Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
My dog was a stray and grew up on the steets of Mexico before I adopted her. Funny you say this because it's exactly what I thought when I fed raw for the first time, I just imagined what she must have ate to survive! She transitioned to raw with virtually no problems or diarrhea.

Hope that stray guy you eep seeing is able to find a nice home!
My brother and sister in law brought back a stray from Japan that had been running the streets - it was amazing what she could eat. I think she's almost 20 years old now, and still eating every horrible disgusting thing she can get her mouth around.

·
Registered
233 Posts
20 years, wow!! More proof how a strict commercial dog food only diet can be detrimental. ;P Ahhh, gotta love the determination of a stray.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I suggest you complete the dog's diet with raw meat, brown rice and veggies. Do not stick to only raw meat. The dog's diet must be all around.
I think that's a BARF diet, not a raw diet. PMR feeders do not believe that dogs need grains and vegetables, considering they are carnivores :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I suggest you complete the dog's diet with raw meat, brown rice and veggies. Do not stick to only raw meat. The dog's diet must be all around.
Dogs are carnivores. Carnivores eat meat, bones, and organs of any animal they can catch and kill. There are no needed nutrients in brown rice or veggies that is not in meat, bones, and organs of the prey animals that eat them. Dogs are not biologically equipped to efficiently digest plant matter and have no dietary need for them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1. thy shall watch you dog poop, lol

really, that´s the most important thing along with different sources of protein, in my opinion.

that, and common sense, don´t feed your dog a femur
Take a look at the sticky on poop. I never looked at it until the other day so I didn't really know what I was looking at. I found my dog is mostly in the 75% - 100% bracket but I didn't know that......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am concerned about my 8 year old greyhound. He has an excellent blood panel 2 weeks ago. He keeps going from solid poop to diarrhea even though I only feed chicken and some turkey at this point. What do I feed if he is not going to tolerate chicken. He needs to gain weight and is getting too thin since being on raw. I tried Satin Balls, skinning and de-fatting as much as possible. His coat had been thin and although it it now shiny it is not coming back in. His only health issue is arthritis and I give him Glucosamine/Chondoitin, yogurt with DE, coconut oil and RAW ACV with the mother. I am at a loss.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I am concerned about my 8 year old greyhound. He has an excellent blood panel 2 weeks ago. He keeps going from solid poop to diarrhea even though I only feed chicken and some turkey at this point. What do I feed if he is not going to tolerate chicken. He needs to gain weight and is getting too thin since being on raw. I tried Satin Balls, skinning and de-fatting as much as possible. His coat had been thin and although it it now shiny it is not coming back in. His only health issue is arthritis and I give him Glucosamine/Chondoitin, yogurt with DE, coconut oil and RAW ACV with the mother. I am at a loss.
(You may want to start your own thread...but here are my thoughts)
Ok, so if you give him "satin balls" " yogurt w/ DE, Coconut oil and ACV" then you arent only feeding chicken with some turkey....you need to cut back to JUST one food....one protein...ONE FOOD!
(How long has he been on raw?)

But if he isnt fairing well its probably because you are throwing to much at him, along with SOO much that isnt species appropriate!:wink:

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Scarlett! I will start another thread. I understand not throwing in too many proteins however in other posts RAW folks are telling me to put his supplements in yogurt so that is what I do with all of my dogs yet he has the poop issues. Rather than put him on Rimadyl for arthritis, I chose natural things. What am I suppose to do about his arthritis if I only feed one thing and give him nothing for relief or nothing for flea and parasite control, etc. RAW doesn't control everything, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm an American working in Asia with Billy Junior, my miniature Schnauzer of 3-years. You can go into facebook and ask him to be your friend. There you can see his treadmill, swimming and agility workouts.

Anyway, to the point.

We were originally on Addiction and through the introduction of a trainer I started BJ on Raw. Read all kinds of research but, her being a trainer with mini's too I decided to follow. We started with beef and i was not an advocate on any veggie or fruit as I've read up on all that.

Well, think starting with beef--like the trainer did--was a WHOPPING big mistake. BJ didn't poo for 48-hours and when he did he presented the dreaded muddy pudding-poo.

I've just now read about the proper mix of foods and stuff and am now gonna go back and do it right.

My question/concern is should I first fast him (he's eaten this morning already) then start with chicken back or just proceed right away with backs?

Or should I feed him yogurt or something to smooth things down?

He's fine otherwise--energy wise, but, a bit more nap-taking than normal...guess its the stomach--and we've an obedience trial tomorrow that I want him up and healthy for.

Hope I get some feedback within the next hour or so, although I know that's pushing it.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting in-the-mix on this forum.

billcalhoun.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take a look at the sticky on poop. I never looked at it until the other day so I didn't really know what I was looking at. I found my dog is mostly in the 75% - 100% bracket but I didn't know that......
Excuse me, but where do you find a "sticky", and what is it? :-|

·
Registered
228 Posts
Excuse me, but where do you find a "sticky", and what is it? :-|
Stickies are threads that have been "stickied" so they stay at the top of each forum section because they have been deemed to have important information. If you look at the top of each forum section you will see the sticky threads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. When switching to raw, the best thing is to change abruptly, without mixing commercial dog food with the BARF diet.

2. rotate meat, fruit and vegetable you give your dog daily

3. be patient and observe your dog to determine what's best for it

4. follow the general raw rule: if the dog is losing weight – feed it more, if the dog is gaining weight- feed it less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have people commend me all the time for raw feeding. Stormy has IBS and just couldn't digest the kibble no matter how much it cost. Even grain free wasn't working. Switched tio raw 4 months ago and he is doing great. I took him off all meds too and he is thriving great, I am happy and so is he, :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts