Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that have medium to large size dogs do you feed turkey wings and drummies? Or do you find that they are still a bit too small?

Lucky is a good chewer, so I am sure they would be fine for her.
Duncan is a monster. He is so dang excited about all this raw. I am hoping he learns to slow down a bit...hahaha.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay...cool. Just looking for some other types of turkey I can feed. I will be starting them with necks (not for another week or so). Would you think a wing has the same bone content of a neck? Less? I know a drummie would have less bone and more meat...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yup. Ania eats turkey wings and drummies as stand-alone meals with no problem. They're HUGE! To give you and idea of size, she clocked in at 77.8 lbs yesterday at the vet. That's medium-large, right?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Bill is right. They are HUGE. The bones are super dense and can be a struggle for dogs that are hesitant about chewing. I would say that you wont want to feed these until at least 6 months into raw feeding, since you'd want your dogs to be raw eating machines before giving these.

One wing or drummie is an entire meal for Bailey and an entire day's worth of food for the other girls.

I think for now just stick to turkey necks or even turkey frames if you can find them. The bones in those are not nearly as dense. Remember that turkey is turkey...it doesn't matter much which RMB from a turkey you feed :wink:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Bill is right. They are HUGE. The bones are super dense and can be a struggle for dogs that are hesitant about chewing. I would say that you wont want to feed these until at least 6 months into raw feeding, since you'd want your dogs to be raw eating machines before giving these.
Yes, I second that. Turkey drumstick bones are some relatively serious bones that you'll want to work up to.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Thanks you guys. :smile:

Good to know about how dense the bone is. I will be sure and wait until down the road a ways.

I am going to start them on necks in another week or two....:wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah me too sara. On Monday my two dogs will start on turkey necks. I'm glad I checked here, because I wasn't recalling what I looked up here just this morning!!:rolleyes: What a memory I have!!:biggrin: I was going to go buy turkey wings today!! Turkey necks are what I had read here...so I'm glad that I didn't go buy the wings and have a "doh!" moment!! :eek:

Carol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts