Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I have a 3.5 month old Bullmastiff, I started him off on Eukanuba believing it was a high quality food but then I started to research dog foods online and the common consensus was that Eukanuba is junk and Orijen/Acana is high quality food. I switched my puppy over to Orijen but it gave him loose stools and sometimes full blown diarrhea. I have now switched him to Acana and will see how that goes. Today I went to the vet for vaccinations and told her the whole food story and she said that in her opinion Orijen and Acana were low quality foods and Eukanuba and Science Diet were both superior. She said that she isn't a dog nutritionist but has attended many seminars and is in no way affiliated to any dog food company. So I said that I had researched this online and it was widely believed that Orijen and Acana are far superior foods. Her response was that most of the reviews online are made by "paid off" people and most people do not understand how to read dog food ingredients. This sounds highly suspect to me, what do you guys think?
I don't feed kibble, but It sounds to me like the vet is the one who dosn't know how to read the labels.

I would be looking for another vet!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I would immediately find a different vet, normally I would trust someone who went to school for eight years. But, SERIOUSLY? Especially owning a dog with specific nutrition requirements......
Vets get very little nutrional education in vet school. It's one area most know very little about. Science Diet pretty much funds vet nutrional courses. They get benefits for marketing and selling SD, Eukanuba etc....... They know what the company reps tell them about their foods. So, of course they are going to push what they sell in their office.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.