Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use? I was thinking about dehydrating some organ meats or something. Hare Today sells dehydrated rabbit ears and feet and I noticed a lot of other raw feeders use chicken or duck feet. Three of my dogs loooove carrots so, even though I don't use vegetables as a regular part of their diet, I will toss those three a piece of carrot to munch on once in a while. What are some other good treat ideas?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We don't really do treats other than training treats. We try and find the best quality training treats, but ultimately we aren't that worried about something that makes up maybe 2% of their diet. We do get different meat jerkies to give the girls as their treats, but that's about it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
bestbullysticks.com has some great raw friendly treats.

Dogitos are a favorite here - they are dehydrated goat, lamb, or beef lungs. Nothing else added. They also have gator bites which are dehydrated alligator. Dried ostrich is good too. Just look for a meat that has been dehydrated, no additives. They have a great selection.

Dehydrated rabbit ears are a HUGE hit around here.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmmm, it all sounds so appetizing! Hehe. I will try bestbullysticks.com for some of this stuff. I heard they have pretty reasonable prices, which is important with five hungry mouths! Thanks for the ideas, all!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I use dried liver (microwaved at home) as a high value training treat, and roast gammon and chicken are also well received.

But the only treats that becka gets are for training purposes. She get beef rib bones as something tasty to chew on during the time I'm not there.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Right now I have home made beef liver jerky in the freezer and store bought dried beef lung in the pantry. The lung can be used in a kong and the jerky can be easily cut for training treats.

I also have home made dried tendons and raw ostrich joints complete with huge tendons for chewies.

The dogs still get pizza bones, bits of my meat and veggies for treats too. I use lunch meat and hot dogs for training treats on occasion but am out at the moment so poor Max gets his dinner meat cooked at training time.

The dogs used to love dried ears but the raw ones I found were not a hit. Cost too much and didn't last long enough. Great idea though. Will not pass by a good deal on them anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My house is like the House of Treats, but that's mainly because I work at a pet food store so I have access to lots of treats, plus I have 2 puppies so there's always training going on.

Currently in the house we have Real Meat venison and fish (just finished the bag of beef), Salmon Strips, Grizzly Salmon, Uncle Larry's lamb liver, Zukes Salmon flavor treats (they also make chicken and peanut butter flavors), Sojo's cookies, Zukes venison filet, Merrick turkey patties, bully sticks, chicken feet, Texas Toothpicks (they are the ends of tails, no fur), Red Barn chicken and liver flavor, lamb marrow bones (in the freezer), and Nature's Logic venison flavor treats (these are hard, similar to kibble in texture).

Wow, we have a lot of treats! :tongue: I just brought home a few of those today, some others are almost gone. Some are training type treats, others, like bully sticks and Texas Toothpicks, are to keep them busy and give them something to chew on.

Generally I like to find treats that are all or almost all meat. Real Meat brand has some good ones, and Uncle Larry's is one of my favorites. They're only meat, nothing else, and are freeze dried. I'm not sure how readily available the are. They're made locally, like practically down the street from me, and are not from a big company. I'm pretty sure it's just Uncle Larry and maybe a couple helpers.

Jerky makes a great treat and is pretty easy to make. I keep meaning to make some but I never seem to have the time. Red Barn is a nice one for training because you can pinch off just what you need. A lot of agility trainers use Red Barn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts