Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's funny, your argument with RFD about Vit. C and how it works for you is kinda like my argument about tripe and how it works for my dogs.:eek: It's really kinda ironic.....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It's funny, your argument with RFD about Vit. C and how it works for you is kinda like my argument about tripe and how it works for my dogs.:eek: It's really kinda ironic.....
Hardly :rolleyes:

Akasha's puppy warts got increasingly worse over the course of a couple of months. They showed 0 sign of letting up. The only got worse and started going into her throat.

Within 2 days of giving Vit C they started clearing up and within the week they were completely gone

Can you give a testimonial about tripe that come close? I doubt it. If so I'd REALLY LOVE to hear what tripe does for your dogs

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't saying anything negative about your argument, why the pissed off post?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say you really have taken me aback by your post, I find it ironic that danemama and corgipaws are arguing about something they believe to be true and working to RFD who is very pig headed and close minded.
I also believe he is close minded to the fact that tripe is and does a dog many benefits by adding to a raw diet, just because he choses not to feed it himself does not mean it isn't a good thing.
And shame on you Jon for attacking me when it wasn't warranted.

Reactions: Christine_72

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I wasn't saying anything negative about your argument, why the pissed off post?
Not pissed off....

Keep in mind that I side with RFD and many others about tripe. It's just another food source. (please bring me something if you feel it's more than that)

We have evidence from multiple people that Vit C helps clear up puppy warts

There's 0 evidence that tripe is anything but another food source

Just want to clear that up :wink:

This was FAR from an attack.

And please don't even go there. Aside from RFD I think I've been the brunt of the most unwarranted attacks on this forum.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be another food source but the dogs definitely don't need to eat grass like before and my female who has the luxating patella, along with the tripe/trach-full of guclosimine and swim therapy once a week hasn't luxated since last Aug. I really don't think it's a coincidence since she plays just as hard as before with the dogs.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Let's keep it friendly. And free of name calling, it's really not necessary.
And perhaps even on topic! lol.
If you'd like to debate tripe... again... take it to the raw section.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I see no attack but rather a "please tell me the benefits or case studies for doing this?" An attack would have been calling you a name or being outright disrespectful to you directly.

The reason why I don't feed green tripe is that I personally don't see the need. And I don't want to deal with the mess and the cost.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Do you feed it? If so, why?

I don't feed it. I think it's overpriced for what it is. There's lots of other food sources I'd rather spend my $$ on.
I don't feed it because I would rather put my cash elsewhere, like buying beef or goat muscle meat, which is more species appropriate. Tripe is more expensive than it's worth, in my opinion.

That being said, if some were just given to me, I wouldn't hesitate to feed it. I also don't see anything particularly *wrong* with feeding it. I just don't think it's the crazy miracle worker that they're made out to be, but I think if you're feeding it with good results, you don't mind spending the cash, and you're comfortable with it... who am I to tell you not to?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll post later, dog swim therapy class.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
That being said, if some were just given to me, I wouldn't hesitate to feed it. I also don't see anything particularly *wrong* with feeding it. I just don't think it's the crazy miricle worker that they're made out to be, but I think if you're feeding it with good results, you don't mind spending the cash, and you're comfortable with it... who am I to tell you not to?
I'd feed it if I got it for free

Will I ever seek it out to feed? No

I agree Linsey, I don't see how it's the miracle food some people believe it to be. All I ever hear is "my dog does great on it" or "it works great for my dog".

All fine but how does your dog do on a balanced raw diet without it?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I agree Linsey, I don't see how it's the miracle food some people believe it to be. All I ever hear is "my dog does great on it" or "it works great for my dog".

All fine but how does your dog do on a balanced raw diet without it?
I think that the argument used in favor of tripe is a lot like the arguments used for cheap kibbles. "My dog does great on it."

I'm not saying that tripe is awful- by any means. Nor am I comparing its quality to cheap kibble. I'm just saying that I don't think it's necessary, and that the arguments in favor of it seem to be weak. I just don't see the miracles, so I leave it out... mostly because it makes sense to me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what do you think is expensive? I pay $1.60-1.75 a lb and get it in a 40 lb case, I paid $1.40 a lb for the best looking beef from our group I've seen in a long time, now it's gone up to a $1.60 a lb, $2.00 for llama, I guess it's all what your willing to spend on your dogs cause remember when you were feeding a quality kibble how much were you spending a lb? I don't think you can say a negative thing about tripe until you have fed it for 3-4 months ,so I don't want to hear any more of this crap until you have honest to goodness tried it for yourself and not just heresay!

Reactions: Christine_72

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
So what do you think is expensive? I pay $1.60-1.75 a lb and get it in a 40 lb case, I paid $1.40 a lb for the best looking beef from our group I've seen in a long time, now it's gone up to a $1.60 a lb, $2.00 for llama, I guess it's all what your willing to spend on your dogs cause remember when you were feeding a quality kibble how much were you spending a lb? I don't think you can say a negative thing about tripe until you have fed it for 3-4 months ,so I don't want to hear any more of this crap until you have honest to goodness tried it for yourself and not just heresay!
But what are some of the noticeable changes you have seen in your dogs that you KNOW for certain came from the tripe and only the tripe?

Just like with switching to raw in the first place...I need to hear why it is that I *should* try tripe? Does that make sense?

And I really don't think its how much I am willing to spend on my dogs...its how much I can afford to give to my dogs. Those are two completely different things. When I was feeding quality kibble I didn't have near this many dogs to feed, and yes it was pricey and now I can afford to do a lot more for them in other ways.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So what do you think is expensive? I pay $1.60-1.75 a lb and get it in a 40 lb case, I paid $1.40 a lb for the best looking beef from our group I've seen in a long time, now it's gone up to a $1.60 a lb, $2.00 for llama,
The ONLY meat we pay over $1 for is game meat. Even beef heart only runs us ~$0.80/lb

Why would I pay double that for partially digested weeds & grass?

I guess it's all what your willing to spend on your dogs cause remember when you were feeding a quality kibble how much were you spending a lb?
I've never fed kibble. I've always fed a balanced PMR diet

I don't think you can say a negative thing about tripe until you have fed it for 3-4 months ,so I don't want to hear any more of this crap until you have honest to goodness tried it for yourself and not just heresay!
I haven't said anything negative about it. I have simply stated I don't believe it's the miracle food some people do.

Please tell me what's so good about it?

What benefits are you seeing from feeding it at such a high cost?

Have you fed a BALANCED PMR diet without it and seen different results? If so, what changed?

I could add dirt to my dogs diet and say "unless you've fed it for 3-4 months, don't knock it".... doesn't really prove anything to me. Give me something concrete, something tangible.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
So what do you think is expensive? I pay $1.60-1.75 a lb and get it in a 40 lb case, I paid $1.40 a lb for the best looking beef from our group I've seen in a long time
It's expensive for what you get. I would pay that for beef. I would pay that for goat. Heck, I'd pay that for llama. I would NOT pay that for partially digested grass and weeds. No one said it's the most awful thing ever, we just said that for the money, it's not worth it, because feeding a balanced raw diet, we have no need for said miracle worker.

I guess it's all what your willing to spend on your dogs
Um, actually it has nothing to do with that we're willing to spend on our dogs and statements like this imply that you're willing to do more for your dogs than we are ours, and I find that quite rude to be honest. I do not feed tripe because I see no need for it, and therefore prefer to put my money elsewhere. If I saw a need for it, I would absolutely have no problem including it. Because I am willing to pay for superior nutrition for my pets- I just don't feel tripe falls in that category. And quite frankly, you have yet to actually give me a reason to think otherwise.

I don't think you can say a negative thing about tripe until you have fed it for 3-4 months
I won't be feeding tripe until I can see a positive reason to do so. Again, NO ONE is saying it's a bad thing to feed, just unnecessary. HUGE difference, so I don't see why you're getting so defensive over it.

so I don't want to hear any more of this crap until you have honest to goodness tried it for yourself and not just heresay!
That crap is my opinion, which I am entitled to. Dogs have NO NUTRITIONAL NEED for grass- partially digested or otherwise. That is enough for me to know that tripe is not a necessary part of a proper diet for a carnivore.
I have honest to goodness fed a properly balanced raw diet free of tripe and have been satistied with the results. That gives me just as much of a right as YOU to discuss tripe and if it's called for or not. We can agree to disagree, I'm sure, but don't tell me I have no room to talk. :wink:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Here's one reason I think it's not necessary and not a "miracle food"

"Wolves usually tear into the body cavity of large prey and...consume the larger internal organs, such as lungs, heart, and liver. The large rumen [, which is one of the main stomach chambers in large ruminant herbivores,]...is usually punctured during removal and its contents spilled. The vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to the wolves, but the stomach lining and intestinal wall are consumed, and their contents further strewn about the kill site." (pg.123, emphasis added)

"To grow and maintain their own bodies, wolves need to ingest all the major parts of their herbivorous prey, except the plants in the digestive system." (pg.124, emphasis added).

These quotes are taken from chapter 4, The Wolf as a Carnivore.
"The wolf's diet consists mostly of muscle meat and fatty tissue from various animals. Heart, lung, liver, and other internal organs are eaten. Bones are crushed to get at the marrow, and bone fragments are eaten as well. Even hair and skin are sometimes consumed. The only part consistently ignored is the stomach and its contents. Although some vegetable matter is taken separately, particularly berries, Canis lupus doesn't seem to digest them very well."

This quote can be found on the Hunting and Meals page at Kerwood Wildlife Education Center.
http://www.kerwoodwildlife.com/HUNTING&MEALTIME.htm
When wolves catch and kill a large mammal, they will gorge and then rest while the food is being rapidly digested. They will generally consume all but the hide, some of the large bones and skull and the rumen (stomach contents of ungulates) of their prey
International Wolf Center Learn - Frequently Asked Questions about Wolves

They'd eat it naturally if it was something they'd benefit from

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
This makes me think back to those pictures you took Natalie (I think it was you...??) of that deer kill where everything was gone EXCEPT the stomach, intestines and one leg bone. Does anyone else remember those pictures? :wink:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
1 - 20 of 98 Posts