Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all use for training treats for your raw-fed dogs? I have been using some baked liver treats I made in the oven, they are just pain beef liver baked for like.. ever- until they are dry. I also got some chicken breasts that are dehydrated that I break up.

I work and I give her a kong every time she goes in her crate when I got to work. I like to put these bits in the kong and also peanut butter or applesauce. Or she gets a bit of a frozen chicken tender or a piece of celery or apple.

Any other ideas? The dehydrated chix was $4 for a small bag... a bit pricey I think. But I could probably make this myself, I think my brother has a dehydrator.:biggrin:

Just wondering. Oak is still learning, and she is only food motivated at times. So treats are a necessity.

She will also be going to doggie daycare soon, I think I might tell them shes allergic to grains so they dont give her any cruddy treats.:cool:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I tried the baked liver and kidney thing and while they kind of liked them (some days they did and some days they didn't) everybody in my household has a fit when I stink the place up making these treats. As you said, it takes awhile to dry the meat out and that whole time it puts out an odor that can wake a dead man.

I recently migrated to Red Barn Bully Nuggets for training (which I believe are freeze dried beef lung) and EVO no-grain baked treats for an occasional snack for them. The EVO biscuits are 47% protein so they are very rich. They are mostly meat and meat meal and the filler is potato. There are some "fruits and nuts" in there too but the amount is small and I don't feed these often enough for it to concern me.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I use little cheese cubes, or hot dog bits but treats are a rareity in my house, so less convenient options are fine on the off chance we actually give them a treat.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The best treats I've found are Free Range Baa. It is dried lamb lung. A big bag costs me $20 but I can break it into really tiny pieces and it lasts me forever. I train Rocky with the smallest pieces possible so that I keep his attention. Every dog that I meet and give a piece to goes crazy over it. Merrick also makes it and calls it Baa Baa. It keeps a long time with no preservatives and no extra ingredients except the lamb lung.

I also use Evo treats but that is just for a 'bedtime' cookie :)

L

·
0 Posts
I love Stella & Chewy's Carnivore Kisses and Carnivore Krunch. These are freeze-dried raw nuggets. In chicken, beef, or duck flavor. My dogs go nuts for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts