Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought about doing a PM to Corgipaws and LuvinMyLabs as they are possessed by a boxer and bulldog respectively, but figured others thinking about the switch may have a similar observation.

After getting the other two dogs we have on raw comfortable with beef and organ, in about 2-3 weeks, we will be making the final conversions. One dog is the boxer.

While taking a nap this afternoon, with the youngster on one side and the boxer on the other, I awoke to a large yawning chasm of a mouth(the boxers) and got a really good look at her teeth. Darned smallest teeth I've ever seen on a dog. Zeke, the youngster has these nasty looking big ol' teeth in the back of his mouth and zig-zag interlocking front teeth. I can see that nothing is going to escape uncrunched or unshredded, unless he chooses so.

I'm guessing it is both teeth and jaw strenghth that crunch the bones. Jaw strenghth she'll have, but looking at those little teeth I can see why it takes her a bit of time to dispatch a chicken foot.

So for all you with "tiny little teeth", or those with that weird underbite, any issues with the size/type of bones?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I thought the very same when I saw Annie's wonky little puppy teeth. Boxers tend to have a lot of space between their teeth as puppies, and I was wondering if she'd even be able to eat raw.

With that being said, before she got her "big girl teeth" as we call them, lol, it definately took her some time to eat. Now that she has lost all her puppy teeth, she's much faster, but perhaps not as fast as my others. I would not, however, say that she has any problems or has to have any kind of special catering to. She eats the same stuff, same bones, etc that any other breed her size would and I never worry about it.

I can't even say for sure that it takes her longer because it takes more effort, because the dog I'm comparing her too was a total gulper on kibble, and inhales all food, wheras before being on raw, Annie took her sweet, sweet time, so the fact that it takes her more time could be entirely unrelated to her being a Boxer.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm amazed at the things they can chomp and chew. lol. I feed my Boxer just like any other dog her size would eat, and she handles it like a champ.:biggrin:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had looked in her mouth before, mostly to see what it was that she picked up and was trying to eat. Todays LOOK:eek: was a surprise at what I saw.

We sometimes joke that whoever it was that developed the boxer had a rather odd sense of humor. But you gotta love 'em!

·
Registered
219 Posts
My two boxers have no problem eating anything I give them. Dogs don't really use those little front teeth between the canines to chew anyway, if you watch you'll see them bring the food to the side of their mouth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts