Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I introduced myself in the Introduction forum, and warned then that I would be full of questions! :rolleyes: So...I have another one!

WHY bone-in chicken for the first two weeks? It seems like with all that bone - especially in chicken backs - the guideline of 80% meat/10% bone/10% organ (and I know organ meat does not come in for at LEAST two months!) won't be met. I would think with all that bone, it would be closer to 50/50, or even MORE bone than meat. Is that to help with the potential diarrhea problems the change to raw could cause? Are chicken backs the ideal piece to feed for two weeks, or should I throw in some thighs, drumsticks, breasts, etc? I'm getting ready to go shopping, and want to buy the right cuts of meat!

I have two Boxers - a 1 year old male (60#) and a 7.5 month old female (50#).

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
WHY bone-in chicken for the first two weeks? It seems like with all that bone - especially in chicken backs - the guideline of 80% meat/10% bone/10% organ (and I know organ meat does not come in for at LEAST two months!) won't be met.
The reason is that during any kind of feeding transition, dogs are very likely to experience lose, runny stools. Bone acts as a binding agent, keeping the stools firm through the transition... and therefore keeping your doggies comfortable. (I don't know how YOU feel when you have diarrhea... but I can tell you I don't feel too fantastic! lol!!) With raw feeding, the key is balance over time, so while you wouldn't want to feed just bone inclusive meals all the time, a couple weeks of it isn't going to do any harm at all.
I never fed backs, only because they aren't readily avaliable to me, and I never cared enough to go looking for them. I like to feed Chicken leg Quarters as my bone inclusive chicken, much more meat on them than backs.

Trial and error, really, is what will get you through the transition. Feed quarters, and if their stools are perfect, try a small boneless meal after a few days, and if all is well, alternate between bone-inclusive and boneless. My dogs were all having some boneless meals after about a week without trouble. I would say definitely stay with JUST chicken for two weeks, but after a week if all is good, start experimenting with boneless.

That's the beauty of raw, there's really no RULES or absolute right and wrong. mostly meat, some bone, some organ.

Are chicken backs the ideal piece to feed for two weeks, or should I throw in some thighs, drumsticks, breasts, etc?
I fild chicken leg quarters to be the cheapest readily available cut in my area, and that's ALL the chicken I feed. I cut them in half (separate drumstick from thigh) for my smaller dog. Backs are the highest bone content, so they can make transition easier, but *most* dogs I've heard about, do fine on drummies, wings, thighs... or more size appropriate for your dogs: quarters.

I think I covered all your questions.

ETA: 1.5lbs/day split in two meals has been perfect for my 55lb female boxer.

Some things you can try IF the transition isn't going as smoothly as we all hope for:
Removing the skin until stools are solid, and slowly adding it back in.
Increase bone content.
Split their food per day into as many smaller meals as your schedule will allow (I had to do 3 half pound meals for my Annie at first)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Thank you AGAIN, Linsey! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts