Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been aware of the benefits of raw feeding since about 1998 when I saw a talk by Ian Billinhurst at my dog club. I bought his 1st 2 books & started April on the diet in Give Your Dog A Bone. It was very time consuming making the veggie mix which I had to find ways of getting her to eat it. She loved the raw bones though.

My dogs get bones occasionally, at least once or twice a week. Since buying Billinghurst's books I've bought his Barf book & Tom Lonsdales 2 books.

My new pup Tilba, 14 mths old has been scratching since I got her at 3 mths when she had some fleas, which I treated with Frontline then Advantage. Even though we got rid of the fleas she still scratches.

Monday she was spayed & the vet found 9 fleas on her, I think she may have got them there,:confused: I had bathed her the day b4 & there was no sign of blood in the water or black spots in her bed.

Anyway, the vet also said she had a lot of pustules on her tummy & thighs when she was shaved. She came home on a course of antibiotics.

The redness has faded, it looked like bad razor rash when she came home. But she's still scratching & she's learned to bite at her legs & tail even though she's wearing an elizabethan collar. At times the itch is so bad she seems to have a fit trying to get at it.

Now to my question regarding raw feeding. I have read in my books & on the net that dogs changed over to a raw diet, that originally had allergies/itchy skin, stopped itching & their skin improved. Is this 100% true, for those of you who have pets with a similar problem?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Now to my question regarding raw feeding. I have read in my books & on the net that dogs changed over to a raw diet, that originally had allergies/itchy skin, stopped itching & their skin improved. Is this 100% true, for those of you who have pets with a similar problem?
It's not 100% true but it happens quite often. Sometimes the skin problems are not caused by diet. There is a good chance that a raw diet won't help those. However a raw diet will strengthen the immune system to help the body fight off non food problems.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RFD. If she doesn't improve when the stitches come out I'll give it a try. The last 2 nights she's had raw chicken legs for dinner.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
My Pennywise had some skin allergies for a while there, mostly with dry flakey skin and some forepaw licking. Ever since she got switched to raw, the dandruff is gone and so is most of the forepaw licking. She seems to do it more out of boredom or habit now, rather than the fervent and obsessive behavior she had with it before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts