Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I have an 8 year old male Yorkie, Dexter, who has been getting bacterial infections on his skin that appear to be dark 'scabs' all over his body that can get dry and flaky or somewhat moist. This has been occurring since January of this year and has been on antibiotics and medicated shampoo 3 times now. He recently developed some small spots under his chin and on his neck that we know will spread and get bigger, after about 2 months since his last antibiotic round. After antibiotics, the scabs do heal, but there is still a black 'staining' that fades much slower.His vet has concluded that Dexter is having an allergy or sensitivity to something that will make him itch, and as he scratches, he breaks the skin and introduces the bacteria. Seems logical enough, however we have tried elimination diets, limited and assessed his reactions to his treats (always all natural, freeze-dried, raw vegetables/fruit), wash his feet/nails after every visit outside, and we haven't been able to get an idea why he's been getting these bacterial infections. We'll be making an appt this week to see what other testing or measures can be done.

Dexter has been on a raw diet since March of 2018, and we haven't looked back. He has been his most healthiest since the switch, and we couldn't be happier. My husband had researched raw brands and felt that Tollden Farms was ideal as it was the better rated company. We haven't bounced around from different brands as we wanted to ensure we kept a close eye on how he and his body responds to single proteins and maintain the same consistency within the brand. We've also determined that Dexter is also sensitive to poultry as he gets incredibly itchy and it irritates his throat due to a collapsed trachea. We gave Dexter a lot of chicken treats when we had a flood in the house to keep him calm while workers were present, and figured this was the start of the infections as he developed these scabs days later. But now that poultry is eliminated, the scabs keep coming back.

Curious if anyone has noticed a change in Tollden's quality or has any advice to offer.

Much appreciated,

Dorota

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Sorry I can't help as I feed pray model raw and not a commercial raw. Is there other stuff in it that could be the cause of the allergy's. I had one that was very bad so I know how it goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts