Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown: Yesterday I had to rush my female to the vet, I tried to get her to my normal vet but time was of the essence and I had to go to the first one I came to as I got to town. (I live 20 min. from town) It all happened so fast, but I came home from town with the dogs, they had been to my vet for their anals, and I did errands, they were good dogs so they got a bone when I got home, a bison bone, apparantly a piece of the bone lodged in Cayennes's
esophagus, and she couldn't get it up or out. She was gasping for air. Long story story short, I will never leave my dogs alone again with a bone, and I should have gotten pet insurance.......... Boy that one was a doozer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
scary! she okay now?

pet insurance is wonderful. I have VPI for Peanut.

·
Registered
523 Posts
:frown: Yesterday I had to rush my female to the vet, I tried to get her to my normal vet but time was of the essence and I had to go to the first one I came to as I got to town. (I live 20 min. from town) It all happened so fast, but I came home from town with the dogs, they had been to my vet for their anals, and I did errands, they were good dogs so they got a bone when I got home, a bison bone, apparantly a piece of the bone lodged in Cayennes's
esophagus, and she couldn't get it up or out. She was gasping for air. Long story story short, I will never leave my dogs alone again with a bone, and I should have gotten pet insurance.......... Boy that one was a doozer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is scary! :eek: That's one reason I don't like to give bones to my dogs. You just never know!!!!! Is she ok now? I have pet insurance on 4 of my 5 pets and depending on which insurance company you go with and what is covered some are better than others.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it was very, very scary I was honking at people to get the hell out of my way. I could hear her gasping in bursts in the back seat. A bison bone is a knuckle bone I believe, they sell them wherever they sell premade raw food, along with the marrow bones and lamb bones, they've had them many times before with no problem, I just thank god I was able to get her to the nearest vet in time. They had to anesthesize her and literally push the bone thru to her stomach, they must have taken 8 x-rays, I have to keep her sedated for a few days because her throat is so raw that when she's not relaxed she starts to cough. I'm hoping that there is not going to be any scar tissue.
I have her on a bland diet of hamburger and cottage cheese, no bones right now.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
That is a weight bearing bone from a large animal. Feeding those is a big no no in the raw feeding world. I have warned many people about feeding weight bearing bones from large animals and often get an answer, "I have been doing it for years with no problems." Sometimes you can do that but eventually if you feed them enough, you will have a problem. I hope some people learned a lesson in this case. Usually its not this serious but chipped or broken teeth are not unusual outcomes of dogs chewing on these bones.

I'm sorry your girl had to have this happen to her. I'm glad she is ok now. Thank you for telling us abou it. :smile:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, it was very, very scary I was honking at people to get the hell out of my way. I could hear her gasping in bursts in the back seat. A bison bone is a knuckle bone I believe, they sell them wherever they sell premade raw food, along with the marrow bones and lamb bones, they've had them many times before with no problem, I just thank god I was able to get her to the nearest vet in time. They had to anesthesize her and literally push the bone thru to her stomach, they must have taken 8 x-rays, I have to keep her sedated for a few days because her throat is so raw that when she's not relaxed she starts to cough. I'm hoping that there is not going to be any scar tissue.
I have her on a bland diet of hamburger and cottage cheese, no bones right now.
I'm sooooo glad she's ok now and I hope she will be in the future. My heart goes out to you! Please keep us posted about her. My prayers are w/you. :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to know why they sell them to people who feed raw diets if they are a no-no,
shouldn't there be a warning or something out there to other owners of what can happen.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:Cayenne is back to normal today, she's back to eating chicken wings for breakfast, all the stress has caused me to come down with something, temperature, chills, etc. not going to work today.:wink:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Well at least you get the day off and I'm glad Cayenne is back to normal! I agree with you that they shouldn't sell them to people if they cause a chocking hazard, but then again, they sell things like rawhide, cooked femur bones, and Pedigree to kibble feeders, so it's not like we're being discriminated against in the bad/dangerous merchandise department. It's up to us to educate ourselves on these products, unfortunately.

·
Registered
523 Posts
:Cayenne is back to normal today, she's back to eating chicken wings for breakfast, all the stress has caused me to come down with something, temperature, chills, etc. not going to work today.:wink:
I'm so glad Cayenne is back to normal. Sorry to hear about you though. Stress will do that. Just rest up and you too will be back to normal in no time! :biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
:eek:Jeez that would freak me out! So I don't like to give my dogs any bones I can hardly find anything Stella can't destroy. What kind of bones do any of you think are OK for a Mastiff? This dog drives me crazy putting all kinds of crazy stuffin her mouth like rocks, nails plastic stuff, etc. I really have to watch her.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
:eek:Jeez that would freak me out! So I don't like to give my dogs any bones I can hardly find anything Stella can't destroy. What kind of bones do any of you think are OK for a Mastiff? This dog drives me crazy putting all kinds of crazy stuffin her mouth like rocks, nails plastic stuff, etc. I really have to watch her.
I don't advocate feeding any bare bones. I feed bones gererously covered in meat. I particularly advise against feeding weight bearing bones of large animals such as femur bones or knuckle bones from cows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts