Dog Food Chat banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i think you know, that if ever i were to feed a pre made, it would be darwin....
i don't know enough about honest kitchen to comment, although i have heard very nice reviews...

the fish oil you are feeding now....is he itchy? is he having a reaction?
if not, then why fix it if it's not broken?

however, yes, mercola's or vital choice would work for your dogs.....and the reason for feeding fish oil is simply to balance out the lack of omega 3s in today's foodstuffs.....

factor in the vaccines and other things in the environment and surely a little omega three cannot hurt. :)

my dogs reacted to soy, both of them........and i have such a hate on for soy....especially the soy grown in this country...it is so cheap in quality....that i did search high and low until i found a human fish/salmon oil product the dogs and i could take without issue.
Boone is mostly a paw licker. I currently have him off potato (with the Honest Kitchen, using their Zeal now) to see if that means something. After reading this thread, I am wondering if the fish oil he currently gets, that has "natural tocepherols" (sp) could possibly have soy. While looking around at Mercola, I see they have a krill oil now for pets. I once got a fish oil, didn't check the label, he got an ear infection after about a week of taking it. That's when I noticed a secondary ingredient was soy.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
marie, what fish oil are you feeding....natural tocopherols usually means soy, but i'd have to check.

kat, i was using carlson's too. i had even called them, but in truth, they use soy as the source, too.

this is why i switched to mercola.
Oh mannnn are you serious lol. I bought a 1 year supply of Carlson -.-'

·
Registered
542 Posts
Holy crap! I just checked the prices on the Mercola Salmon oil and they are way cheaper than the ones I've been getting for the dogs and way higher quality (I've been getting cheap-o walmart brand ones)! Gotta love when that happens :tongue:

Thanks Re :smile:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
marie, what fish oil are you feeding....natural tocopherols usually means soy, but i'd have to check.

kat, i was using carlson's too. i had even called them, but in truth, they use soy as the source, too.

this is why i switched to mercola.
Boone-Nature's Bounty Fish Oil
Ginger-Trader Joe's Samon Oil (picked that up, didn't realize it has soy but it says contains soy)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Can I continue giving Ruby the Carlsons? I wold hate to waste 300+ capsules.

Also, I'm looking at the mercola site and only see krill oil. Is that the only oil they make? What is the difference between the human and pet one? Is the pet one still the same quality? And, does it have vitamin e in it?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ya Ruby is fine with this salmon oil from Carlsons. I'll look into buying the mercola one next year, I just hate wasting money.

Reactions: magicre

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I was talking to someone I know from elsewhere about oil for the dogs. She said: "As far as Mercola -- krill is supposed to be more sustainable and contaminate free but the Mercola salmon oil is tested so I think either are a good choice.". She is someone I respect when talking about this, I think she knows what she's talking about, much like Re! Just thought I'd share what she said.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Okay, I was looking up the mercola salmon oil and it seems to come in soft gets only but it doesn't say how much is in each capsule. How do you know how much to give each dog? It says a human should take one capsule twice a day. Does most fish oil come in capsules? Would I take a capsule and cut it open and give each big dog half and the puppy a couple of drops?

It seems like a liquid pump type thing would be easier but they probably don't come that way.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I've been giving Ruby one 1000mg capsule of fish oil every other day. Is 1000mg too much?

ETA she doesn't get any fish in her diet, only fish oil.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts