Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Kuso has been doing really well. He still has issues with the other dogs when he gets to playing too rough and we have to yell at him, and I haven't had a chance to bring in Havok to play with them to see if he still barks up a storm at him.

Yesterday, when I was feeding him, Amaya got done with her food and came out. Kuso had a big chunk of meat in his mouth, and Amaya got all up in his face, and all he did was turn away. Absolutely NO growling, snapping, freezing, or ANY such aggressive action. I praised him profusely. Same thing happened last night when my husband was feeding him. Again, praised him profusely.

He's still not making much progress in the house training department. Well, I shouldn't say that. He has made a little bit of progress, but still has a ways to go.

As for the stupid *cough* vets that I got him from? Well, they're inconsiderate, unprofessional, and just plain stupid. I went in there requesting to take him to a vet of my choice for his rabies shot at a time I felt more appropriate, and they told me that he HAD to have his rabies shot as per the adoption agreement that states he has to have his shots at four months old, but I don't think he's four months old yet. Not only that, but I requested not to have the shots done at the same time, the DDHPP and Rabies, because I didn't want anything to happen because of it, and the vet sits there giving me a LECTURE for about fifteen minutes before I finally said "Whatever." THEN he had the nerve to tell me that I SHOULD come back there for his check ups and shots at a year old. Oh, and then I tried telling all of them that I was trying to teach him not to jump up on people, and what do they do? They completely IGNORED me. Like, seriously? "Oh, Charlie! Charlie! You're getting so BIG!!! Come and give me kisses!" "Kuso, off. Yeah, I'm trying to teach him not to jump." "Charlie, we've missed you! Come on up!" -.-

Oh, and he's getting even fatter, so I'm going to cut back his food intake. He's getting 14 oz each feeding time, which is 1 lb 12 oz., but it's still too much, because I can grab even more fat than I could when he came to us. haha.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I'm glad to see that he is make some real progress. It was great of you to work with him a bit and give him some more time and a chance at changing. Keep up the good work.

That does sound like quite a bit of food for him...what does he weigh currently? I would definitely cut back if he's getting even more chubby. Raw fed dogs can gain weight pretty darn fast just because they utilize most of what they eat.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does sound like quite a bit of food for him...what does he weigh currently? I would definitely cut back if he's getting even more chubby. Raw fed dogs can gain weight pretty darn fast just because they utilize most of what they eat.
lol! You told me to feed him 2 pounds! XP I can't find where. Could have swore I had a thread for it, but yeah. I asked, and you said that 2.3 pounds is what I should be feeding him, but since he's on the fat side, to feed him just 2. I've been feeding him even less than that, but a bit more than Ryou. I just recently upped Amaya's and Ryou's food intake, because they're a little on the skinny side (but only a little, I can just feel their backbones a bit more than I used to be able to). haha.

Also, he's about twenty-two pounds. I don't listen to what the vet said, because they obviously didn't pay attention to the fact that I GAVE UP! trying to weigh him at their office because he wouldn't sit still, and it was an inaccurate reading, considering I had to hold onto him, which probably took some weight OFF of the reading. Stupid people. -.-

But yeah, I'm going to cut him back to between 10-12 ounces. Amaya is eating 10 right now, and Ryou is eating 12, and I'll see how he does with that.

On another note, he got into my friend's dog food today and seemed to have ate quite a bit. Now he has diarrhea and is really bloated and didn't seem interested in his raw food this afternoon (several hours after the fact), but he did eat about a quarter of the meal. Should I be worried at all? I'm not worried right now, but just the bloating is kinda making me a bit edgy. I didn't really think he got into that much of it, because I could hear him rummaging in the bag, like, right away, and scolded him and got him out of it, but yeah. Anyways, I'm hoping that's the case and that fasting him over the next day will decrease the bloating and help with his diarrhea.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Me telling you how much to feed isn't the same thing of how much he should actually get :tongue:

Remember that we start off with our amounts from just a guideline and we have to make adjustments if needed. So, you will have to modify how much to give him now since ~2# is too much.

Since he got into some kibble I would give it 24 hours to pass before feeding him any raw food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts