Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my order from the wholesaler. It's like Xmas. Anyway, Cali will get some duck necks this time! :smile: But my question is...

The wholesaler had some trachea. I bought a few lbs. Now that I look at it, it looks like what it is--a windpipe. (Yuck.) Not much, if any meat on it. How do I use it? Is is considered a RMB? TIA!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just picked up my order from the wholesaler. It's like Xmas. Anyway, Cali will get some duck necks this time! :smile: But my question is...

The wholesaler had some trachea. I bought a few lbs. Now that I look at it, it looks like what it is--a windpipe. (Yuck.) Not much, if any meat on it. How do I use it? Is is considered a RMB? TIA!
I use them as a chew treat. All of the dogs I have given them to have LOVED them. Plus they are full of nutrients. I am hoping to get some soon from the bucher just down the street. :) Along with tongues and other parts that they wouldn't usually sell to the public. Heres hoping they don't think I some kind of a witch or something, making toadstool soup in the dark basement. :biggrin:
Anyway, I haven't had any problems with them, but like anything, be sure that your dog is ok with eating it before you leave him alone with anything like that. You will always run a risk of a dog not being able to figure out how they are supposed to eat new things. Just watch for a little while, they should be fine tho! :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
They are not considered a RMB, at least not in my book. Just a chew treat that some people use. I personally haven't used them...not because I think they are bad or anything but just that I haven't gotten any. They look weird to me LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are not considered a RMB, at least not in my book. Just a chew treat that some people use. I personally haven't used them...not because I think they are bad or anything but just that I haven't gotten any. They look weird to me LOL
Weird? Totally! And very much gross, IMO. But there they were so I thought I would dump it in the take-home box! Thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Now, I've never seen any direct from a butcher...the only one's I've come across are the seemingly cooked ones at the pet stores that are stiff and look like they've gone through a windpipe mold while drying. lol My question is do they look like that? Are they dry and stiff or floppy? I know...weird question. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
They're definitely more soft when they're raw than the smoked/cooked ones you see in pet stores, but they look like that! I chopped some off of some cow lungs today, they're slightly tough to cut through but not too bad. I hear they're good as a hip and joint supplement since they're filled with chondroitin or something like that. They're a good chew/snack but not a good meal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The last two deer my brother-in-law killed this year, he gave to us. The whole deer! Lots of that meat went straight to the dogs as soon as it was cut off the deer, including the trachea. Got sucked up like a spaghetti noodle! They loved them, and couldn't get any fresher-killed about two hrs earlier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts