Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to switch my 11 month old APBT from EVO to the raw feeding pray model and am wondering if I use a lot of training treats, what do people feeding raw like to use. I don't want the treats to cause digestive problems or detract from the benefits of raw diets.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I use hot dogs or pieces of Evo (or any other kind I get at my local pet food specialty store as a free sample) kibble as training treats actually. Now that I think about it, getting those trial-sized bags of Orijen might be a great, cheap way to get a lot of training treats. If I can find a really good deal on decent quality dog biscuits I'll use those too.

I figure, not everything I put in my mouth is healthy, so it's ok for my dogs to have a real treat every now and then too :smile:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I either still feed the occasional biscuit or I really like the Lamb or Beef training treats made by Merrick. They are dehydrated lung pieces that are good for training treats, especially for a dog on a raw diet. I don't worry too much about what treats I give, since they don't make up a huge part of my dogs diet. But like rannmiller said, high quality kibble is a great thing to use especially if you are doing lots of training.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll keep some of the evo around before making the switch to use the kibble. I also just had the idea of cutting sardines into small pieces, so he will get fish in his diet from the treats.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep some of the evo around before making the switch to use the kibble. I also just had the idea of cutting sardines into small pieces, so he will get fish in his diet from the treats.
Yikes...that sounds messy LOL! If you want to give fresh fish as treats I would get smelt or something really similar since they are small and a great size to give as treats. You can find these types of fish at an Asian market for pretty darn cheap if you know of one close by.

You could also try dehydrating them or drying them.

You could also find a fish based treat. The ones that we use are very regularly on major sale on this website, so keep an eye out:

OMEGA Treats from King Wholesale Pet Supplies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts