Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunting season is almost upon us, and we are avid hunters. This got me thinking... I know they discard the ribs of the deer when they are processed. This year I want to keep them as recreational chews for my boys. I see many people recommend beef ribs, but what is the thought on venison ribs??

Any thoughts on how to serve them? Two at a time attached? Any ideas how to package them? We do have a large freezer, so space is not an issue.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Venison ribs are great for the dogs to chew on and there should be some meat left on them, depending on the size of your dogs you can decide how many ribs you want to leave together maybe 2-4 depending on size of the deer and dogs. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We were fortunate enough to find a few racks last year and the girls loved them. They are much more edible than compared to beef ribs, so they didn't hold up like a traditional "rec" bone is supposed to. It was a good chew for them though. Good luck...and if you come across a few extra send em this way LOL :wink:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have three large dogs with powerful jaws. I cannot find anything that they cannot destroy withing 1/2 an hour. How many ribs would you serve each dog at a time? I was reading that freezing them keeps them cleaner and makes them last longer?

Danemama - I am out your way at least once a year, maybe we can work something out! My brother lives in Superior, so I should ask him if he will hunt this year. :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts