Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading an article on a reputable breeder's website, where she advocates raw feeding quite extensively.
There are thee quirks in the article that I would like You to be shed light on.

First: she says that to complete the diet we need to add vegetables and fruits.

Second: we need to add supplements in their diets-she make a list of lots of vitamins like E, C, alfalfa, multivitamin and others.

Third: she only give dogs the yolk part of the egg. She doesn't say why.

Any of you agree with this diet?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have been reading an article on a reputable breeder's website, where she advocates raw feeding quite extensively.

Need to? Nope. Would it be beneficial? Maybe. I did when I fed raw. I still give my dogs mangoes, bananas and apples. They LOVE it! Also, papaya helps with digestion and has been proven to reduce the incidence of stomach ulcers. :smile: When you do supplement with vegetable matter, make sure it is not toxic to your dog before doing so, such as those found in the allium (onion) family.

Second: we need to add supplements in their diets-she make a list of lots of vitamins like E, C, alfalfa, multivitamin and others.
If the diet is balanced, supplementation is not needed unless the dog is at a very high level of performance.

I'm clueless, too.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I agree with SuZQuzie. Fruits and veggies are not necessary for a canine. But, I believe they add nutritional value (even though I've been told they don't). Aspen gets broccoli and carrots with his fish for dinner. They say that carrots don't digest well in the canine stomach. When you give the carrot to them in big pieces, yes they come out the way they went in. I've seen it. That is why I puree them. The broccoli digests just fine. So do his apples. For him to be so healthy, I believe the fruits and veggies are helping. I know it's the fish too, but I don't give him a lot anyway. They aren't required in a canine diet, but my dog loves them and I choose to stick with them. :wink:

As for supplements, dogs don't need them if the diet is balanced. :wink:

·
Banned
620 Posts
I

Any of you agree with this diet?
The first one, adding fruits and vegetables I would say has zero biological value for the dog so why waste your money?

The second one, only in regards to a kibble diet (not with raw) vitamin E can help because much of what has been added prior has been cooked out and possible nonexistent, or in such minuscule amount not beneficial.

The third one, humans do the same sometime, eating just the yoke for the protein and removing the white for health reasons. The breeder is mixing aspects of human health for carnivores, a common mistake.

Alfalfa is one of the ingredients to be avoided for dogs (toxins). Avoid it like the plague. It is also a green and serves no role in carnivore dogs diet other than delivering sub-lethal doses of poison over time. Ingredients like alfalfa and many others found in dog food are direct connections to allergies for dogs.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't care how reputable she is, she obvously isn't an expert on canine nutrition. I know reputable breeders who recommend Purina Puppy Chow.

There are no nutrients in vegetables and fruits that are not in the bodies of the prey animals that eat them. They probably won't hurt a dog but I have yet to see any convincing evidence that they help in the least little bit. One of my early mentors, Tom Lonsdale says they MAY help but I'm not convinced.

If you feed the meat, bones and organs from a variety of animals ... Mostly meat, some bone, and some organs, there is no need for any supplementation unless the dog has a health problem that might be helped by a supplement.

I have seen that argument before. It's somethin about biotin in the egg white that does something harmful in the body. I think its an old myth. I feed my dogs whole eggs at least once a week.

If you have to process some food item (puree in this case) then the dog definately doesn't need it. They have evolved for millions of years without it and they don't need it today.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The following is irrelevant to the OP:

I saw, malluver, that you mentioned feeding vegetables with fish. While this isn't true for all fish, many fish contain thiaminase, an enzyme that breaks down thiamine or vitamin B1. A diet with enough thiaminase-containing fish in it can result in B1 deficiency; one of the early warning signs of this is fatigue. Instead of brocolli, I would suggest you feed peas with the fish. They are a great source of vitamin B1 to balance out the thiaminase. :smile:

While this site is for turtles, it does state which fish do and do not contain thiaminase.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have seen that argument before. It's somethin about biotin in the egg white that does something harmful in the body. I think its an old myth. I feed my dogs whole eggs at least once a week.
A protein found in egg whites, avidin, it known to "tie up" biotin and cause biotin deficiency. Biotin deficiency is known to cause cracking foot pads and poor hair quality. If you don't see those in your dogs, don't worry about it. If you do, cut back on the eggs.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The following is irrelevant to the OP:

I saw, malluver, that you mentioned feeding vegetables with fish. While this isn't true for all fish, many fish contain thiaminase, an enzyme that breaks down thiamine or vitamin B1. A diet with enough thiaminase-containing fish in it can result in B1 deficiency; one of the early warning signs of this is fatigue. Instead of brocolli, I would suggest you feed peas with the fish. They are a great source of vitamin B1 to balance out the thiaminase. :smile:

While this site is for turtles, it does state which fish do and do not contain thiaminase.
This site for thiaminase was very helpful. Thanks. He gets salmon, so he's ok. As for peas, why instead of broccoli? I thought they were considered bad?

·
Registered
210 Posts
This site for thiaminase was very helpful. Thanks. He gets salmon, so he's ok. As for peas, why instead of broccoli? I thought they were considered bad?
Broccoli is just fine; I only suggested peas as a natural supplement for thiamine to balance out the effects of thiaminase found in some fish.

Who said peas were bad? Why? :confused: I fed my dogs peas for years and they survived. But then again, I have no problem with potatoes, aka DEADLY NIGHTSHADE!!! Spooky stuff. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Broccoli is just fine; I only suggested peas as a natural supplement for thiamine to balance out the effects of thiaminase found in some fish.

Who said peas were bad? Why? :confused: I fed my dogs peas for years and they survived. But then again, I have no problem with potatoes, aka DEADLY NIGHTSHADE!!! Spooky stuff. :tongue:
I believe there is a thread on here that is titled "things you shouldn't feed a dog." And peas is on the list...

I didn't believe half of that stuff anyway...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I believe there is a thread on here that is titled "things you shouldn't feed a dog." And peas is on the list...

I didn't believe half of that stuff anyway...
Glad to hear it. :biggrin:

·
Banned
620 Posts

Me of course! Why? Just like the alfalfa, toxins...and yes the potatoes for the same reasons. I'll eat these myself obviously, but I really do avoid feeding any ingredients like that to my dog.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Me of course! Why? Just like the alfalfa, toxins...and yes the potatoes for the same reasons. I'll eat these myself obviously, but I really do avoid feeding any ingredients like that to my dog.
Oooo! Toxins! Which ones? Why are those bad? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing is to say that potatoes and alike are not necessary, but toxics? Where did you get the info?

It's interesting to see so many different points of view.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Actually thinking back, I did once hear that raw potatoes were toxic to dogs, I think something to do with the eyes? Don't know if what I heard was true or a myth.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts

But useless white rice is ideal though right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I feed Oakley bananas and apples and celery as treats... mostly just because she doesnt like the healthy dog biscuits I bought. I baked liver for treats and she loves those but its too rich to let her have too many. I plan to borrow my brothers dehydrator to make some lil chicken bits for her. :)

·
Banned
620 Posts
One thing is to say that potatoes and alike are not necessary, but toxics? Where did you get the info?

It's interesting to see so many different points of view.
I got that info from my biochemist (non affiliated with grant money coming from Purina or Hills justifying cheap inappropriate ingredients).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts