Dog Food Chat banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
You folks should read the thread Brand Bias started by Shamrockmommy just for another perspective. You all seem to believe the same things but have many facts wrong. As someone in the industry with a very different perspective having watched food companies come and go and marketing change and nutrition science develop, you need to research a little more. We as humans are so easily moved by marketing and 95% of everything I hear and read from food companies has nothing to do with nutrition, but sells food! I hate to see the whole industry change to suit the latest fad like holistic which means absolutely nothing, or meat first, or grain free, all to get more of your money. And it works on the people who care the most about their pets! Sad!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 3.5 month old Bullmastiff, I started him off on Eukanuba believing it was a high quality food but then I started to research dog foods online and the common consensus was that Eukanuba is junk and Orijen/Acana is high quality food. I switched my puppy over to Orijen but it gave him loose stools and sometimes full blown diarrhea. I have now switched him to Acana and will see how that goes. Today I went to the vet for vaccinations and told her the whole food story and she said that in her opinion Orijen and Acana were low quality foods and Eukanuba and Science Diet were both superior. She said that she isn't a dog nutritionist but has attended many seminars and is in no way affiliated to any dog food company. So I said that I had researched this online and it was widely believed that Orijen and Acana are far superior foods. Her response was that most of the reviews online are made by "paid off" people and most people do not understand how to read dog food ingredients. This sounds highly suspect to me, what do you guys think?
Well when I walk in my vet the first thing ya see is a wall packed with Hills Science diet. She mentioned " paid off" ,well theres that going on in vet offices all over the country in other ways. I'm sure she would put you on Hills tho. Read the ingredients in Orijen and then in Hills. That will tell you all you really need to know.. highly recommend a Netflix doc called "PetFooled"..its an eye opener for sure!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 3.5 month old Bullmastiff, I started him off on Eukanuba believing it was a high quality food but then I started to research dog foods online and the common consensus was that Eukanuba is junk and Orijen/Acana is high quality food. I switched my puppy over to Orijen but it gave him loose stools and sometimes full blown diarrhea. I have now switched him to Acana and will see how that goes. Today I went to the vet for vaccinations and told her the whole food story and she said that in her opinion Orijen and Acana were low quality foods and Eukanuba and Science Diet were both superior. She said that she isn't a dog nutritionist but has attended many seminars and is in no way affiliated to any dog food company. So I said that I had researched this online and it was widely believed that Orijen and Acana are far superior foods. Her response was that most of the reviews online are made by "paid off" people and most people do not understand how to read dog food ingredients. This sounds highly suspect to me, what do you guys think?
Like your vet said she is not a a dog nutritionist, in her opinion she feel what she think is best . At the end of day what id comfortable for you and your baby. Does the other puppy food make him/her feel better is the stool formed and not smelly. How is their tummy after they eat and play consider all those facts and go from there. I have two 3 month old standard/xl mix Pitbull's and I am going to try merricks and see how they do on that. I was giving them blue diamond which they eat well but some of the reviews on line didn't sit well with me. We'll see

·
Registered
2 Posts
every vet office i have ever been in sold Science Diet, Colgate Palmolive probably spends more on marketing for their nutrition brand than Purina. a balance diet is important, too much protein bad, too little also bad and different breeds may have different requirements. That said i think the comment about overfeeding leading to the diarrhea is likely. Bullmastiff pup will over eat and likely get too much protein if you overfeed. I do know i have seen dogs turn their nose up to Science Diet but my dog gets excited when i pour his Orijen.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts