Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
All commercial dog foods are bad
No, I do not agree. Not all commercial foods are bad, you just have to do a bit of research into what you'd like to feed. Most commercial diets arnt the greatest because they contain a lot of one ingredient ( eg: corn, 80% of a food, but in 5 forms). Just like humans, dogs need variety, and need the essential amino acids found in various foods rather than from one source. Its suggested if you feed commercial diets that you rotate foods every month or every few months.. this allows different vitamins, proteins etc to be included in the diet. Adding fresh foods also certainly helps. If this is the only way that really works for you, your pet will do fine, as long as you find a good quality food. There are lots of good brands out there. Not every diet is right for every pet.

A dog's digestive system is not able to fully digest and utilize grains
This one at least has some truth to it. - I agree partially with this one. According to a booard certified vet nutritionalist from the university of tennessee, dogs can digest up to 60% carbohydrates in their diet. Canines, though not their ideal diet will eat grains,grasses etc if its available. This does not mean that because they can digest them that it is their ideal diet, but they are able to digest them to a certain extent and get some nutrition from them. Humans can obviously digest grains too, but if we ate a diet of 90% grains only ( eg, what most low end dog foods are) we wouldnt be too healthy either.

A dog can only truly be healthy if you feed a raw diet
This is another claim never backed up by scientific proof. Any animal can only be healthy if its diet supplies all essential nutrients in sufficient quantities. If even just one of them is missing or not present in at least the minimum required quantity, the animal will start showing signs of malnutrition, eventually become sick and die. Some deficiencies don't take very long to become apparent, others develop over a long time before the critical state of health becomes obvious and some diseases are even caused by excessive intake instead of deficiency. The key to a healthy dog is not either raw or processed food, but an overall diet that meets the individual requirements of the dog in question.
( whats posted above was already included in the previous post, but I agree with whats posted) There is no scientific study done that shows the benefits of a raw diet over a commercial diet. Theres lots of owner 'proof' that their pet seemd to have done better on it, but no actual study behind these claims. I'm not discounting peoples claims, but there is no proof that one diet is better than the other. Again I state, no one diet is best for every dog. Some dogs do wonderful on raw, others not as great. Dont feel bad if you cant do a raw diet for your dog. If done right it has its benefits, but its not for everyone in my opinion.

Dogs are carnivores
All scientific evidence points towards the fact that dogs, while not true carnivores, are opportunistic, carnivorous scavengers. Cats on the other hand are true, obligate carnivores, requiring animal protein to survive. There is a difference between a carnivorous scavenger and an omnivore though - dogs lack the dental characteristics, longer digestive tract and specific enzymes of true omnivores like humans. That is the reason why they can not digest grains and vegetables unless they are "predigested" by processing, mincing/grinding, breakdown by enzymes, or fermentation through bacteria. Once converted, they are fully available to the dog.

This does, however, not mean that your dog will thrive on a diet mainly made up of poor quality grains or grain fragments, which is what most cheap foods are. Whole grains, including their entire complement of nutrients are much more valuable - and this does not only apply for a dog's diet, but for humans as well

I agree with this. Dogs are able to digest more grains and carbohydrates than cats. Cats do require taurine, which is only found in animal tissues as where dogs do not. There have been studies proven that cats have a much harder time on 'vegetarian diets' than dogs, unless very well supplimented and balanced. Dogs tended to do better, though not ideal..they still showed some difficencies on a vegetarian diet. Dogs do well certainly on a meat based ( but balanced with other ingredients) diet, I would classify them as mostly carnivores, but animals that do indeed have omnivore tendancies. They can eat just about anything, but of course would perfer meat over grains etc.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.