Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my five year old Standard Poodle on raw for almost a week now. She has had absolutely no problems whatsoever with it. Stools are fine, no digestive trouble at all. However she was a bit too thin to begin with and seems to have lost some more weight. I know that for the first two weeks she should be eating only chicken but since she has not been having any problems is it ok to go ahead and try another protein source? She has been eating chicken quarters. I haven't been able to find any boneless chicken so far and I'm worried that feeding her an additional quarter, back or turkey neck would be too much bone.

Thanks in Advance,
Melissa

·
Registered
148 Posts
Glad to hear that she is transitioning without difficulty. Maybe try de-boning an additional thigh for her at each meal.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Don't worry about too much bone right now. We can get the diet better balanced in a month or so. Right now we are trying to get her adjusted to digesting real food without digestive upset. All this adjusting is a process. Don't try to rush the process. When you do, you often end up with problems all of a sudden and you have to back up to square one again. As long as her stools don't come out of he shoot white and powdery don't worry about bone at this stage. If they turn white and powdery after several hours, its ok.

Just keep going llike you are. Chicken only another week. Then you might introduce turkey necks or wings. Feed 3 or 4 meals of turkey that week. Then next week introduce something like pork. Feed pork a couple of times that week. Continue on by introducing something else each week until you run out of something elses. :smile:

Don't get in a hurry. She has many years to eat a raw diet. Introducing it slowly won't make any difference in the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts