Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have any experience with Valerian Root as a sedative or anti-anxiety?

I'm thinking of trying this out with one of my dogs instead of using Benedryl all the time during storms and the like.

I've read the anecdotal evidence that Google provides; I'm just looking for more.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Unoriginal, I have given it to my cat before road trips. It seems to help quite a bit. I also take it to sleep sometimes. It can cause strange dreams but does seem to have a sedative effect. I fall asleep quite quickly with it. Probably healthier than Benedryl and worth a try...

I haven't tried it on Molly (my dog), but I would imagine it would calm her while awake. I would also expect heavy dreaming and related activity while sleeping, especially if your dog is already an active dreamer.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is helpful. Thank you! :)

Do you think it would be best to try it on a day where the effect is not necessary to see how the dog reacts? I've read that it is calming for some dogs but others it has the opposite effect on. I have read it will make some dogs hyperactive and that worries me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting

Hi Unoriginal, that's interesting that you heard Valerian makes some dogs hyper. I would bet it's true, as it makes a small percentage of the human population hyper instead of calm or even sleepy. My Dad actually has the hyper effect after taking Valerian and finds it very strange that rest of the family uses it to fall asleep sometimes.

I would definitely try it on a day where you have time to notice the effect it has on your pooch.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks for your thoughts!

You basically reinforced my own thoughts but sometimes it's easier to hear it from others. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts