Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to switch my Jake to all Raw. Since everything else on the farm eats species appropriate food, why not him? When hunting season comes, he's used to getting raw venison and he always has gotten the scraps when I'm preparing a meal. (I was always lazy and rarely cook his scraps). The thing is - to transition to all raw you recommend feeding chicken - but he won't eat the chicken - (did I spend too much time teaching him chickens are NOT prey? Does he think we're eating part of his pack?) Also, I hate to buy chicken when the other meat is free (my chickens & guinea fowl are for the eggs)... So my question is this: since he's eaten raw venison/beef/fish etc off and on his whole life, can I just go with all red meat and fish now? In a couple of months when hunting season comes in I will be stocking up on venison and can easily save enough for him for a year... Can he eat the deer ribs & legs for the bones? He always loves chewing them up, I've just never saved them before and so he only got them during hunting season.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The thing is - to transition to all raw you recommend feeding chicken - but he won't eat the chicken - (did I spend too much time teaching him chickens are NOT prey?
We recommend chicken because it's easy to digest, the bones are soft, and its cheap. I doubt very much if he recognizes a chicken back or quarter as one of those feathered creatures from outside.

So my question is this: since he's eaten raw venison/beef/fish etc off and on his whole life, can I just go with all red meat and fish now?
You can, BUT ... your chances of him having digestive upset increase a good amount. I have heard of dogs switching on beef or lamb or other things successfully but usually you just end up with a good case of cannon butt. In a couple of months after his body has adjusted to eating real food, you can easily feed nothing but red meat. It will probably be better for him than feeding poultry.

I suggest feeding chicken the recommended way for the first couple of months then after that, there is no real need to ever feed them again. If you want to feed red meat as a starter meat, I suggest it be pork. It seems to be easier to digest than beef or lamb.

Can he eat the deer ribs & legs for the bones?
Yes, he can eat ribs. Leg bones, you will just have to see what happens. Sometimes my dogs do, sometimes not. The last deer leg bones layed around in the yard for several weeks before I finally threw them away.

He always loves chewing them up, I've just never saved them before and so he only got them during hunting season.

What do you all think?
I think you have some lucky dogs. :smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts