Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eh...

Look on YouTube and search for "vegan dog" and you will find countless people feeding their dogs vegan/vegetarian diets. What do you think about that? I personally just don't understand... That's not what dogs are meant to eat so why would you force your dog that way? And yet the dogs do not seem to be altogether unhealthy... I don't know. Thoughts?

(sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

·
Registered
832 Posts
I saw a lot of vegan dogs at a vegan Thanksgiving potluck I went to. They all looked happy and healthy.

Just not right for my dog. Grains make him chew himself bald. I listen to nature and my dog naturally thrives on meat. I do not crave it for myself so I don't eat it.

Reactions: SpooOwner

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a hard time believing that vegan/vegetarian dogs are healthy. But if they are, then I have no complaints. Healthy, happy dogs are the end-goal, no matter how that goal is achieved.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Human vegans are generally (although not always) the ones that are "forcing" their pets to join them in their ethical or health choices of becoming vegan.

Most people assume protein is protein, suggesting that beans, legumes, soy and other plant protein sources would nourish their pets just as well as themselves.

Wrong! I'm actually rather surprised that a person that would convert to veganism for their health purposes would be so ignorant of their pet's nutritional requirements.

Not all protein sources are created the same. Proteins consists of different amino acids in different forms. Dogs require certain amino acids that are only available in animal sources, plant proteins simply does not contain them in which the animal will start showing signs of nutritional deficiencies.

Remember the incident a few years back when cats were becoming ill, some dying because their diet was deficient in taurine? Taurine is naturally abundant in meat, especially raw meat. It is an amino acid that plants cannot produce.

To make a long story short, carnivorous creatures cannot thrive on a vegan diet, from a biological stand point, it simply isn't possible. I had a vegan gentleman argue that there was a Border Collie named Bramble, lived to 27 years of age that has been fed nothing but fresh vegetables its entire life and the owner credited the animal's longevity to its vegan diet.

I responded that there are anomolies among dogs and humans as well, that from a genetic standpoint they're just predisposed to good health and are more resilient. Mr. George Burns was not an advocate for healthy living. He smoked, drank (although not excessively) and certainly wasn't vegan and lived a 100 years of full life.

My best friend's sheperd mix lived 18 disease free years with little exercise and the cheapest kibble you can find and passed in her sleep. Meanwhile triathletes are dropping dead at 25, healthshake in hand. None of this is any viable evidence to me that a dog will do well on a vegan diet.

I've spoken with many vegan customers that had walked in my store asking for vegan dog food and their only reason is because of ethical beliefs and it infuriates me. What's inethical is you feeding your dog inappropiate food because of your ethics, probably the reason I got fired. End of rant. :biggrin:

·
Registered
642 Posts
We see quite a few vegetarian dogs at the hospital(not sure about vegan). They all look surprisingly good. We also see a vegan cat. That is a different story. The cat is 3 years old and has lost most of her teeth. She is obese, has no muscle, and is constantly sick.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The doctors have told her time and time again she is killing her cat. She refuses to listen.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We see quite a few vegetarian dogs at the hospital(not sure about vegan). They all look surprisingly good.
Perhaps they still get eggs and dairy, that helps a great deal.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The doctors have told her time and time again she is killing her cat. She refuses to listen.
Too bad from a legal standpoint she can't be reported for animal cruelty, although that's essentially what it is even if her intentions are good but ultimately that cat is the one to suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I actually just saw a Animal Cops episode where a lady fed her cats a vegetarian diet. This led to blindness, mental disorders, and eventually end stage organ failure. Cats simply cannot live on a vegetarian diet. Out of all of her cats (I think around 15), every single one of them had eye degeneration. I hope that lady feeding her cat a vegetarian diet opens her eyes soon.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually just saw a Animal Cops episode where a lady fed her cats a vegetarian diet. This led to blindness, mental disorders, and eventually end stage organ failure. Cats simply cannot live on a vegetarian diet. Out of all of her cats (I think around 15), every single one of them had eye degeneration. I hope that lady feeding her cat a vegetarian diet opens her eyes soon.
I saw that as well. :frown:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
A healthy dog is not necessarily a thriving dog.

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
921 Posts
Vegan fed dogs sicken me, the owners sicken me. That's like feeding a cow nothing but meat products. What's worse is vegan cats, because cats cannot even produce their own taurine, so a vegan diet is basically a death-sentence.

Some people refuse to believe that their pet is a carnivore and see supposedly "healthy" vegan dogs/cats and then try to force their pet to do the same.

I am totally 100% fine with people being vegans, less animals have to be tortured in slaughter houses, etc. etc., but when they try to convert their carnivourous animals that's cruel.

Seriously, they should just get a hamster if they want to feed it vegan.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Vegan fed dogs sicken me, the owners sicken me. That's like feeding a cow nothing but meat products. What's worse is vegan cats, because cats cannot even produce their own taurine, so a vegan diet is basically a death-sentence.

Some people refuse to believe that their pet is a carnivore and see supposedly "healthy" vegan dogs/cats and then try to force their pet to do the same.

I am totally 100% fine with people being vegans, less animals have to be tortured in slaughter houses, etc. etc., but when they try to convert their carnivourous animals that's cruel.

Seriously, they should just get a hamster if they want to feed it vegan.
I can always count on you, for an excellent rant. Thanks:smile:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts