much prefer Animal Wellness magazine to Whole Dog Journal. They have so many informative articles and they support raw and whole food diets more than kibble diets. Plus Dr. Marty Goldstein is one of the columnists in it and i find him very informative, open minded, and very supportive of raw and doing things naturally.
And Animal Wellness doesn't put out a list of "Approved" dog food every year, they rather help the readers learn how to make their own decision on foods.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's okay, i find it more useful than Modern Dog but less useful than Animal Wellness. It's more into the pop culture sort of stuff rather than the informative articles than Animal Wellness is, but it does have it's strong points.
Modern Dog and Dogs in Canada however are garbage to me pretty much, they push manufactured kibbles too much and are more fashion magazines rather than informative magazines.
Working in the store i do, i'm always looking for good articles on health and food rather than articles about if a cashmere sweater and rhinestone collar looks better on Jessica Alba's dog or better on Paula Abdul's dog.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I subscribe to Animal Wellness, Bark, Dog Fancy, and Modern Dog. I enjoy all of them as I find them all entertaining as well as informative.

My subscriptions to the WDJ and Just Labs Magazine have expired and I did not renew. I will not be renewing my subscriptions to Dog Fancy and Modern Dog when those expire.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I don't read it either but from what I can tell other people say about it and their list of approved foods, they are big proponents of omnivore feeding of our carnivore dogs and they're elitist and scare pet food companies into using their "approved" ingredients rather than less aesthetically pleasing, species appropriate ingredients.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol I know what it is I just didn't know it was "bad". I work with a lot of people who read it and they all swear by it. So what are they and I missing?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I don't read it either but from what I can tell other people say about it and their list of approved foods, they are big proponents of omnivore feeding of our carnivore dogs and they're elitist and scare pet food companies into using their "approved" ingredients rather than less aesthetically pleasing, species appropriate ingredients.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts