Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Powdered Cellulose (saw dust), Peanut Hulls , i just saw the most disgusting recipe for a food that I ever saw except for that of OL Roy. What made this one twice as disgusting is that it was diagnosed by a vet. :mad: Ingredients as follows : Ground whole Grain Corn, powdered cellulose 15% (source of fiber) Chicken by Product meal, Soybean Meal, Peanut Hulls 11% (source of fiber) Chicken Liver Flavour, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product (aka egg shells) Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Oil Preserved by BHT,BHA and ethoxyquin.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yep, sounds about right. That's what my poor 11 year old lab/shepherd was on for 8 years before we finally realized it's absolute crap and that's probably why the poor dog was falling apart. She's better now that she's on raw though!

It's amazing how "modern medicine" really messes things up sometimes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep, sounds about right. That's what my poor 11 year old lab/shepherd was on for 8 years before we finally realized it's absolute crap and that's probably why the poor dog was falling apart. She's better now that she's on raw though!

It's amazing how "modern medicine" really messes things up sometimes.
Just my opinion but I think it is highly unethical for vets to be able to sell food in their practices. Obviously they are not thinking of the welfare of the animal when they prescribe this stuff. There is a conflict of interest when the dog will be coming back with other ailments because his food is of the lowest quality. And guess who is making money on medicines it will take to make him feel better. Why do they sell a food that has known carcinogens?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree! Couldn't have said it better myself! I know a guy who has an obese cat with diabetes on Hills Prescription food because his God awful vets insist it's for the best. Maybe if he a) didn't feed the cat crap to begin with and b) tried feeding it like a cat (meat based diet) the poor thing wouldn't be so fat and miserable. This man LOVES his cats and I feel like the vets are killing them slowly just to drain him of his money, and he does it because they tell him it's for the best? That's just sick and wrong IMO

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know SOME vets that honestly believe SD and Hills are the absolute best foods available. They are trained in vet school (coincedently SD sponsors) that SD has the best nutrition. I think they only have one nutrition class in vet school and it's sponsored and taught by SD representatives. I really wish vets would educate their clients on nutrition, but I guess they would have to first educate themselves.

It's frustrating too because I have 2 different very good friends that take great care of their pets and will ONLY listen to their vet. One has a lab that's 7yrs old and has a "mysterious" illness. Went through tons of testing and found nothing explainable. They have always fed Nuto because the "breeder" recommended it. The dog also gets very, very sick after her yearly shots and of course they keep doing ALL the shots every year. I gently suggested trying to switch to a higher quality food to see if it would help and sent some info on shots, but they insist their vet know best. The other friend's dog is a huge mess (constant ear infections, skin infections.etc) also had a "mystery" illness several years ago. They spent way over 5k in one shot on testing and a long hospital stay. The poor little dog literally has one foot in the grave and she's been eating Hill's her whole life because the vet is trying to fix her. Ha-ha, I just remembered my two friends have the same vet!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Sounds about right. The vet industry (because that's what it is) is disgusting sometimes. I was recommended a vet who's supposed to be amazing this weekend, I have yet to find one I truly love who isn't way too pricey or might retire at any moment.

And I hate it when people think their breeder knows best because usually their breeder knows who gives them the best deals on dog food. It doesn't take a whole lot to get two dogs to procreate unless they're one of those difficult breeds like bulldogs (poor bulldogs). And most of the bulldog breeders I've talked to feed Canidae and know at least a little bit about nutrition. Hmmm, coincidence? There seems to be a connection between the more effort one has to put into advancing a breed and their knowledge of nutrition.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Very interesting article. My vet always asks what we're feeding our dogs, but has never made a "recommendation", though they do offer some (crap) for sale there. I found it slightly discouraging that when I told the vet assistant what I feed them, she said "I've never heard of that one". :confused:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've noticed almost anyone who works in a veterinary clinic besides the vets themselves (still with many exceptions), don't know a lot about pet food besides the mainstream brands. One of the most popular vet clinics in Reno has never heard of Blue Buffalo. I know they're fairly new but I wouldn't exactly call them underground either.

That was a good article, it makes me want to move to Europe.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I guess I'm pretty fortunate to live where I do, people in Bellingham have been doing the organic, real food thing for probably 15-20 yrs. When I just recently told my vet that I was feeding my dogs a raw diet, he didn't bat an eye, I even had to take one of them in today because she is a gulper, and as many times as she has been able to puke up the turkey neck with no problem, today took alot longer, so I took her in to have her looked at to make sure there wasn't any damage to her throat. No lectures, just maybe she shouldn't have turkey necks if she likes to swallow them instead of chewing completely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know SOME vets that honestly believe SD and Hills are the absolute best foods available. They are trained in vet school (coincedently SD sponsors) that SD has the best nutrition. I think they only have one nutrition class in vet school and it's sponsored and taught by SD representatives. I really wish vets would educate their clients on nutrition, but I guess they would have to first educate themselves.
This is so true. Its just like a lot of the physicians............they don't know anything about nutrition....just drugs. There's no training or very very little in med school. Lots of vets where I live carry Science Diet. I guess they just don't know any better:rolleyes:

·
Banned
620 Posts
I would put tomato pomace in the top 5. Cheap by-product of canning industry leftovers. A lot of skin so plenty of potential for pesticides and it is very acidic.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh My God!!!! I went to the vets w/my dogs and the vet and I started talking about nutrition and I knew more than he did and I'm a beginner on this site and subject. I was so amazed at how little he did know. Wow! They should never recommend anything until they're educated about the subject in its entirety!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts