Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the merrick has the least ingrediants if I remeber correctly. Tripe and water(for processing). I would have to look it up again to be 100% sure, but I think that one is it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I use Merrick's canned salmon for our fish meals from the BG line, and it's got minimal ingredients.
I'm not sure about the tripe, but I assume it's probably the same.

Word of warning, the canned salmon stinks up the house, so I can't even imagine how ripe the tripe might smell. Hee, I rhymed. :p

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
The tripe isn't quite as smelly you would expect (in the canned variety at least), I used the Merrick BG tripe because of the less ingredients and softer texture. Which I know is due to more water but the tripett is just so dang hard, i think it's gross.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I used the trippet brand of tripe, and yes it has a few more ingredients but it comes from all pasture raised beef, lamb, and they have more varieties to chose from, they are very smelly:eek: but as soon as the dogs heard the can opener they came running. They get the real tripe now from GreenTripe.Com Main Index and they go crazy for that as well.:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I like the merrick ones better, though I don't use any at the moment. I can't stand the smell, and nothing that is not absolutely necessary is worth that stench to me! lol

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My dogs love that stinky tripe UGH! I always recommend a yankee candle haha!:tongue:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use the Merricks. But the pup only gets it when I'm somewhere with good ventilation haha. The thought of the smell right now is making me nauseous.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Never mind, I guess Merrick changed their ingredients in their BG cans recently so they're "balanced" now so I guess they aren't any less ingredients. I still like the texture better though! And since I have almost a full case of them, they're getting used, dangit!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
That's disappointing, I wonder when they changed it? I don't recall a public statement.
They had a great product... why did they have to go and ruin it?!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
How did they change the ingredients?
It used to be just Tripe, and water for processing, and the cans stated it was not a balanced diet, and intended for supplemental use only.

This is straight off their website now:
Our Before Grain canned food formulas are now COMPLETE and BALANCED diets! This grain-free, beef tripe entree is 96% meat with all the vitamins and minerals your dog needs for complete nutrition. No artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or by-products.

Ingredients:
Beef Tripe, Beef Broth, Dried Egg, Yeast Extract,
Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride,
Salt, Guar, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Carageenan,
Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex,
Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate,
Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Lecithin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid,
Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Glucoheptanate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate,
Sodium Selenite

This product is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO dog nutrient profile for all life stages.

very disappointing. And the price went up to almost 3 bucks a can.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Aww man. That sucks. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would guess the people who bought it, requested for a 'balanced' meal.

Some people want convenience over quality. That's why there are so many fast food restaurants.

Lots of moisture to this can of god food. :wink:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It used to be just Tripe, and water for processing, and the cans stated it was not a balanced diet, and intended for supplemental use only.

This is straight off their website now:

very disappointing. And the price went up to almost 3 bucks a can.

Yeah thanks, I looked it up after asking and posted it in the ingredients thread. Well at least Tripett is only water tripe, and garlic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
we use tripett and my little guy likes the venison tripe. honestly coming from a latin american household...the canned stuff stinks WAAAAAAYYY less than the raw tripe you have to clean and then boil in order to make menudo...or the intestines you clean for chitlins or tripas, LOL! ;)

i only use it as a topping for oz's food maybe a few times of month.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts