Dog Food Chat banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Wow. This sounds alot to me like the pot calling the kettle black type ordeal. Everything I've ever been told/read/researched and told by a few vets is that the things i think are "crap" in kibble, ARE. And vets have told me they get a percentage to reccomend those foods, and alot of people fall for it and thats why they push it. I was also told that the segment of "nutrition" they get in school is basicly a siminar about why to push this food more than what should be in it. I would ignore it and stick with the acana/orjin. Maybe try mixing the food with the old food until your pup is adjusted well? Good luck.
it's one thing for a vet to sell SD out of ignorance but it sounds like the vets u talk to are just a-holes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.. I'm a new member here.. I feed acana puppy large breed to 2 my female golden retrievers. the result is great. I just need less quantity to feed them but they still gain weight. I've switched to acana puppy large breed from Oct 2011. Before acana, I have tried some brands (Nutrisource, Pro Series, and Advanced Pet Diets). and I've seen that the best result is Acana. I have never tried Orijen because the price is still too high for me now.

I think this vet is actually the "paid off" guy. Ask him, why he thinks acana and orijen are a worse than Eukanuba or SD (Science Diet)? and ask him why Orijen has awarded as Pet Food of the Year from 2009.

PS : I live in Indonesia which is a tropical country. Some vets say that it is not good to feed your dog with a high level of protein diet. the fact is I feed my dogs with acana puppy large breed, my friend feed orijen to his scottish terriers. None of our dogs have a problem like they said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

I work in the veterinary profession and I would like to confirm that many vets and animal hospitals carry brands like Science Diet, Eukanuba, etc. because they receive kickbacks ($$$$) for carrying those products from the companies. It is very sad that these professionals who we put our trust in to take care of our dogs/family members sell out to these companies who are putting out junk food so that they can have more money in the bank! Very sad indeed!

Acana has proven to be a superb dogfood and my dogs love it ... and they have a clean bill of health!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Guys, is this really all that surprising?

I do believe Tim out here is an exception. He obviously has done a great deal of work on the nutritional side of things.

Now, I will say that there is a GRAIN(note I stressed "grain") of truth in what this Vet says... and that is that there is lots of information flying around the internet that is more anecdotal than science. We all(me included) need to be careful what we deem as "proof" of good nutrition. Just because something sounds great for our Dogs doesn't always work out to be correct.

That being said, I would never feed Science Diet over Orijen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
does your vet also sell eukanuba or science diet? it is a typical "vet" that also happen is my country. They will exaggerate their products and disparage other products. Usually when you switched to orijen or acana, there will be some short period of time that the stool will be loosened and sometimes it followed by small bumps in your dog's skin. it is normal due to detoxification process.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My vet, whom I think highly of, except in the area of nutrition, carries a full line of Royal Canin kibble. It takes up a whole small room next to the waiting room - amazing! After pushing RC on me for two of my dogs, we've agreed to disagree - lol!

I've heard of more dogs doing well on Acana vs. Orijen. I think it's b/c Orijen is too rich for the ordinary pet. I have a boxer, and if I feed too high of a protein (even cutting back on the portion size), he gets diarrhea. He's doing well on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream - I tried getting away from Diamond products, but this is the kibble he does best on - I guess it could be worse, right? I'd try Acana Pacifica, if I could afford it, for sure, but it's the most expensive variety in my area.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would immediately find a different vet, normally I would trust someone who went to school for eight years. But, SERIOUSLY? Especially owning a dog with specific nutrition requirements......

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I would immediately find a different vet, normally I would trust someone who went to school for eight years. But, SERIOUSLY? Especially owning a dog with specific nutrition requirements......
Vets get very little nutrional education in vet school. It's one area most know very little about. Science Diet pretty much funds vet nutrional courses. They get benefits for marketing and selling SD, Eukanuba etc....... They know what the company reps tell them about their foods. So, of course they are going to push what they sell in their office.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Actually Eukanuba got a few foods that are not too shabby, in particular the two premium performance formulas. Royal-Canin got many good options but are on the pricey side. I do not like Science-Diet at all.

You won't find me in the Eukanuba, Pro-Plan, Nutro and Royal-Canin lynch mob. If you really want to make a difference it's much more effective to spread the word wherever you go on how awful most of the grocery store foods are. That's where the huge volumes are and that's the kind of foods that are potentially harmful in the long run. Just today I was evaluating how some of the grocery store brands activate social media in their marketing. Their reach is actually stunning, and growing every day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sad truth is that many vets don't know what they are talking about when it come's to dog foods, and nutrition. I have seen this way to much. There are vets that do take an actual interest in dog foods, and do their homework .. but most don't! They have also been getting kick backs to promote Iam's and especially Science diet for years!

I used to feed my dogs Iam's and Science diet years ago, only to realize after extensive research that all of those years I was feeding my dogs foods full of the lowest grade foods, and toxins!

Most dogfood companies/manufacturers have gone holistic now, or they would be out of business. Don't let that fool you. Alot of these companies are still feeding garbage, and fillers to your beloved pets.

As far as Orijen & Acana, they are two of the best dogfoods out there! Very high quality! I have fed my dogs Acana, and they thrived, along with having gorgeous coats! Just read the ingredients, it's excellent! If it's not agreeing with your dog, I would try cutting it with your old dog food, and transition your dog a little more slowly. You may want to add a tablespoon of plain yogurt to his food, and see if that settles his stomach, and his stools, if not, and the loose stools don't go away, then I would switch foods.

Are you feeding grain free? Just wondering what your preference is?

I try to stay with family owned dogfood companies, which Acana is (Champion Petfoods). Another good food that my dogs love is from another family owned company out of Wisconsin. Fromms. I feed Fromms Duck and Sweet Potato .. they love it!

I did a taste testing between several samples of the best dog foods including Acana, Fromms, Wellness, etc. ...they all went for the Acana Pacifica grain free EVERYTIME! Their second choice was the Fromms Duck & Sweet Potato.

Acana & Fromms are both available in Canada & the U.S. (Acana being a Canadian company, and Fromms being a U.S. company)

Both are excellent foods! I would certainly stick with the Acana, unless you absolutely cannot!

There are many premium foods out there. Just do your homework, and your Mastiff will be just fine, I'm sure!

The last person you want to listen to about dogfoods is a vet, unless that vet is promoting several of the highest quality foods, and that certainly isn't what most of them are promoting!

Good Luck, I'd love to hear how your puppy makes out, and what food you decide to stay/go with

·
Banned
939 Posts
Kev, mate, when Mol had to go in because she broke one of her teeth, even though her teeth are perfect (even if I do say so myself :), and the vet agreed, (before they realised what she ate), they still sent me home with a sample bag of some huge kibbled SD for teeth.
My vet is another who hates Orijen, blames it for liver and kidney diseases because of the high protein. They said it's got 82% protein. No, I said, its more like 40% protein, the 82% is the amount of protein derived from meat sources.
They didn't believe me.
If you are right on the 82% derived from meat and other animal sources that is pretty mediocre for a food of that price and GA protein. Eukanuba's best food is over 90%, Eukanuba Premium Performance. Dr. Tim's Pursuit is over 90% and his Momentum is over 95%.

You are going to be really bummed out when the new Orijen formulas come out. They look chock full of beans, lentils and peas. I guess the new owners and bean counters figure people will buy it anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Immediately get a new vet. The brands they recommends pay them to do so. Acana or Orijen by Champion Pet foods of Canada...period. Don't be fooled again!

·
Registered
684 Posts
My vet has a phone tree when you call, and one of the choices is for people who want to purchase more dog food (Royal Canin)... :frown: I think Acana is a fine choice!

·
Registered
778 Posts
i like my vet very much and he knows squat about dog food, and i think he knows it too.

we've been discussing vangie and her high eosinophil count and how she barfs every 2-4 months and i need to change her food, prednisone (i have her down to 5m every 5 days which for a 65 lb dog is minimal) and he insists she stay on a novel (and try and find novel proteins that don't have chicken fat, or carcass, or lamb meal, of fish meal or turkey meal) protein until the next episode. so….we had a long long talk, and i 'm going in with rex tomorrow , (other issues) and bringing him the articles telling you with a dog that is intolerant or allergic, rotating proteins, novel, of course, is more likely to not produce the intolerance. he told me, he guesses he should be the scientist but that i am. that was after i asked him if he reads labels on dog kibble.
of course, then he gasped when i said i was going to hare today for raw with bones (venison, llama, rabbit, goat). pity is -my husband is a butcher in a prime shop but really can't get that stuff, and grind it with bone.
oh well. after he gasped i asked him about all the recalls with dry kibble.
enough said.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a 3.5 month old Bullmastiff, I started him off on Eukanuba believing it was a high quality food but then I started to research dog foods online and the common consensus was that Eukanuba is junk and Orijen/Acana is high quality food. I switched my puppy over to Orijen but it gave him loose stools and sometimes full blown diarrhea. I have now switched him to Acana and will see how that goes. Today I went to the vet for vaccinations and told her the whole food story and she said that in her opinion Orijen and Acana were low quality foods and Eukanuba and Science Diet were both superior. She said that she isn't a dog nutritionist but has attended many seminars and is in no way affiliated to any dog food company. So I said that I had researched this online and it was widely believed that Orijen and Acana are far superior foods. Her response was that most of the reviews online are made by "paid off" people and most people do not understand how to read dog food ingredients. This sounds highly suspect to me, what do you guys think?
I am not very familiar with Orijen or Acana but from what I have heard, they are very good foods. In my opinion, it really depends on the dog. I have seen plenty of dogs that eat the Eukanuba and Science Diet and honestly, I've seen plenty that do just fine on it. Although, I've also seen dogs that do terribly on it. That could be said about any brand though. I don't think I'll ever be feeding my dogs either of those brands though. I would much rather stick with the higher end foods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found that many vets sell dog and cat foods right from their offices. Most have sold Science Diet. So I tend to think these vets are financially gaining in some way when they choose a pet food to sell in their front room! I have heard, over the years, that Science Diet is a lesser quality product! I read the labels! And many vets are uneducated in nutrition. Just as are many human doctors. The big name brands are not necessarily the ones who make the best dog food. Many of them have been subject to serious and deadly recalls. I have a local "boutique" pet store here and the owner thoroughly researches all dog foods she sells.....she is known to only sell quality dog foods from recognizable and safe companies who use sources for their raw ingredients that are in the USA or Canada. I just discovered Acana there,and my dogs love it. I like the fact that the company openly lists WHERE its raw ingredients are from and are fresh delivered to the plant daily(except for lamb, which usually comes from New Zealand). I am more than willing to spend the money for a great quality dog food. I want to know the sources. Acana openly tells you on its packaging, which most manufacturers do not do and you end up having to actually call them and ask specific questions - very specific questions!
But all dogs have different reactions to dog foods. And introducing a new food to them - even top shelf foods -can mess with their little systems. ALWAYS introduce a new food GRADUALLY, mixing it with the current food first before totally switching over. And if the dog still has discomfort, find a new dog food! It sometimes takes time to find a great dog food that your pet tolerates well. I have four dogs and sometimes a particular brand will not be tolerated by ONE of these babies....I have to switch so they all tolerate the food in their bowl.
Also, trust your dog food seller.....find one who takes the time to research what they sell. Also keep in mind that you probably won't see how a dog food affects your pet until the dog is older. Longevity and continued health are the true test, and that doesn't become evident for years!

61 - 80 of 81 Posts