Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup loooooooves the treadmill. She sees me running on it and lately...she runs on it.

I'm glad she likes it since she is a sibe...and we all know how much sibe's like to run. But is there any health hazard to them? She'll go a good 15-20 minutes and will just jump off when shes done.

She's been happier and a lot more tired, which makes me happier haha.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't see why there would be a problem if she can freely get off the treadmill and its not going fast enough she could hurt herself jumping off. I have 2 jack russells that LOVE to run, luckily for them I am training to run in a marathon. If I run 14 miles, I take one 7 miles and then take the other 7 miles. They LOVE IT!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow, I wish my dogs like treadmills, but they're terrified of them. Lucky you for having a dog that can spot an opportunity to get some extra energy out in a convenient manner!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know! My golden retriever swore the treadmill was out to get her hahaa. But not the husky...she loves it...she'll just go sit on it when she wants it on. Does make me lazier though...since I used to go out and run for long period with her. We just have long walks now, then she treadmills. Yay for me!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nope nothing wrong with them they can be good to get out excess energy however be careful putting your dog on a treadmill without an RX from the vet is illegal in some states due to them being dog fighting periphenalia (dog fighting rings use them to build stamina) so just be careful depending on where you live.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh wow...darn them dog fighters. thanks for the info!! I had absolutely no idea.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Oh yeah, they ruin it for everyone! Of course since you have a baby husky as opposed to a pit bull, it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal, but sometimes just having one and using it for your dog is crime enough (ridiculous, I know). Especially since dog treadmills usually resemble some homemade wood shop project with tacked on, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really do feel bad for pitbulls and their owners. A friend of mine has a beautiful blue nose pit. The dog is gorgeous and the biggest teddy bear alive...but we get endless looks when we take our pups to the park. One guy actually had the nerve to tell us that we shouldn't bring our pit out in public. Of course I went off on him about how not all pits are that way, and that all pits should not be punished because many have met horrible owners. Its the people thats evil, but its so much easier to blame the dog.

GRRR TO ALL DOG FIGHTERS.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Amen to that! There was a guy walking his pit on campus, so I walked up to it, pet her face and told her she was beautiful, then walked on with my friend who looked at me in horror, jaws agape, and said "How could you do that? It's like sticking your hand's into a crocodile's mouth!" I went off on her too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally wanted a pit for my next dog...and I'm ashamed to admit that the main reason I have not adopted one yet is because the way society sees them. Let alone my insurance company would have a cow. Theres sooo many pits that need a home, and this negative rep that humans created is stopping them from finding homes.

L

·
0 Posts
Personally I would leave the treadmill and long walks until the pup gets older (over a year) and growth starts slowing. Play with her in your yard to tire her out, take her for short walks to introduce basic leash walking, but I personally wouldn't let a growing pup near a treadmill until 18 months of age.

Z

·
0 Posts
Pits and People

While I am always cautious with dogs I don't know, pit bulls are notorious for being very people friendly.

It's the fact that they were bred specifically to fight and kill other dogs that makes them a wee bit of a problem.

Z

·
0 Posts
Treadmills

Good point about the dog fighting! I can just imagine some of my elderly clients being raided. LOL! I really did have to giggle at that.

Age is also important too, so check with your vet. You usually don't run with your dog until they are a year old but it depends on the breed. So many people think dogs are adults at a year.

Not so. They mature at different rates.

small dogs at 1 year
medium dogs at 2 years
large dogs 3 years
giant dogs 3 to 4 years

As long as you don't attach your dog to the treadmill I think you are ok. A very famous trainer is being sued for doing that!

What is that very fancy catalog..Hemmicher Sclemmer? Or something like that? They once advertised a double wide treadmill and the picture was of a woman and her Golden on it.

I tell people I live in a very fancy neighborhood with built in treadmills. They are called sidewalks!

And don't forget there are many ways to tire a dog out. Mental stimulation is great.

I can go on a hike or do my taxes. Either way I am beat at the end of the day.

Even basic obedience wears a dog out. Tricks are fun. I like games like hiding treats or myself.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Personally I would leave the treadmill and long walks until the pup gets older (over a year) and growth starts slowing. Play with her in your yard to tire her out, take her for short walks to introduce basic leash walking, but I personally wouldn't let a growing pup near a treadmill until 18 months of age.

Oops missed the dog's age, yeah you shouldn't do too much structured walks, etc until the skeleton is done growing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to my vet and a sibe trainer I know and they both said about 15 minutes a day is fine for her. Especially since sibe's are runners, they have excess energy. The trainer actually told me she recommends the treadmill for working dogs but not others at such a young age.

Who knows. I let her go at it for about 10 minutes...then I deal with the whining after I turn it off. =) Even with that, she doesn't really get tired. We play about 2 hours after I get back from work. My brother takes her to the park during the day on most days, she never runs out of energy.

Funny how dogs are, my golden will play for 45 minutes and start panting haha.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Oh yes those sibes are full of energy! I always remind people of that when their mentality towards them is "Oooh pretty, I want one to put in my house for decoration!"
My lab/pit mix, Pennywise, used to be, so I got her a younger, sturdy companion, Joey, to tire her out. Well she's good and tired all the time and Joey is the one who needs someone to tire him out (despite his morning run and afternoon playing every day). Luckily, we have someone moving in with us who has a 5 month old border collie/pointer puppy. That should do the trick!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lucky you!! i have a sibe and a cat living with me...my ex bf took our golden. We meet to give the pups playtime...but of course its not every day. I gotta tire out the sibe on my own...and oh lordie...im losing weight keeping up with her haha.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Well if you're ever in Reno, feel free to hit me up! My backyard is about an acre, fenced, with trees, a sandbox, and several places for doggies to escape the heat.

In the mean time, you could always post on craigslist to find other sibes or active breeds in your area and start a play group.

I agree though, when you have active dogs and take care of them properly, it's hard to stay overweight for long! I've lost at least 20 lbs since I got Joey and started running him and Pennywise for at least two miles four days a week, and Kati (my old dog) about 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile also four days a week. I usually throw a visit to the dog park in there too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While I am always cautious with dogs I don't know, pit bulls are notorious for being very people friendly.

It's the fact that they were bred specifically to fight and kill other dogs that makes them a wee bit of a problem.
There is no such breed as a "pit bull". There are twenty plus breeds that are collectively called "pit bulls".
But as far as the actual American Pit Bull Terrier goes, they were not bred to kill other dogs nor were they breed to fight them. They were bred for bull baiting; just like boxers, bull terriers, bulldogs, and the like. Once bull baiting was banded, stupid people started pitting the dogs against each other.
On the dog aggression issue, I have seen far more dog aggressive poodles, cockers, and retrievers.
Jaeger (one of my APBTs) has been attacked by 4 golden retrievers, 2 std poodles, a cockapoo, a vizla, 2 labs, a labradoodle, a newfie, and several other dogs. Never another "pit bull".
In fact Hennessy (another one of my APBTs) was attacked by a poodle in agility class last week. I had to pick up Hennessy and kick the poodle to get it off of him. It bit him 6 or 7 times in the hind quarters and got his once on the muzzle.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There is no such breed as a "pit bull". There are twenty plus breeds that are collectively called "pit bulls".
But as far as the actual American Pit Bull Terrier goes, they were not bred to kill other dogs nor were they breed to fight them. They were bred for bull baiting; just like boxers, bull terriers, bulldogs, and the like. Once bull baiting was banded, stupid people started pitting the dogs against each other.
On the dog aggression issue, I have seen far more dog aggressive poodles, cockers, and retrievers.
Jaeger (one of my APBTs) has been attacked by 4 golden retrievers, 2 std poodles, a cockapoo, a vizla, 2 labs, a labradoodle, a newfie, and several other dogs. Never another "pit bull".
In fact Hennessy (another one of my APBTs) was attacked by a poodle in agility class last week. I had to pick up Hennessy and kick the poodle to get it off of him. It bit him 6 or 7 times in the hind quarters and got his once on the muzzle.

Just curious but don't you find it odd that the same dog has been "attacked" by over 12 different dogs??? I've owned 3 dogs of my own and none of them have ever been attacked by another dog over the course of 7 years. I find it odd that one dog would end up with over 12 dogs "attacking" them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts