·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Richards Organics Flea & Tick Shampoo,

seems good for ticks any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Do you know if it has any effect on ticks? We don't have any flea problem at all, but do get really bad ticks at the start of every summer. Since it is called 'fleabusters' it doesn't sound like it would work on ticks but maybe?
Ack, sorry Chowder, didn't see this until now. No, it doesn't work on ticks because the FleaBusters powder, if used in the yard, goes to the ground. Ticks generally climb up shoots of grass or weeds or trees. So, while it may have a little effect on ticks, it's not something that they tout as a tick control. I emailed them and asked and that was the answer they gave me.

I do know that someone...dang it I forget where I read it...was working on a remedy for ticks, using nematodes, but that story came out years ago and thus far, they haven't found a way. I mean, how do you get the powder of nematodes to stay on the top of the grass blades or the side of a tree?

I am, however, interested in that mix of ACV that was on the other page. I'd like to know if anyone else has used that with any modicum of success. Cause right now...seems only chemicals really do the trick on ticks and even then it's not perfect.

Oh and by the way, I had said somewhere on this forum that when we first moved here that my girl got all kinds of tick bites on her. She did have a tick on her, I did find one. But she had so many bites. When I was explaining this to the vet, I was told that while she may have picked up a tick somewhere, the bites were more than likely black fly bites. Which, makes total sense because when we got here, they were everywhere. So now I have to find something that repels black flies, too. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Richards Organics Flea & Tick Shampoo,

seems good for ticks any other ideas?
Richards Organics rocks. I've only used it when my dog had fleas, I'll lather them up and let it sit as long as I can get away with, then rinse it and ALL the fleas fall off dead. My coworkers who have had problems with ticks swear by the stuff.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
but the real question is whether it prevents ticks or fleas..and how often to use it
Richards Organics rocks. I've only used it when my dog had fleas, I'll lather them up and let it sit as long as I can get away with, then rinse it and ALL the fleas fall off dead. My coworkers who have had problems with ticks swear by the stuff.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ya, I stopped using front-line and flea sprays etc about a year ago, I used to use them because I didn't know any better. Just like I fed Puri-crap for 5 years because I didn't know any better :frown:.
So far no big flea infestations, though I had found a flea here and there (before nematodes). I tried DE and it did help, granted there weren't many fleas to start. I tried giving ACV (Braggs Unfiltered) for a while but it was impossibly hard to get my brats to drink anything that had the acv in it. They don't seem to turn their nose up at garlic however, though I cannot say whether or not it works as they don't get it regularly.

I have to agree the nematodes (FleaBusters) are doing a darned good job of eating the fleas in MY yard, but the whole rest of the world on the other side of the gate isn't full of flea-eating nematodes. I didn't use their indoor product, whatever it is, only the nematodes (outdoor).
I don't use DE on my dogs anymore as it made them look like little ghosts, but I do use it at my door and the kitchen to keep the ants out (and other bugs possibly).

·
Registered
876 Posts
I hope people realize that "natural" products are chemicals too. So if you think you aren't "giving/applying chemicals" to you dog when you use a "natural product", think again.

Also, a product that is labeled "all natural" is not automatically better for your dog. Not only can they be just as toxic, but they may not be as stringently regulated as similar "chemical" products.

FWIW,

Products like frontline, advantics...... use synthetic chemicals. There's a huge difference between synthetic and natural chemicals. Perfect example is borax. borax is a natural occurring mineral. It can be toxic at very high levels, but is safe at low levels. Table salt is more toxic than borax. Now take boric acid, a synthetic human made version of borax. It is much more toxic than borax.

I'll use my dog as an example. When I use to give my dog frontline, advantics.... he would immediately develop hives on his back. Now I use apple cider vinegar in his food for fleas and an effective homemade tick/biting fly spray and no blistering skin. When I use to give my dog heartworm pills, his whole body would be covered in pimples with puss coming out. He would get them everywhere, even in his ears. The ivermeticin pesticide caused a staph skin infection. Nasty stuff. Now I give my dog the proper amount of raw garlic, that effectively takes care of heartworm and all other internal parasites. The best part is no staph skin infection. The proper amount of natural chemicals, are safe. I do not have any confidence that the proper amount of synthetic chemicals are safe.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ya, I stopped using front-line and flea sprays etc about a year ago, I used to use them because I didn't know any better. Just like I fed Puri-crap for 5 years because I didn't know any better :frown:.
So far no big flea infestations, though I had found a flea here and there (before nematodes). I tried DE and it did help, granted there weren't many fleas to start. I tried giving ACV (Braggs Unfiltered) for a while but it was impossibly hard to get my brats to drink anything that had the acv in it. They don't seem to turn their nose up at garlic however, though I cannot say whether or not it works as they don't get it regularly.

I have to agree the nematodes (FleaBusters) are doing a darned good job of eating the fleas in MY yard, but the whole rest of the world on the other side of the gate isn't full of flea-eating nematodes. I didn't use their indoor product, whatever it is, only the nematodes (outdoor).
I don't use DE on my dogs anymore as it made them look like little ghosts, but I do use it at my door and the kitchen to keep the ants out (and other bugs possibly).
Try adding the organic raw apple cider vinegar to some raw chop meat. you can also put in raw chopped garlic in the mix. Your dog will definitely eat it;0) It does work, you just have to do it routinely. I use it 5 days a week. The acv repells fleas, and the garlic kills internal parasites. The de is great for putting around your foundation, spraying your lawn and dusting your house.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just reading up on this as I was planning to put frontline on my dog soon. I too didn't know what DE was. Google is not your friend when it comes to overused abbreviations. OD, ID, OD, and there were a few others I saw on here that I didn't recognize at first.

What about ticks? If I take my dog fishing with me I'm really afraid of what might get on her if I don't protect her.

Edit: Would have already have used it if she hadn't got sick yesterday. Again, it seems I wasted my money because now it looks like I'm not going to use my frontline. What about the heartworm pill? Is that safe? And why oh why are vets recommending things that aren't safe to use? Why can't be as easy to find good dog info as it is to find good info on what to feed and use on humans?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Products like frontline, advantics...... use synthetic chemicals. There's a huge difference between synthetic and natural chemicals. Perfect example is borax. borax is a natural occurring mineral. It can be toxic at very high levels, but is safe at low levels. Table salt is more toxic than borax. Now take boric acid, a synthetic human made version of borax. It is much more toxic than borax.
Boric acid & borax are not the same thing. From Wikipedia:
"Boric acid may be prepared by reacting borax (sodium tetraborate decahydrate) with a mineral acid, such as hydrochloric acid..."

I'll use my dog as an example. When I use to give my dog frontline, advantics.... he would immediately develop hives on his back. Now I use apple cider vinegar in his food for fleas and an effective homemade tick/biting fly spray and no blistering skin. When I use to give my dog heartworm pills, his whole body would be covered in pimples with puss coming out. He would get them everywhere, even in his ears. The ivermeticin pesticide caused a staph skin infection. Nasty stuff. Now I give my dog the proper amount of raw garlic, that effectively takes care of heartworm and all other internal parasites. The best part is no staph skin infection. The proper amount of natural chemicals, are safe. I do not have any confidence that the proper amount of synthetic chemicals are safe.
Obviously your dog has a very sensitive system. Not every dog reacts like that to these treatments; I know mine don't. However, that being said, I do not know of any empirical scientific data that supports garlic as an effective preventative against heart worms or other internal parasites. Do you have links to any studies that support this statement?

People seem to be under the impression that something "natural" cannot be harmful or toxic, or that it's always better than a "synthetic" version. Unfortunately, this more marketing ploy that fact.
If something is CHEMICALLY identical, your body cannot tell the difference whether or not that chemical is "natural" or "synthetic"; it uses them in the same way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
And why oh why are vets recommending things that aren't safe to use?
I would like to know that answer as well. I know some vets in my office that won't even use it on there own dogs so why are they suggesting it to others? Vets can be money hungry though and let's face it.....that crap sells. You see all those cutesy commercials advertising k9 advantix and people buy into it...kind of like Beneful. They see all the veggies and meats they advertise on a beneful commercial and these owners think they are feeding there dogs excellents food :tsk:

41 - 52 of 52 Posts