Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about treats and some other foods when feeding raw. I was wondering if some things that we used to feed him when he was on dog food are still ok as treats. I know that the dog biscuits are probably not a good idea but we used to feed him cheese and peanut butter. On a rare occasion we would even give him a small ice cream cone from DQ. Are these still ok?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
A treat is a treat. Just a tiny part of the diet. I see no problem with having treats every once in awhile. Just keep it as a very small part of the diet, like 5% or less. A few bites of any treat isn't going to do any harm.

Just be careful with training treats, etc. as those can add up over time to a much larger part of the diet than you might imagine.

L

·
0 Posts
...... we used to feed him cheese and peanut butter. On a rare occasion we would even give him a small ice cream cone from DQ. Are these still ok? Thanks!!
How about Frosty Paws, the frozen dessert created especially for dogs, rather than ice cream from DQ? I'm not sure but I think some dogs cannot tolerate a lot of dairy. My dogs enjoy peanut butter Frosty Paws as an occasional treat on hot days!

·
Registered
441 Posts
The boys will get kibbles for treats. Because it is such a small amount for a whole day and not given often, there is nothing wrong with it. Now, I do use Wellness and other grain free kibble, but they don't even notice the difference. :rolleyes:

I also add in other types of treats, like dehydrated meats and sometimes veggies just to mix it up a little and keep the amounts small. The boys also know what peanut butter is, and I can't eat a PB sandwich without them trying to sneak a taste, or trying to give the 'look at me, I'm so cute' look! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts