Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think two chicken leg quarters (one am and one pm) is too much for my standard poodle boy? He's on the smallish side for a spoo, he's 40lbs at 10 months.

He was emaciated when we rescued him (22lbs at about 19" tall).

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
No, I don't think that is too much. Just keep an eye on his body condition. If he starts to gain a bit of weight you know that 2 leg quarters is too much for him :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just seems like a lot of food.
Ditto for our Cav chowing down two drumsticks a day. :)

I guess I was just thinking about stomach size, etc.
I also forgot that Kibble probably expanded in their stomachs.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Do you think two chicken leg quarters (one am and one pm) is too much for my standard poodle boy? He's on the smallish side for a spoo, he's 40lbs at 10 months.

He was emaciated when we rescued him (22lbs at about 19" tall).
My 2 Great Danes get a back and quarter each day. They are 125 & 145 lbs. They are also couch potatoes. They get beef hearts once a week(a bigger portion than a chicken quarter) and pork roast once a week (also a larger portion than a chicken quarter). Just keep an eye on his build and you will soon learn how much to feed him.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do.
Flip is pretty athletic, he's my agility star. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
My two boxers get about 1 CL quarter per day. I split them in half so they two meals though. Felix (53 lbs) is maintaining well on that. I need to up Delilah's (67 lbs.) intake though as she's lost a little bit too much weight on that, so sometimes she'll get a whole CLQ.

Sometimes the CLQ's vary a lot in size, if they are small (probably closer to .5lb) I'll just give them a whole one for each meal. It seems like some bags are full of little ones and some bags contain monsters. It evens out though.

Two drumsticks sounds like kind or a lot for a cav. but i'm sure you've already weighed out a couple to get an idea of their sizes. Another option, since it seems you are feeding CLQ is to split the leg from the thigh (with ribs) and then split the thigh in half for the cav. Flip could then get a drumstick (leg) for a meal and half a thigh for a meal. IF he is gaining too much weight with two CLQs.

My guys are generally couch potatoes though and just get a couple good runs outside a day then its back in to snooze. So, as always... your results may vary :tongue:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
my dogs only get one CL quarter per day and they are 25 lbs high metabolism and 45 lbs slow metabolism active dogs, so I'd be inclined to guess that two CL quarters/day for a 40 lbs dog is a bit too much. However, as everyone else said, watch his body condition and if he gets too fat, then you'll obviously want to back off.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
It's hard to say really with chicken leg quarters...
some bags I buy have huge ones, about a pound and a half each... but sometimes the bags have itty bitty ones. I had three in the last bag that were not even half a pound.

I feed my 20lb Corgi 1/2 lb per day, and USUALLY a thigh is about that.

By Boxer eats 1.5lbs per day, so she eats a whole quarter and then some.

I recommend buying a cheap scale, and measuring a few meals, so you get to know what their meals look like. We paid $4 for ours, and it was worth it. I don't use it anymore, but measuring out how much their meals were to know what they LOOK like really helped me eyeball it. I am not a big meat eater, so i had no idea what everything weighed at first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts