Dog Food Chat banner

361 - 380 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Even knowing the percentage of "meat" you cannot tell where the protein comes from. I guarantee more of it is coming from plant sources than Champion would be happy to admit. Now, from a nutritional pov (vs. marketing), there's really nothing wrong with that. Purina's Sport line combines meat protein with corn gluten (concentrated plant protein) but no matter how many champions eat it, it's derided as "crap." As the CEO of Blue Buffalo has notoriously suggested, there's a lot of "smoke and mirrors" in the pet food industry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nothing wrong with asking questions about dog food, that's what we're here for after all! I wouldn't get too hung up on percentages though. Its all marketing crap in the end anyway. I mean there is no ideal meat protein percentage that is perfect for dogs. Who is to say 95% meat protein or whatever is best?

I kept looking for foods with the highest meat protein percentage until I finally asked myself "why?" I've fed my dog PMR in the past, nothing but meat organs and bones. I've never seen her so unhealthy in my life, and this dog has been on Beneful and Kibbles N Bits in the past. My dog does just fine , if not better with some veggies and fruit in her diet. The thought that there is a "best" dog food is.... silly to put it lightly.

Lot of people on various dog forums bash Champion now because their meat content isn't as high as other brands. I don't care. No matter how many dog foods I try I always run back to Orijen. Maybe they have more plant protein than others. Why should I care when my dog does her best on Orijen? If she is this healthy on it and always experiences a drop in her overall conditon on other foods, I think its the best food for my dog. Her body doesn't seem to care about Dr. Tim's 90 something percent meat protein. That's what matters most to me.. how my dog does on it. I put her through hell trying to find a "better" food for her when I had already found the best for her a long time ago.

·
Registered
47 Posts
FYI - Of the dog foods listed above by Dogstar and Lioness - NONE of them are on BarkPost's list of 15 companies without a recall. THAT list is as follows:
Fromm
Life's Abundance
Earthborn Holist
Zignature
Holistic Select
Eagle Pack
Nature's Logic
Precise Holistic
Canine Caviar
VeRus
Annamaet
Nature's Recipe
Now Fresh
Back to Basics
Blackwood

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
FYI - Of the dog foods listed above by Dogstar and Lioness - NONE of them are on BarkPost's list of 15 companies without a recall. THAT list is as follows:
Fromm
Life's Abundance
Earthborn Holist
Zignature
Holistic Select
Eagle Pack
Nature's Logic
Precise Holistic
Canine Caviar
VeRus
Annamaet
Nature's Recipe
Now Fresh
Back to Basics
Blackwood
Fromm had a very recent recall. Pretty sure that Annamaet, Dr Tim's and Brothers have not had any.

That said, there's no problem with a recall; it's a good thing. It's the "why" and "frequency" that is the problem, plus how they handle it that is very important.

·
Registered
47 Posts
True about the recall thing to a point. If it was discovered internally, GREAT! But if it was discovered by a consumer, not great.
BTW - Fromm's recall was on their canned food. I should have been more specific with my list - those are the 15 companies who've never had a dry food recall. Incidentally, in 20+ years of business and product reformulation/improvement, VeRus has NEVER had a recall on ANY food - wet or dry, dog or cat.
Thanks for the input, Marie!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Marie, good point. And I am only referencing one source - the BarkPost list. I DO think people need to check with the manufacturer or do more research when choosing a food. I chose VeRus for my own reasons but I never would have found them if not for the aforementioned list.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well, you said in the second post that those were the 15 foods that haven't had a recall.
People reading may think that is the truth

·
Registered
19 Posts
Orijen
Acana
Zignature
Ziwi Peak
Fromm Gold star

361 - 380 of 403 Posts