Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's friend just gave him a bunch of tuna. About 10 lbs. Not the canned kind, he caught it himself. It's red in color. Is this ok to give to Aspen?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't know, but I just wanted to add 'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmsushi'.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Tsk! ;)
More for me then!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Where did he catch it? Was it frozen previously or did he feed it fresh? I cant think of any reasons why it wouldn't be ok to feed...but I will look into it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did he catch it? Was it frozen previously or did he feed it fresh? I cant think of any reasons why it wouldn't be ok to feed...but I will look into it.
Gulf of Mexico. He gave it to my dad frozen...

Probably froze it after he caught it...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I couldn't find any reason not to either!
I googled because I was bored.

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, his tuna is thawing right now. I'll see how he likes it!

BTW, they are actually REALLY big pieces. I know I said about 10 lbs., but I think there's about 30 lbs!

·
Banned
493 Posts
yea go for it. should be fine. i just wouldn't feed tuna too often because its mercury levels are higher than other fish such as salmon. but on occasion there should be no problem.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey there Todd! I thought there was just mercury in the canned tuna? This one was just recently caught about a month ago down in the Gulf of Mexico.

·
Banned
493 Posts
mmmm. i'm really not 100% sure whether it's just canned salmon or if it's fresh caught salmon as well. here's some research i found;

And it's not just "canned" tuna. The New York Times did a feature in early 2008 on the absurd levels of mercury found when they sampled tuna sushi from 20 Manhattan stores and restaurants.

Nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of methylmercury. However, larger fish that have lived longer have the highest levels of methylmercury because they've had more time to accumulate it. These large fish (swordfish, shark, king mackerel, tuna, and tilefish) pose the greatest risk. Other types of fish and shellfish may be eaten in the amounts recommended by FDA and EPA.

but seeing as though you know who caught the actual fish, i'm not sure whether tuna naturally has high mercury levels or it's just used as a preservative or something after being processed. hopefully someone else can answer that.

here are the top 4 types of fish with the lowest mercury levels;

salmon, pollock, shrimp, catfish.

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I believe the reason these larger fish have higher levels of mercury is because of biomagnification (or something like that) where they eat fish that have mercury in it all the time so they acquire more mercury content that way. That is why the mercury is present in the fish in the first place, so it doesn't matter whether it's raw or canned, it still has it in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts