Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing with the raw idea for a while, but I wasn't sure my 20 month old dane would eat it, he has a very discernable palate. I was at the store and saw a back of Chicken leg quarters for half off, so I decided to get them. When I got home I decided to offer it to the older dane, he took it, carried it a few feet and dropped it. Sniffed at it a couple of times and then no longer had any interest. My little puppy (just shy of 5 months, also a dane) looked interested so I gave her one and she went crazy like a wild wolf just chewing away, crunching some bones, really enjoying herself. SHe didn't get that much after a lot of work, so I took off the actual drumstick piece and gave it to her so I Could take the rest away. Since she was doing so good at chewing I figured I'd be safe. She chomped on it a couple times for about 20 seconds and then pretty much swallowed it whole :eek: I wasn't expecting that and now of course I'm going to have a panic attack that she's going to get an obstruction. Besides this, they did have their "normal" dinner 3 hours before. Should I be very worried about the little one?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Chomping a Chicken leg quarter a few times and swallowing it is perfectly normal. Dogs don't chew up their food like people do.
Generally you want to wait more than just 3 hours after a kibble meal before feeding raw since raw is digested much faster than kibble, but she should be fine.
Try offering the raw meal first thing in the morning next time so your other dog will be hungrier and the kibble will have had time to clear out of the digestive tract.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
g00dgirl- thanks for the quick reply. I feel a little better but as I always have to do things I rushed into it! Now I just don't know if I should wait until I'm ready to switch over. Do you think it would be ok if I offered the guy a quarter in the morning? Could he then have his regular kibble at night? (this would only be like a one-time thing until I switch over completely, just to see like you said, him being hungrier if it might appeal to him. I'd be worried about planning the switch and buying a bunch of food only to figure out that he won't touch it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, try it in the morning. Since they are new to raw you may want to remove most of the skin since it is so fatty and may be more likely to cause diarrhea in the beginning.
He should eat it readily once he figures out it's food :)
What was his reaction when your girl went at it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I gave her her own, I think if she would have went after his he would have been protective over it. He was curious but when he walked by her she gave him a warning look and growl (which isn't acceptable EVER), so he didn't persist. If it was a regular treat I'm sure he would have stood there giving her the stare until she finally gave up LOL.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You may want to feed them separately, at least in the beginning. As you saw dogs can get protective over this new, very good treat. One of mine was really protective of her food when I first started raw but now that it's the norm they can eat right next to each other again.

I think a warning growl is a good thing, if you punish a growl they may just go straight to snapping next time. I simply avoided the situation altogether by not allowing them to eat next to each other thereby no need to feel protective over food and no growling or snapping.
Delilah would snap too since Felix is deaf and never heard the warning growl. She never hurt him though and he is luckily a submissive guy so no fights broke out over food. Just cases of him accidentally getting too close to her.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I suspect your one dog who was disinterested was that way because he just wasn't hungry. Often dogs don't realize you are giving them food to eat. They have been told all their life not to eat "people food" and here you are giving them some. Don't worry, it will all get figured out soon. Why don't you go ahead and start feeding raw? Why put off the switch. Just stop feeding kibble and start feeding chicken.

BTW: Don't give your dogs help in eating the chicken quarter. They will figure it out on their own if you leave them alone and let them do it. In the beginning it can take as much as 30 minutes to eat a chicken quarter. My dogs now down one in about 30 seconds or less.

About the warning growl: Its a very important form of communication between dogs. Your dog was telling the other dog to stay away. My dogs do the same. The approaching dog immediately turns around and moves further away and all is ok. In your case, if the approaching dog didn't move further away, you should have fussed at him, not at the growling dog. I know growls sound ominous to us humans but it this case it was one dog very politely asking another dog not to bother him right now because he was busy and he didn't care to share is possessions with him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to offer the quarter to him this morning and he sniffed it and walked away, so I fed him his kibble. I may try again tonight to see if he will have any interest in it.

RFD- the reason I'm not starting right away is because I've read a lot but am still not sure exactly how to start. Moreso than that, I don't know where to get my meat, nor do I have a place to store it yet. I did contact the local meat locker, and he said he wasn't interested in doing dog stuff at this time, I think he's mainly beef and pork though. I'm not sure where else to look, and if you want say, chicken back or halves, can you ask for it at a regular grocery store? I saw the chicken quarters on sale so thought I'd just see if he'd have any interest in it, which at this time it doesn't appear so.

Also wanted to ad about the growl- I didn't punish her, I just said no and pulled the other dog away. I just don't really like to see that kind of reaction over any food, but at you saying it should be ok amongst the dogs? Keep in mind she is just shy of 5 months.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I tried to offer the quarter to him this morning and he sniffed it and walked away, so I fed him his kibble. I may try again tonight to see if he will have any interest in it.
This just reinforces to him that kibble is what he should eat. If you are serious about making the switch, you offer them raw and nothing but until they eat it. Sometimes it takes a few days for dogs to really catch on to what they should do with it. It takes time but the patience pays off big time.

RFD- the reason I'm not starting right away is because I've read a lot but am still not sure exactly how to start. Moreso than that, I don't know where to get my meat, nor do I have a place to store it yet. I did contact the local meat locker, and he said he wasn't interested in doing dog stuff at this time, I think he's mainly beef and pork though. I'm not sure where else to look, and if you want say, chicken back or halves, can you ask for it at a regular grocery store? I saw the chicken quarters on sale so thought I'd just see if he'd have any interest in it, which at this time it doesn't appear so.
He will have interest in raw if you give a good chance at it. This takes persistence and the "tough love" approach. Read through this link...it will answer all of the questions you have asked. Please come back with any other question that might pop up! We are always happy to help.

How to get started | Prey Model Raw

Also wanted to ad about the growl- I didn't punish her, I just said no and pulled the other dog away. I just don't really like to see that kind of reaction over any food, but at you saying it should be ok amongst the dogs? Keep in mind she is just shy of 5 months.Thanks again!
Its a natural instinct for them to guard their food. Raw meats are MUCH more valuable to dogs so they feel compelled to guard them. Growling is the first step in communication that a dog will use to let another know that they are not comfortable with their actions. If you train your dog to not growl when they get uncomfortable, you have taken their ability to communicate away and they can resort to the next level of communication which is a fight or biting. This is really not a desired level of communication that you want to deal with or become first nature to your dogs. Allow your dogs to communicate with each other, its not an aggression thing...its just basic communication.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Danemama...I will have to work out where I am going to get my stuff from before I jump in with both feet. Another hard part is that they eat in the house, and maybe now that the weather is getting nicer I should start feeding the two of them on the porch. When I get everything set up (Considering you have a dane) do you think you would be interested in "mentoring" me through the first couple weeks? Obviously there are many wonderful people there, but I'd like someone with experience I could communicate one on one with that has experience feeding danes at least to get started. I have read a lot of that link you provided me (will likely read it over and over again) but haven't joined any list. My problem is having so much information and not knowing what to do with it. I think if I could find a good source for meat, and a good experience person or two to go through the "process" with me I'd be ready to go, but still have a couple things to work on!

My boy has always not been a big eater to begin with and has a discernable palate. I've heard a couple people say they haven't been able to get their dogs to eat meat, since this is the recommended first step for the first couple weeks, I guess if he gets hungry enough he will eat the chicken either way? It might be difficult if he really hates it, considering we live on a farm and he usually has access to some horse manure!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We are always happy to help. That is what we are here for.

What is the nearest big city to where you live? I can help you find meat connections and what to look for, but I have no idea where you are located!

There are actually several Dane owners here, RFD being one as well, he has two Danes just like me. I can say with all certainty that we will help you through the entire process! We have done it many times before, so don't hesitate to ask any and all questions.

Most likely your Dane will thrive on raw, most people are astounded at the change in just pure happiness dogs get from the switch. You just have to be patient and live by the "tough love" approach with him in the beginning. It probably took Bailey a good two days before she got hungry enough to eat her first raw meal. I just made sure not to offer her anything other than the same piece of meat at each meal time. I am so incredibly satisfied with the results and I will never go back to kibble. Most of the people who switch feel the same way. Just be strong and patient, it will pay off!!!

ETA: We all love pictures here too so you should show off your furkid!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
danemama- Thanks for the info and willingness to help. I'm still not sure if it's something we'll be able to manage...still have a lot of preparing and research to do.

I live in Wisconsin, about an hour from Madison (big city) but Rockford IL is almost a little closer.

I'm a little concerned about the "tough love" approach, I don't do to well with that! LOL but I would if I knew it was in his best interest (I posted a new thread talking about a couple more concerns.)

I will post pictures of my dane babies soon! :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm a little concerned about the "tough love" approach, I don't do to well with that! LOL but I would if I knew it was in his best interest (I posted a new thread talking about a couple more concerns.)
I can appreciate this but if you want an easy transition to raw it's the only way to go. Most dogs will figure it out after a day or two. :biggrin:

and to echo what Natalie said, we're quite happy to help "mentor" you as long as needed. That's why we're on this forum :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The greatest percentage of newly switched dogs begin eating it right away with no problems. The tough love approach is only a small fraction of dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts